BogMod's Strange Materials and Their Uses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BogMod's Strange Materials and Their Uses

So I love the idea of the magical materials. However there are times however like their emphasis makes Creation basically just have the stuff you find on Earth plus these super metals. Or its D&D and instead of mithril and adamantium we have the 5 Magical Materials. Furthermore the lack of a wide variety of strange plants, rocks and critters limits as well certain wise and learned character concepts even if it is very understandable why such things would not end up taking up a lot of word count. To that end I am going to post some of my own personal additions to things that do exist when I run games to expand that and add a little more depth to the world of Creation and the savants that call it home. Or just to add some flavor to a local market, strange local hermit or a business deal with the Guild. Some of these are things to be incorporated in additional ways into artifacts and some are just interesting facets of things in Creation. I will start with a few and add more over time.

Black Jade Pearls: Found in the west some breeds of very long lived giant claims that are closer to an elemental than any more mundane clam will sometimes make these pearls. A beautiful and iridescent black pearl formed the tiniest start of black jade that will be carried only by a natural current until it is eventually captured by one of these clams. An immature black jade pearl extracted too early becomes ruined and decays and they are slow to grow. At full size enough material can be found in one be the major component in a daiklaive. Properly used the material can be coaxed to give artifacts powers that let them draw on the endless and bottomless strength of Creation's western ocean often appearing in artifacts with sorcerous or mystical applications.

Mela's Whispers: Forming thin white vines that produces several rather beautiful small blue flowers this plant grows only in places where the land is almost always or always snow covered. The snow and open air requirement to grow properly amongst other requirements makes this a hard plant for humanity to cultivate or farm. That said its use is well known amongst alchemists and doctors for medicines and drugs that help with clarity of thought or to enhance the strength and speed of ones intellect. The most potent of these are often acquired through trade with elementals or found growing in the wild where they can be left undisturbed until gathered.

River Dragon Blood: More noted for its inclusion in the 77 Medicines of Ragara Shin where it appears in one of his recipes. Using the blood of a mature river dragon amongst other more common plants to form a quite effective non-addictive pain killer. Though efficacious for that end the recipe is rather impractical and there are far easier ways to treat pain ultimately meaning that few make a point of trying to hunt down a river dragon to try to get enough blood to make the medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Haematine: Though another hard red material only the most unlearned would mistake mistake it in its worked form for red jade as the red of this material is that of freshly spilled blood rather than the red of a flame. This material can be found in places naturally forming as a clay like substance in places that saw great bloodshed in centuries past and the blood allowed to sink into the earth and is sometimes called Blood Clay though places where shadowlands form don't ever seem to see this material. A magically resonate material suitable for the use in artifact weapons and armors the evocations of such are excellent when purposed towards the spilling of blood, the supercharging of the physical form and the enhancing of passions. Those with weapons using this material have tended to develop a reputation for violence even if there is nothing nothing about the material that pushes one to such deeds it just happens that those who enjoy such acts like to use this material giving those who use it a reputation deserved or not.

Comment

Rainbow Orchards: A lingering blessing or whim of the Primordials, attributed by humanity to the kindness of Gaia, where overnight an orchard can sprout near anywhere though it never forms in cities. Sporting a few hundred trees of bushes these plants are heavy in fruits of many shapes, sizes and colours with all of them delicious and none like the kinds seen in Creation. The Plants grow more fruits overnight when harvested but all these fruit have no seeds and attempts to graft or move the plants have always failed. They last for a month then overnight they wither away like they were never there. Still a month of such things is a boon wherever it shows shows up. Days, months, seasons or years later somewhere else in Creation it will sprout again to once more provide Creation its blessing. The Guild is always on the lookout for these places when they sprout and will pay top coin for fruit from them when they can't take a more heavy handed way to control the resource.

Comment

I like where you're doing with these.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Thank you. I am glad that people seem to be enjoying this thread and my efforts.

Comment

I like these a lot! Esoteric magical materials and things are my jam, and these are very cool. Creation has so much room for weird and wonderful things!

The Truth Machine Chronicle - A first-time Exalted campaign.

Comment

I definitely agree on that. More interesting stuff. Adds depth to the setting through this sort of stuff.

Comment

This is some interesting stuff.
                Can I chip in one?

Blendstone: This strange material is adaptive in nature. It's origin is unknown thought there are two theories speculated to be made from the large nodules of gossamer collected by Raksha that were embedded into creation when it was made, as the Raksha themselves were bound in Jade, or as the bones of a dead species of chameleon like beasts. In it's default state it looks like clear glass but when exposed to essence flows it adopts the colour and texture of whatever solid material it is in contact with. This makes mining veins of it very tricky to do when near a leyline as it will look just like the surrounding material.

Can make a decent filler material for patching items up, often used in the armor of spies to help them blend in, and due to it's adaptive nature often ground up and blended into alloys, often easing the difficulty of combining materials.

I can get rid of it if you want.
                Last edited by GrayWalker; 03-12-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I don't mind at all if you want to chip in.

Comment

Golden Sun Cacti: Most commonly seen as a weed or pest of a plant that can be found growing in the south. Growing small short yellow spineless cacti they can, and do, spread quickly into farms or through an oasis. For this reason they are often removed and killed when found. This pest form of the plant is the immature state of the species however. An unknown trigger will cause them to 'walk' and gather in a central point though being plants it takes them a while to gather. If those plants are left alone for a few days the full grouping of them will be absorbed into single 5 armed golden hued cactus that stands more than a dozen feet in height and sports vibrant red flowers in the season of fire. In this form the plant is as hot as gold that has been left out in the southern sun. Known methods for using this form of the plant all require the use of gold alloyed knives and killing the plant. The juice gathered in this was as near countless medicinal uses and many commonly known alchemical recipes can make a potent panacea from them. The outer hide and the needles of the adult plant have no known uses other than to be treated and then burned down to create a charcoal like substance that is used to help fire forges and furnaces which makes it easier to temper and forge weapons and armor both magical and mundane. The mature plants can live a very very long time if left unharvested, having no natural predator and seeming to require nothing but sunlight to survive making the easiest way to find these plants to get lucky in the open deserts.

Comment

This is some cool stuff! While my contribution is not a naturally occurring thing like yours is, it is derivative of one. I got the idea while reading the Natural Magics section of Arms of the Chosen and wrote up this as a result

Exorcist's Paint (Resources ••••)
                      There are few people in Creation unaware of at least some basic measures against evil spirits. People residing near shadowlands carry pouches of salt, and superstitions teach uncountable little rites and warding signs against demons. One particularly potent means of repelling evil is the Exorcist's Paint.

Made through an alchemical process (a Major Project using the skill Craft: Alchemy) involving crushed petals of Dawnflower (Arms of the Chosen, p. 114) and mixing with salt, the resulting paint is as impassable as a wall of granite to creatures of darkness. When painted on an object or wall and dried in the light of the sun, no creature of darkness can pass through the painted object, even in an immaterial state. The creature of darkness can still attempt to batter through, but suffers a -2 success to the Feat of Strength roll. Chambers warded in such a way can be invincible shelters against minor threats or serve as a potent delaying tactic against truly puissant devils. The paint must be replenished once a season to maintain its effectiveness. This can be done either with a (Difficulty 3 Intelligence + Occult) ritual, or through reapplying a coat of fresh paint. However, given the expense of producing or procuring the stuff, most who utilize the paint prefer to hire a local priest to perform the rite.

Comment

A more general comment here about bone in Creation. Broadly speaking bones serve a multitude of uses in Creation for the wise. Beyond say making a fish hook or something else which is some other kind of reshaping of the material there are two other major ways to use bone. The first is with fire. Craftsmen have long known that to help fire a furnace with certain bones is a sure way to help drive the direction in the forging of an artifact. Obviously for such works simple deer bones would never suffice but if one can get their hands on the bones of a lesser elemental dragon for example such an addition is sure to find a use in the creation of a wonder. The other use is the powdering of bone for the use in medicine and alchemy. Doctors across Creation know hundreds of different ways to use powdered bone to make simple salves to help cure a rash to drugs that can let one see spirits.

Comment

Shadowstone: A dark crystal that can be found anywhere in Creation. So named because it throws shadows around itself regardless of light sources. When exposed to plenty of moisture and air the material invariably ends up forming a deadly poisonous and corrosive miasma that lingers around it killing any normal mortal creature or plant quickly. Thankfully you need a large amount of the stone in one place to cause this which has kept it from becoming a tool of poisoners. If one can get at the material underground of build a structure around it to let the miasma disappate away by keeping it protected for a few months the crystal is fairly easy to make into a powder. Adding this when making bronze enhances the product making it superior in strength to steel but much more prone to rusting. For this reason and the fact you don't need too much of the powder when mixing it in with the bronze it isn't an uncommon material to see used in dryer areas of Creation. Though such blades look like normal bronze weapons that they always seem to throw an extra shadow makes it not too hard to spot.

Comment

Spider-Iron: This silk-like substance is found only in a tributary of the Prasad Empire. This tributary is home to a unique breed of spider that spins webs of pure iron. After the monsoon season of Water Ascendant, workers will go out to collect the now easily visible webs dripping with water. The webs are spun into silk and can be woven into armor and weapons. Spider-Iron is particularly sought after by Realm craftsmen as an ingredient in light artifact armors or in masterwork mundane weapons and armor. Usually only enough Spider-Iron can be collected in one year for a handful of items, but the unique swirling patterns woven into each item made from Spider-Iron, not to mention the effectiveness of the material itself, makes it highly sought after. The Guild often hires pirates and bandits to raid convoys carrying the material to get their hands on it as well.

Comment

Thunderstone: A dark grey stone that is reminiscent of stormy clouds and always seems to have a static charge to it this material is well named and the process of how it forms well understood though by nature remaining quite rare. In Creation sometimes a bolt of lightning from a storm can be destructive enough but sometimes such things are the heralds to a destructive Storm Serpent. Expressing the power of the storm these short lived creatures generally pass when the storm ends. Sometimes however their destructive rampage will see them encounter an earth elemental. In a terrible collision between the two generally there are only three results. The Storm Serpent is destroyed. The Earth Elemental is destroyed or if they are balanced against one another right their energies are both dispersed back into Creation while the earth near them is transformed into this hard material. Useful in making artifacts that express the power of the storm, wind and lightning such artifacts and their evocations are rarely esoteric or subtle in nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X