Night-Caste Henshin Hero?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night-Caste Henshin Hero?

The concept occurred to me today of a Night Caste vigilante who, instead of focusing on muting anima, goes LOUD right from the start of the action in order to intentionally trigger the iconic anima effect that flawlessly disguises their identity. There'd be fun space for stunting that into a Super Sentai or even Magical Girl style transformation.

The only problem is, I'm having trouble coming up with a good way to burn 15m on initiating action without being intentionally inefficient with my build. Awakening Eye maxes out Join Battle for 5m (and 1wp), tacking on Swarm-Culling Instinct only spends another 2m... I could get the rest of the way on the attacks Swarm-Culling creates, but that would fail if I happened to not win JB.

I've also considered trying to reach Bonfire not on Join Battle, but on something that you could use before conflict in order to provoke confrontation, but that itself is trickier than you might think. Most expensive non-Excellency Charms don't become available until higher-Essence, and many aren't really a practical hello.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might be overlooking for how to get to a 15-mote initiating action without totally wasting essence in the process?

There was a martial art in second edition called Crystal Chameleon Style, which might fit your goal of being extreme LOUD with your anima, while being stealthy. The entire idea of the style is that people have issues tracking you, not because you are sneaky, but because you are so damn shiny that it's hard to pinpoint where you are.

Here's a pair of translations to 3e that some people made, though I don't know about the balance.
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...hameleon-style
    https://www.reddit.com/r/exalted/com...masters_of/​

I made some Martial Arts for 3e, look at them here and here.

Comment

You could Full Excellency your Join Battle roll. This would result in you going into the fight with enough Initiative to do something big from the getgo, or (with the bonus from a successful Crash) form a springboard for gaining unimpeachably high amounts of Initiative. I know that Awakening Eye gives you a full Excellency and therefore doesn't stack, but you could also pop a bunch of Reflexive scenelong charms to buff yourself up. I'll see if I can compile a list of buff charms that can be activated reflexively.

Flashing Draw Mastery is a supplemental Charm that can be used to enhance your Join Battle roll. It costs 3m.
      Racing Hare Method is a reflexive Charm with no trigger condition (so it can be used whenever). It costs 5m and 1wp.

By combining these two Charms with the two Charms you mentioned above a Henshin Night-Caste could spend all 15m they need right at the start of the battle, and enjoy an obscenely high Initiative as well as incredible mobility for the rest of the fight.
      Last edited by KymmetheSeventh; 03-05-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by While My Guitar View Post
        There was a martial art in second edition called Crystal Chameleon Style, which might fit your goal of being extreme LOUD with your anima, while being stealthy. The entire idea of the style is that people have issues tracking you, not because you are sneaky, but because you are so damn shiny that it's hard to pinpoint where you are.
        I'm aware of Crystal Chameleon, but I'm actually less concerned with literally being stealthy as I am just with giving the character a flashy magical means of identity protection.

Of course, just wearing a disguise would be more practical, and could itself be done instantaneously with Flashing Ruse Prana. I'm just having fun with the thought experiment here.

Originally posted by KymmetheSeventh View Post
        Flashing Draw Mastery is a supplemental Charm that can be used to enhance your Join Battle roll. It costs 3m.Racing Hare Method is a reflexive Charm with no trigger condition (so it can be used whenever). It costs 5m and 1wp.

By combining these two Charms with the two Charms you mentioned above a Henshin Night-Caste could spend all 15m they need right at the start of the battle, and enjoy an obscenely high Initiative as well as incredible mobility for the rest of the fight.
        Hmm... I'd dodged Flashing Draw because the auto-success isn't non-Charm, and thus reduces the number of dice rolled with Awakening Eye (or any full Excellency), but its additional effect would be a cushion on making 100% sure Swarm-Culling Instinct activates. Racing Hare is a good catch. There's also a few other Reflexive scenelongs that could be thrown in, like Harmonious Presence Meditation.

Comment

Maybe the character possesses a unique charm or evocation that kicks in the identity protection as soon as you start glowing?

Comment

Get a Lantern Soul Diamond. You can use it to bump your anima up at the start of a fight by one level, and then at the end charging it up by shedding your anima lets you shift back to "civilian" form quickly.

Comment

Perhaps this is a house rule or vestige of a previous edition but my GM has alluded to exalts (Solars only?) being able to burn motes just to burn notes. Usually, we as PCs are thinking of mote-efficiency or avoiding anima banner progression. However, there have been a couple of times the GM has essentially said if " you want to spend motes you can spend them on no effect".

Comment

Solars are able to spend 1m to cause their caste marks to appear for as long as they desire (Page 175), that's the first threshold reached for one fifth of the cost.

Comment

Brawl charms are super excellent at spending your motes and being obscenely flashy. But if you want to be real flashy, activate Sensory Acuity Prana, Awakening Eye, and Harmonious Presence Meditation. That’s full iconic, stupidly good initiative, and your super impressive. Pick up Vainglory, some thrown charms, and the voice of The Tick (from the cartoonnot live action) and you might reach the proper level of over the top!

Craft rewrite.
                  Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
                    Solars are able to spend 1m to cause their caste marks to appear for as long as they desire (Page 175), that's the first threshold reached for one fifth of the cost.
                    A glowing caste mark is not the same thing as the first anima level.

Comment

I'd just use an Excellency. I use Blinding Battle Feint (as my Dex+Stealth is better than my Wits+Awareness) for 3m, plus 10m for an excellency (well, it's 9 for me but if you start with Dex+Stealth 10 you could have 10). Plus some evocations sometimes if I'm in my warstrider, but that's not so relevant.

Awareness 5, a decent Wits, an Awareness excellency and some Awareness charms should be able to get you to 15 motes on your JB easily.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        Get a Lantern Soul Diamond. You can use it to bump your anima up at the start of a fight by one level, and then at the end charging it up by shedding your anima lets you shift back to "civilian" form quickly.
                        *whistles* That's a great catch. You can even use the Diamond in the transformation sequence! This is definitely looking doable now.

Comment

Well, after all that complaining about not wanting to boost Join Battle inefficiently, when I actually took a stab at writing the character, he ended up boosting Join Battle inefficiently. I just didn't have enough Charms to spare for Awareness.

That said, here's my first draft of Iljun Ket, a.k.a. The Burning Lion, vigilante hero of Greyfalls. He uses Spurious Presence and/or Preying On Uncertainty Approach to blend in as he approaches his target, then pops a 7m Awareness Excellency, commits 3m to Argent Handshake Mien, and unleashes one level of anima from his Lantern-Soul Diamond in order to become The Burning Lion with his Join Battle roll. When he needs to escape, he uses the superior mobility from his Athletics Charms to lose his pursuers, then channels his anima back into the Lantern-Soul Diamond to become inconspicuous again.

There are a ton of Charms I wanted that ended up on the cutting room floor, but that just gives room for growth.

Comment

What about a color-coded Artifact battlesuit?

The first Evocation upgrades Whirlwind Armor Donning Prana or Hauburk-Summoning Gesture to dull the memory of anyone who saw you in the several minutes before. Unless they know you personally, have evidence of your presence (Why are Bruce Wayne and Batman never in the same room?) or succeed at some Investigation, they'll only have a general idea of what the warrior inside the armor looks like.

The second Evocation lets you bank several motes of Peripheral Essence - flaring your anima in the process and at a surcharge - that you can spend on Athletics or Resistance Charms through the remainder of the Scene.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                            X