No announcement yet.

Alucard gets his grubby hands on AotC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alucard gets his grubby hands on AotC!

Any veterans of these forums might have noticed a sort-of hiatus on my part, at the end of last year. It was for a number of reasons; times were stressful, my Okeanos game was on break, I was depressed, my sister was wanting to start a Shadowrun game, and…

Truth be told, when Arms of the Chosen came out, I simply couldn't afford it. And I didn't want to spoil anything for myself, yet every day I was on these forums, my temptation to start reading the AotC thread was growing.

But thanks to a very generous friend of mine, I now have a copy, and, well…

Holy shit, you guys. I love this book. Thanks to everyone who took part in making it! The writing is evocative, the art is gorgeous, the Evocations are solid. There isn't a single Artifact in the book that I didn't like! Just reading it, I wanted to get into Exalted again, and in fact, I am getting into Exalted again.

The guy who bought the book for me has volunteered to run a game, so a couple of friends and I will be playing scavenger lords, and I fucking call dibs on Distaff.

Thanks again, Devs, writers, illustrators, editors. I can't thank you enough. Thanks, Stephen Lea Sheppard; thanks, Robert Vance; thanks, Eric Minton; thanks, everyone.

(And don't worry, my in-depth analysis will follow; I'll probably have to rest first though.)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM.

The title made me think of Attack of the Clones due to the overlap in the Acronym use.
    Good to see you're enjoying it so far. I like the versatility of the book myself.
    The question I guess is have you had any ideas from reading it that you want to share so far?

Hope you have fun with the game.

Comment

What parts of Distaff enthuse you the most?

Myself, I like the Evocations that enhance grapples, crafting actions, and medical treatments. I think those would be great for a pair of moonsilver weaver’s gloves, especially with other Evocations that produce silk rope and rope-weapons: bolas, flails, lassos, nets, trampolines, web-walls and sticky web-traps.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Courante and Galliard

Right away I was excited; paired artifacts, but used between two users? Very interesting concept. I like that they start out with different Evocations that blend together; I had considered that for a pair of twin blades for Misu in my Okeanos game, but hadn't quite gotten there yet. I might have to crib from this. I like the anima teleportation, and the fusion effect at the end is just as glorious as I'd expect.

The Distaff

Fun story to it, and a great reminder of how these storied weapons don't just unlock powers; they evolve with their user. I must admit that the Evocations weren't what made me jump at this quite so much as the imagery. This may be the one where I don't want to unlock its capstone, because it's perfect the way it is.

Fist of Titans

Right away I was intent on dissecting this one for bits to pilfer; it's a destructive bludgeoning weapon, and I know I've been lax in developing Evocations that grab the attention of my players for their artifacts. But even as I was trying to work my way between the fingers of this artifact to get at the core, I found I had to contend with the sheer unstoppable force of smashing that I would release on my game. I don't think I'm ready for this one.

Yet. But man is it awesome.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          What parts of Distaff enthuse you the most?
          The ability to extrude silk from it, of any color. The way the Distaff makes your existing Charms more effective. The fact that it's named "the Distaff," and it looks and functions as a distaff.

I think those would be great for a pair of moonsilver weaver’s gloves…
          I might sound stupid for asking, but do weavers wear gloves? I Googled the phrase "Weaver's gloves," and the first half-dozen or so results were all instances of the phrase being used in this RPG or that RPG, leaving me wondering if they're intended to be "Weaver's gloves" in the sense of being the gloves of someone who weaves, versus being the gloves of someone named Weaver.

Regardless, though, I don't find myself agreeing with your point, because the Distaff replicates the look and function of a distaff: it holds the material for your spinning. If a weaver wears gloves, it's presumably to protect their hands while they're working, right?

…especially with other Evocations that produce silk rope and rope-weapons: bolas, flails, lassos, nets, trampolines, web-walls and sticky web-traps.
          This comes off to me as something of an Air-Breathing Mermaid; you can make all sorts of things via Craftsman Needs No Tools, many in mere seconds due to the simplicity of the intended craft.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-19-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

They use thimbles, more often.

Comment

I meant that the gloves would let you make silk-ropes reflexively, like Spider-Man. Webshooters.

Also, my apologies, but I just threw the phrase “weavers gloves” out there from the idea of a weaver wearing gloves that simply produced silk from the gloves.

Comment

Bracers of silken tethering.

Comment

I meant that the gloves would let you make silk-ropes reflexively, like Spider-Man. Webshooters.
                  Just say so next time, lol.

Also, my apologies, but I just threw the phrase “weavers gloves” out there from the idea of a weaver wearing gloves that simply produced silk from the gloves.
                  No big. That said, I still think I prefer Distaff in its presented shape.

Comment

Remind me of this from Black Cat.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      Truth be told, when Arms of the Chosen came out, I simply couldn't afford it. And I didn't want to spoil anything for myself, yet every day I was on these forums, my temptation to start reading the AotC thread was growing.
                      ​Makes sense; I was the same with Masters of Jade.
                      ​Although that was a case in which the Liminal Exalted were first spoiled for me by somebody bringing them up on a thread in Off-Topic of all places.
                      Last edited by Isator Levi; 03-19-2018, 11:30 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayWalker View Post
                        The title made me think of Attack of the Clones due to the overlap in the Acronym use.
                        I wouldn't brag about getting my hands on Attack of the Clones. That film is a hot potato.

Good to see you're enjoying it so far. I like the versatility of the book myself.
                        Easily my favorite part.

The question I guess is have you had any ideas from reading it that you want to share so far?
                        One of my friends is going to run a game for us; I'm playing a sorcerous scavenger lord who Exalted as a Twilight when he discovered the true history of the silk-wrapped sword he found. He grew up in Great Forks, where he spent a year as a spider as punishment for breaking into a god's occult library.

Hope you have fun with the game.
                        I will.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        ​Makes sense; I was the same with Masters of Jade.
                        ​Although that was a case in which the Liminal Exalted were first spoiled for me by somebody bringing them up on a thread in Off-Topic of all places.
                        Yeah, same for me but Karvara.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The Distaff

Fun story to it, and a great reminder of how these storied weapons don't just unlock powers; they evolve with their user. I must admit that the Evocations weren't what made me jump at this quite so much as the imagery. This may be the one where I don't want to unlock its capstone, because it's perfect the way it is.
                          The ability to extrude silk from it, of any color. The way the Distaff makes your existing Charms more effective. The fact that it's named "the Distaff," and it looks and functions as a distaff.
                          The team certainly exercised their creativity and gave some great examples of thinking outside the box. What is the Distaff? It is a medium weapon with tags that, don't quite match up with anything presented in the core, but totally make sense for it. A nice example of using the tag toolkit.

Comment

What do you think about Frost-Thorn Knuckles?

Comment

What do you think about Frost-Thorn Knuckles?
                              Just hold on, I'm running some errands today.

Comment

Working...
                              X