Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new way to rule as Creation's Overlords (Alternative Country Management System)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new way to rule as Creation's Overlords (Alternative Country Management System)

Want to rule a great empire and don't like the rules (or lack of them) in the Leadership system in 3e currently? Do you want something a bit more tangible to represent the growth of your kingdom? Do you want to see the results of a system I basically slammed out in a day with no playtesting and completely eyeballing the numbers for it? Well I got just the thing for you.

The Creation's Overlords Subsystem

Using the chassis of Exalted 3e's social influence system combined with ideas from Fate, this system represents how one can start from a small town to ruling an entire direction with simple(ish) rules to go along with it. One can build the golden utpoia that exists within the minds of their characters, but after overcoming numerous hardships both internal and external to your own Organization. Does your character have the skill to see his organization soar to such heights that it will be remembered until the end of days or will it vanish in the sands of time? Only you can tell that story!

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Looks Good. I would love to see this expanded upon. I am going to run this by my more city running players to see about implementing it in a way. Maybe add to some charms so they interact with this system. Charms that cement cohesion of the society seem like a good way to solve out problem with their cities being able to be wrecked by Fury Inciting Speech and other Solar Performance based charms.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
      Looks Good. I would love to see this expanded upon. I am going to run this by my more city running players to see about implementing it in a way. Maybe add to some charms so they interact with this system. Charms that cement cohesion of the society seem like a good way to solve out problem with their cities being able to be wrecked by Fury Inciting Speech and other Solar Performance based charms.
      Yea I got the same thing on 4chan. I slammed this out in a day so I'm somewhat "bleh" on making charms at the current moment, but one idea I heard is that you could use Cohesion to help guard against powerful performance charms so long as they align with a philosophy within the organization, based in the socialize tree. Since this is pretty similar to social influence, you can crib some charms from those in a pinch.

I mean I may revisit it in the future, but for now I'll take a break.

Comment

I like it! Though I plan to compare it against other infrastructure systems and have my players pick; think I'm up to 3 different choices now xD

I do plan to do a little bit if addition on the system, if we go with this one. I want to add a separate mote pool 'bank' = to a characters personal mote pool that allows them to pay for charms used in this system. Beyond those, a character would need to commit other character resources. Motes from the bank would be comitted until an interval has concluded.

I'd also add a 'systems knowledge' requirement to avoid the -3 non-leader penalty, where a character would need to have access to an organizations history and recent practices (that is, working in the day to day) to avoid the penalty. This could be avoided with a study action to get back up to speed on the org. To steal an example from a pretty mediocre show, I like to think of it as the Danny Rand problem. Cjaracters with a high lore, linguistics, bureaucracy or investigation may be able to alleviate this issue.

To give the problem teeth, I'd make it a -3 final successes rather than dice penalty.

If I wanted to go really extravagent on this I'd start considering how the systen can convert to less abstract resources. For example, use an asset to increase character redources, to provide craft xp, and (my personal favorite) to provide merit dots, to promote certain intimacies in a population of influence. This would be kind of similar to the old school 2nd edition high end socialize and bureaucracy charms, only with the added expense and limitation of maintaining an organization.

Applying this system to elemental courts and the Celestial Bureaucracy could have some really cool effects, like having a Sidereal lobby for dense fig on the evening of a stealthy Wyld Hunt raid or a volcanic eruption in a Lumar territory. To a lesser degree the Guild and I. Order could employ these sorts of tactics as well.

I really like the use of competency as a static value alongside asssets as intimacies.

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
          I do plan to do a little bit if addition on the system, if we go with this one. I want to add a separate mote pool 'bank' = to a characters personal mote pool that allows them to pay for charms used in this system. Beyond those, a character would need to commit other character resources. Motes from the bank would be comitted until an interval has concluded.
          That's one way. I just included the mote thing as a stopgap, as having infinite motes is crap.

To give the problem teeth, I'd make it a -3 final successes rather than dice penalty.
          Don't. 2e went down that path and it set the bar for base competency at extremely high levels. I don't wish to emulate that.

If I wanted to go really extravagent on this I'd start considering how the systen can convert to less abstract resources. For example, use an asset to increase character redources, to provide craft xp, and (my personal favorite) to provide merit dots, to promote certain intimacies in a population of influence. This would be kind of similar to the old school 2nd edition high end socialize and bureaucracy charms, only with the added expense and limitation of maintaining an organization.
          As for backgrounds who says you can't do that? Influence can increased by memetic attacks on rival organizations, Resources can be increased by gaining more wealth, Crafting XP can be done by making great works while in the system itself (Hell only requires a single crafting roll for most mundane things), and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

That's one way. I just included the mote thing as a stopgap, as having infinite motes is crap.
            Agreed.

Don't. 2e went down that path and it set the bar for base competency at extremely high levels. I don't wish to emulate that.
            Given what I'm looking to emulate, perhaps it would make more sense to simply ban it altogether. Perhaps what I'll do instead is prohibit such an action unless one is the "leader" of an asset, with the strength of the asset determining the difficulty of co-opting a parent organization. Or perhaps it's not worth the trouble...

As for backgrounds who says you can't do that? Influence can increased by memetic attacks on rival organizations, Resources can be increased by gaining more wealth, Crafting XP can be done by making great works while in the system itself (Hell only requires a single crafting roll for most mundane things), and so on.
            Pardon, I wasn't criticizing so much as brainstorming. The system as written seems very focused on organizations as adversaries, I was considering what an Org could do as an operating entity.

Sure, mimetic warfare is one thing, but I'm more thinking about what an intimacy of "sanitation is vital" could do to a cholera outbreak . As for craft xp, I was thinking more along the range of gold or white xp, provoding the character with a means of getting it without having to personally forge every artow or lay every brick.

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

Given what I'm looking to emulate, perhaps it would make more sense to simply ban it altogether. Perhaps what I'll do instead is prohibit such an action unless one is the "leader" of an asset, with the strength of the asset determining the difficulty of co-opting a parent organization. Or perhaps it's not worth the trouble...
              If you want to be overly punishing, maybe an asset of the company will try to work against you if you're not the leader or something like that. Charms such as Flawless Disguise would greatly reduce or nullify any penalties.

Pardon, I wasn't criticizing so much as brainstorming. The system as written seems very focused on organizations as adversaries, I was considering what an Org could do as an operating entity.

Sure, mimetic warfare is one thing, but I'm more thinking about what an intimacy of "sanitation is vital" could do to a cholera outbreak . As for craft xp, I was thinking more along the range of gold or white xp, provoding the character with a means of getting it without having to personally forge every artow or lay every brick.
              I focused on organizations as adversaries yes, but remember that flaws are tangible things. If you have a cholera outbreak just look at the intimacy level to set it at how bad it is. Is it a minor problem or something major that's really sweeping through the area? You could use Medicine to crush it instead of other abilities in this case, as leaving it alone could cause it to grow in strength much faster than another flaw. Eventually it could be bad enough to be a defining problem that leeches resources from your organization! (Remember, flaws are still assets, so if you fail to do the pyramid structure it means you'll be limited in the actions you can take).

As for what the intimacy can do? Narratively it could slow the spread of an illness flaw so that if it appeared you don't need to fix it *right now* and handle other pressing issues you may have at hand.

As for craft XP, I'd say a bunch of silver or gold XP. I honestly don't pay much attention to Craft as to say I dislike it would be an understatement.

Comment

Working...
              X