Exalted 1E/2E Question: Canon Mentions of the SouthEastern Savannah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted 1E/2E Question: Canon Mentions of the SouthEastern Savannah

Hi. I'm trying to find canon mentions of the Far Southeastern Savannah in 1E or 2E Materials for a 2.5 game I'm going to run. I'm devising a custom region of my own to fill in the gaps (the Dream Sea idea is cool, but I want to do something else).

I've done some hunting through the 1E Scavanger Sons and the 2E Directions books, and all I can find is:

TCoCD-II The Wyld
    In the Southeast, between Wyld-twisted jungle and savannahs full of strange beasts, lies the Ruby Court, ruled by Duke Aral and advised by Shikuzi the Weaver.

TCoTD-III The East
    The wealthy of Chanta can wear silks from the Blessed Isle, ivory from the Southern savanna and pearls from the West, shaped by Halta’s finest artisans.

In the deepest Southeast, the trees shade into baobabs and acacia before giving way to saw grass and savanna. Areas of swampland fill low-lying regions.

Eastern cultures tend to be isolated. Cultural patterns may persist over a thousand miles, but each tribe may know only its immediate neighbors. Deep in the East, people know nothing of the Realm, the Scavenger Lands or the Guild.
    If anyone is aware of further mentions (one line here or there) I would be sincerely grateful.

If you look in 1st ed Lunars, it has very small bits of info about the Lunars that live there (the Thousand Fangs Total Control Zone).

In I think 2nd ed Wyld, it talks about a fire-mutant tribe that lives deep in the southeast and find Creation freezing cold.

There's a couple more mentions of it having lots of savannah.

In Dreams of the First Age, it talks about a flying hunting city there.

That's everything I can remember. There's not a lot of info.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I vaguely remember something about an order of assassins and their goddess who could inhabit them during assassinations being based in the southeast savannah.

Comment

The Grass Spiders maybe?

Comment

Thanks guys I'll take a look.

Comment

MoEP:Dragon-blooded, page 68: "In the savannas of the Southeast, around the Sandy River and the fertile plains of Chaya."

​CoCD:East places Chaya and the Sandy River Region to the south east of the Scavenger Lands, apparently near the three lakes that are now near the northern tip of the Dreaming Sea - west of Champoor.
            Last edited by Greyman; 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Eh, most 2nd ed stuff (like the map) has Chaya on the north side of the jungle, thousands of miles from the South-Eastern savannah.

Comment

The Thousand Fang Army was, in 1e and 2e, a pack of Lunars operating around Mahalanka and under the tutelage of Raksi. And, yeah, Chaya is an edge-of-the-Scavenger-Lands thing.

The almost complete lack of anything in the Southeastern savannah and the complete lack of anything interesting is why we put the Dreaming Sea there in 3e. Like, literally all we know about it across all of 1e and 2e is that it’s referred to as the Southeastern savannah.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                  The Thousand Fang Army was, in 1e and 2e, a pack of Lunars operating around Mahalanka and under the tutelage of Raksi. And, yeah, Chaya is an edge-of-the-Scavenger-Lands thing.

The almost complete lack of anything in the Southeastern savannah and the complete lack of anything interesting is why we put the Dreaming Sea there in 3e. Like, literally all we know about it across all of 1e and 2e is that it’s referred to as the Southeastern savannah.
                  Stephen, thanks for the answer, I figured as much.

Comment

Ok, I found *one more* reference in the 1E Book of 3 Circles:

THE CITY OF THE MAD
                    Description: Con men sell maps to it, but few of those who have found the city's location in the Far Southeast speak of its location. Those who seek it are hesitant to share their theories. With its crumbling spires reaching up like the twisted claw of some long dead beast, the City of the Mad is a forgotten and decimated ruin populated by madmen and shunned by the cattle-herding clans who claim the lands around it.This once glorious city of a previous age is rumored to be the home of Sonah's school -the first College of Magic. If this is true, then the city is a treasure trove of knowledge for those brave and wily enough to locate it.

Dozens of madmen roam the ruins of the city, each claiming to be one of the great sorcerers of lore. They speak of great feats of magic they have performed but then claim they have forgotten the secrets in the intervening years. And yet, those who have returned from the city claim there is something in the eyes of its inhabitants. These men may well be the sorcerers they claim to be, possibly driven mad by the relentless march of time. Certainly, none of the natives of the regions around the city will brave the place. The barbarians hesitate even to speak of it and will not lead seekers toward it unless given good reason. Perhaps this is because they have seen the things that the so-called madmen of the city hide from more casual visitors.

Populated by madmen or not, those who return from the city (and many do not) inevitably come back bearing wis*dom. This knowledge may not be the secrets they sought, but it is almost always insight that they need. Sometimes, a sorcerer returns from the city with a fragment of an ancient document or a bit of statue, but more often than not, this wisdom comes from the ramblings of a madman who loiters about while the sorcerer digs in vain for a lost store of scrolls. These small pieces of proof are enough to convince many that the school is out there, somewhere.And, for the sorcerer lucky enough to find the school, the ancient secrets of sorcery are there as well.

Game Effects: If the City of the Mad truly exists,
                    then it would seem to be inhabited by immortals -mad ones. This is more proof, if any was needed, of the generally held assertion that immortality is a curse and not a blessing. The city is clearly protected or perhaps cursed in some fashion -those who have gone there to excavate it wholesale or conquer it have always come to terrible ends. Though explorers seem able to spend ex*tended periods in the city, even they eventually succumb to the curse or die in terrible accidents.

Comment

Huh, that's pretty cool, I didn't remember that.

Comment

Working...
                      X