Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loom Server Migration?

So... I've been having a thinky, and I just realized something odd:

Loom Server Migration (Essence 3, 2xp): If the Alchemical activates the Charm in Creation or another realm of existence governed by the Loom of Fate, this Axiomatic submodule can send an autonomic prayer to the pattern spiders to indicate that he, a fellow servant of Autochthon, wishes orderly integration. The machine spirits then spin tattered strands from the broken constellation of the Mask around the Champion, bringing him fully into fate with an innocuous and unremarkable destiny for as long as the Charm remains active. He returns to the Design of Autochthon upon conclusion.

The creation-bound fate will run out when you stop the charm. Integrated Artifact Transmogrifier costs 5m to keep running - that's a mighty steep cost to keep one from being outside of creation's fate while in town.

...wouldn't it make more sense of the submodule did give you a creation-tied fate, but then it would require some minor dramatic act to shirk it later on, regardless of whether the charm has been turned off.

Just a thought - totally doesn't have anything to do with me having started a new game up centering on an assembly of alchies getting stuck in creation

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

A setting/rules trivia to consider - a creature is considered "out of fate" because it was most probably until recently not in Creation and consequently not on its purview. The moment it enters Creation and starts interacting with things and beings from it, that starts to change by little incremental steps and the longer such a creature stays, the greater is the chance of its flailing snaring and subsuming it into the Loom, with a fate-thread of its own. Pretty sure it is somewhere in the (2e) books and has been commented upon before.

Nothing in Creation stays out of fate forever - the problem is how long and how far such a being can go in doing literally unpredictable stuff and make waves before its assimilation.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 02-08-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Going a step farther - Loom Server Migration shortcuts the natural process in Baaldam's post. All the coolness of being inside Fate, instantly, for a few motes of commitment. It probably also keeps you off a Sidereal's investigative to-do list of 'all the things from outside of Fate that got integrated this season'. When it ends, though, you're back to square 1, outside of Fate, and subject to ties to Fated creatures, waiting to be assimilated.

In your scenario, OP, integrating to Fate could be a whole plot point. One that any player who bought Loom Server Migration could be a super-spy in, always in a Sidereal's blind spot.

The Lunar Castebooks fan project

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
        A setting/rules trivia to consider - a creature is considered "out of fate" because it was most probably until recently not in Creation and consequently not on its purview. The moment it enters Creation and starts interacting with things and beings from it, that starts to change by little incremental steps and the longer such a creature stays, the greater is the chance of its flailing snaring and subsuming it into the Loom, with a fate-thread of its own. Pretty sure it is somewhere in the (2e) books and has been commented upon before.

Nothing in Creation stays out of fate forever - the problem is how long and how far such a being can go in doing literally unpredictable stuff and make waves before its assimilation.
        Not exactly. Manual of Exalted Power:Sidereals page 125. Primordials, Yozi, Neverborn, are always Outside of Fate, as are all Alchemicals, Third and Second Circle demons, Deathlords, Hekatonkhires, and Noble Fair Folk, and some Behemoths and creatures native to the farther Wyld.

However, lesser creatures from out of fate --ghosts, first circle demons, lesser fair folk, and such-- may or may not fall within fate's purview when In Fate (storyteller's decision, case by case).

​In addition, Abyssal Exalted had charms which could temporarily place them Outside of Fate, while Infenal Exalted were Outside of Fate unless they used the Loom Snarling Deception charm.

​Of course, anything not in Creation or Yu Shan is considered Out of Fate​, which makes them Outside of Fate for the duration.

​In summary: Whether you are In or Out of Fate depends on where you are. Whether you are Outside of Fate or not depends on what you are.
        Last edited by Greyman; 02-09-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
          Not exactly. Manual of Exalted Power:Sidereals page 125. Primordials, Yozi, Neverborn, are always Outside of Fate, as are all Alchemicals, Third and Second Circle demons, Deathlords, Hekatonkhires, and Noble Fair Folk, and some Behemoths and creatures native to the farther Wyld.

However, lesser creatures from out of fate --ghosts, first circle demons, lesser fair folk, and such-- may or may not fall within fate's purview when In Fate (storyteller's decision, case by case).

​In addition, Abyssal Exalted had charms which could temporarily place them Outside of Fate, while Infenal Exalted were Outside of Fate unless they used the Loom Snarling Deception charm.

​Of course, anything not in Creation or Yu Shan is considered Out of Fate​, which makes them Outside of Fate for the duration.

​In summary: Whether you are In or Out of Fate depends on where you are. Whether you are Outside of Fate or not depends on what you are.

Thanks for clearing up my imprecise memory and bringing up the 2e references in the right. I imagine it should be off great help to the OP in defining how it wants to work it out on its game and get the creative juices flowing.

One thought that crosses my mind is that alchemicals, specially Moonsilver and Adamant caste with their spycraft & secret police themes, having some false fate/identity-shenanigans "software slot" charmset (more like Weaving or the MA one in that you get one charm for the venue/option instead of individual charms) inspired by Loom Snarling Deception and its tree would not be far-fetched. Considering Alchemical Weaving are supposedly connected to Loom-shenanigans already, it might not even call for a new charm per se, but a "lateral upgrade", so to speak.

Alternatively, the Jadeborn's "Forbbiden Path" that exploits fate-weaving offers another possible precedent/source of inspiration for "beings touched by the Maker's grace messing with Fate" stuff', i guess. Just my two cents off half-baked thought on the topic.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 02-09-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

fair enough - and I do plan on making it a very important plot point to make the players realize the kind of damage they're doing to local reality, and then seek a means to fix it

I figure I'll tie it into their quite likely more immideate quest to find a way to allow them to build their own charms - which will also depend on how crafting focused they end up being. Goal 1 will be making a local vat complex - which will be difficult, to put it mildly.

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Call me lazy, but only time i played an Alchie i took the "easy maitenance road" of MAs and Weavings to spare myself the bookeeping about slots, commited motes, vats & etc. Flexible, less resource committment, greater self-reliance, even more convenient in Creation with its scarcity of appropriate hardware.

As an aside, do you have 1e Sidereals? It had both a missions table and Loom screw-ups table that could be quite covenient - and entertaining - as a tool to explore this "unwittinggly damaging fate" angle. Accidental contact with Sidereals checking for demons, fae, ghosts or what the source of a problem might be is most certainly an option.

Comment

oh they'll run into sids sooner or later

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                  oh they'll run into sids sooner or later
                  The references to Fate and the Loom kind of bring that expectation to mind.

As an aside, ever considered the possibility of treating Acquitances as minor agents/tools of Fate, with maybe access to one astrological college (the one reflecting the mortal's favored skill) as thaumaturgy-like effects, like Stanewald's dances? I used that as an experiment in my Sidereals game and like the results enough to insert the occasional weird oracle/guide figure in other games.

Comment

nah - sounds too complicated. A sid with the dream-based SMA can sneak in and insert dreams and omens into people they want to be oracles - or have a dream spirit drop off a specific dream with the desired omens

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                      nah - sounds too complicated. A sid with the dream-based SMA can sneak in and insert dreams and omens into people they want to be oracles - or have a dream spirit drop off a specific dream with the desired omens
                      ..... or, ya know, just use a frickin' terrestrial circle spell?

Sidereal martial arts just for dream manipulation? What the hell?

Comment

I like where you're going with this.

There are some story ideas that spin out of this too. I can imagine some people in Creation or Yu Shan being *very* concerned that some outsider could gain access that trivially.

I can also imagine a sorcerous (or axiomatic?) working as a plot point to re-establish more permanent links.

I'd be tempted to be a little silly and in-jokey, and start working in web- and techie-talk names and ideas: Acronis the Restorer, who remembers things as they were. Golden Barracuda, whose voice whispers secrets to those far away. [A PATCHY MULTIPHASE COGITATOR] of the Alchemicals, she who weaves the web, and who has Intimacies for extra maintenance cycles. The Oracle, who knows all things but whose services are extremely expensive. The Acrobat of Red Bricks, who publicly strives to bring literacy to the world, but secretly partners with a corrupt magistrate, only known as Norton, to infiltrate his shadowy and unwelcome presence into all places.

(I'm very sorry for the last paragraph)

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                        X