Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the curent state of the Exalted game line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the curent state of the Exalted game line?

What is the current state of the Exalted game line?

Has it's increase in buyers out paced the gradual lose?

What is the current moral of it's existing fan base?

What do buyers look forward to?

What do they not look forward to?

When is the current estimate when the current edition will end?

What is the current likelihood a 4th edition will occur?

I ask out of pure ignorance. I am a cup to be filled.

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
    Better than 3E has ever been thanks to the new developers. Still a bit far in between releases, but it's fine.

No idea.

Some fans lost interest because they had to wait so long for the corebook and then wait even longer for supplements to start coming out. Many feel that they need a new splat (DBs) to reignite interest. Personally I still play the game online every day. There is also a small minority who has decided to boycot Onyx Path products in general, but I don't think they put much of a dent on the Exalted sales.

Splats. Splats. Splats.

More delays.

It will probably continue as long as the developers want to keep going, and as long as Onyx Path can make a profit. There's a solid fanbase for the game, and only a small minority is vocal online.

Very unlikely that there will ever be one. I think 3E is the last installment, and I think it will continue for years.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: February 15, 2018

Comment

Oh, there might well be a 4th edition in 10-15 years, but not one on the horizon.

I think what people are looking forward to is definitely splats. The gameline plan has changed around a bit, I think partly because of stuff people were less looking forward to. It's not that people don't want Paths of Brigid or Towers of the Mighty, they just want Lunars more.

(Currently the schedule seems to be keep on releasing the two bestiaries a bit at a time, Dragonblood, The Realm, Lunars. After that the devs want to do an ST guide followed by Exigents, but that's not an official schedule.)

I think morale amongst fans has picked up recently, simply because stuff has come out. There was a huge wait for the Core, and many people got bored. Then it came out, people got excited, there was a good kickstarter supplement to it... and then nothing else came out for ages.

But the new developers got out Arms of the Chosen in... November? October? I don't remember when exactly. And they're doing two bestiaries which are being released a little at a time. Also, the DB Kickstarter is scheduled to be the next Onyx Path Kickstarter, so presumably it won't be that long, and they said they weren't going to do it until Dragonblood was virtually done. So it seems very likely DB will be out some time in the middle of the year. The Realm probably won't be out a huge time after that.
      I hope Lunars will be out by the end of the year, but I think it's unlikely.

Essentially, they just need to consistently get books out in a reasonable timeframe, and it looks like they're getting into that. I have no idea of total sales, but I think if Dragonblood is good it will draw old fans back in.

I actually play Exalted every 2 months, and most of the guys I play with play a couple of other Exalted games with other people. I actually started running Rogue Trader because we play so much Exalted. But it's difficult to tell how widespread that is; the Meetup Roleplaying group I'm on never advertises Exalted games. It's DnD, DnD, DnD, Shadowrun, Paranoia, DnD, some arty one-shots, DnD, some more indie games, Numinera, DnD. (I actually enjoy my DnD game partly as a change from Exalted, a chance to engage in some nostalgic stereotypical fantasy as low-level characters). Most of the players have never heard of Exalted (though they have heard of Masquerade, Mage, etc).
      But then, I imagine most gaming groups mostly play DnD, and that's always going to be the case.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        I actually play Exalted every 2 months, and most of the guys I play with play a couple of other Exalted games with other people. I actually started running Rogue Trader because we play so much Exalted. But it's difficult to tell how widespread that is; the Meetup Roleplaying group I'm on never advertises Exalted games. It's DnD, DnD, DnD, Shadowrun, Paranoia, DnD, some arty one-shots, DnD, some more indie games, Numinera, DnD. (I actually enjoy my DnD game partly as a change from Exalted, a chance to engage in some nostalgic stereotypical fantasy as low-level characters). Most of the players have never heard of Exalted (though they have heard of Masquerade, Mage, etc).
        But then, I imagine most gaming groups mostly play DnD, and that's always going to be the case.
        I love DnD. For completely different reasons that I love Exalted.

I've been running an RPoL pbp game ever since the 3E corebook dropped, and the game has progressed more or less every day. We're going to run the 12th story arc now, hoping to time its end with the DB release. Then we're going to drop the Solars for new DB character but continue in the same setting, a few years after. We plan to do the same when Lunars drop, and so on.

I also ran once a month for a year IRL with three friends. But we recently switched over to Machineborn instead a couple of months ago (my custom sci-fi setting).

So as far as my interest goes, it never dwindled. Not even during the delays. But I'm the obsessive type of nerd.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: February 15, 2018

Comment

Of note is that when Arms of the Chosen dropped, it hit Platinum on DriveThru in six days, only a couple of days longer than it took Shards of the Exalted Dream. Most books that hit Platinum do so on the order of weeks or months.

So... there may have been a bit of a dropoff, but most of the buying audience is still out there.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

That's quite a good sign. I wonder if there's a lot of people who stopped playing because all they had was the Core, and so were eager to see the new thing. I also wonder if people knew there was a new writing/development team, and wanted to see what they'd done with it.

Comment

Pretty happy about the state of the line so far.

Excited for Dragonblooded and the Realm but annoyed that Lunars got pushed up on the schedule.

Comment

Whereas I'm delighted that Lunars got pushed up on the schedule.

I think, splat-wise, there's no real order that can make everyone happy.

Comment

Lunars being earlier is going to be helpful for a few reasons at least.

1) Most common Exalt after Lunars, so most "justifiable" to use in a lo tof contexts
                  2) Lets the devs do an Attribute Exalt at least once so they have a better idea of hwo to do them for Exigents.
                  3) Devs seem enthused to do Lunars, which will likely help in quality of content.

And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Craft Houserules

Comment

I think it probably will do a better job at drawing back old fans into the gameline, setting up a base of enthusiastic players to be sold new things, like Exigents.

Though I'm mostly just enthusiastic because each of the games I play has a Lunar in it, and it's annoying not to have rules for them. Plus, I retired a Lunar when 3rd ed came out, and I'd like to play one again. Or even run a Lunars-only game, though I doubt I'll have the chance.

Comment

Possibly it's worth mentioning that Robert Vance (one of the two lead developers) announced today that Exigents (which will be after Dragonblood and Lunars) will also include an appendix with 3 completely new kinds of Exalts. I imagine that should get people interested, without taking up much writing time that'd put back the more classic splats, such as Abyssals and Sidereals.

Comment

The new exalts not getting full books actually makes me pretty happy. When I heard that lunars where going to get foil exalts I was pretty worried. I have had a hard enough time integrating them into the setting without dealing with a bunch of exalts being attached to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Calboon View Post
                          The new exalts not getting full books actually makes me pretty happy. When I heard that lunars where going to get foil exalts I was pretty worried. I have had a hard enough time integrating them into the setting without dealing with a bunch of exalts being attached to them.
                          I kinda know what one of the Lunar foils is and they weren't exactly a huge problem that Lunar games need to revolve around.

Based purely on my own observations - they're a threat that they've successfully kept contained unlike the Raksha who ran roughshod over them like they weren't there when it actually mattered. They're also mega creepy.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            Possibly it's worth mentioning that Robert Vance (one of the two lead developers) announced today that Exigents (which will be after Dragonblood and Lunars) will also include an appendix with 3 completely new kinds of Exalts. I imagine that should get people interested, without taking up much writing time that'd put back the more classic splats, such as Abyssals and Sidereals.
                            Got a link, perchance?

Comment

Changing developers brought new life to 3e for sure. They aren't burdened by the weight of the 3e core book delay (legitimate though the reasons for it surely were). Personally, I'm also more a fan of Vance's style of writing mechanics than the "natural language" approach of the core book. However, of course, the new team has yet to release a splat book, and it remains to be seen how it turns out. Since it's Terrestrials next, and those were my favourites in 2e, there's a lot hanging on this for me.

It's always hard to talk about sales, since we don't know the figures. So far, on DriveThruRPG, all the 3e books have hit Platinum quickly, but those tier are proportional and can't tell us anything about actual sales. It does indicate a strong relative interest, however.

Do you mean moral or morale? If it's the latter, I think we're doing well. There's homebrew happening and the forum talks more of possibilities than problems. This indicated to me that the core rules has stood the test of time so far, and no one has discovered any serious issues with them, which does mean that for all the bad press around 3e core, it did what it fundamentally set out to do. I think we're hopeful and optimistic.

Anything, really. The books are coming slow, and we're kind of watering at the mouth.

Uh, I dunno. Their favourite books being bad, I guess?

No such estimate. Despite 3e having been talked about for some time, the game line is still in its infancy. I don't think anyone is looking to produce another core book any time soon, anyway.

There are two possibilties: Exalted ends with 3e, or a 4e comes to replace it. Either way, the conditions and factors for such events are much to complex to put a number on.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Working...
                              X