No announcement yet.

Alucard gets his grubby hands on AotC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, considering that the most readily available artifact materials are the 5MM, which are all metals or rocks, it makes sense that the easiest way to make artifact clothing is for it to be armour. So if you just want a wearable effect, you stick it on a chain shirt or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Yeah, considering that the most readily available artifact materials are the 5MM, which are all metals or rocks, it makes sense that the easiest way to make artifact clothing is for it to be armour. So if you just want a wearable effect, you stick it on a chain shirt or something.
      "Cloth of jade" is a thing in Creation; if even jade-alloy is ductile enough to turn into wires that can be woven together with fibers or even without fibers to make cloth...

Well, a pure cloth-of-jade garment is likely protective enough to count as light armor. Fiber-and-alloy cloth might count as less than light armor, being merely magical clothing, but when the fibers are made some indestructible fire-rat fur or else enchanted to be properly indestructible for an artifact...
      Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I never said they couldn't make artifact clothing. I said artifact armour was easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          I never said they couldn't make artifact clothing. I said artifact armour was easier.
          Clothing is easier to make than armor, especially chain-mail or plate armor.

It would also require smaller (cheaper) amounts of magical metal.

I'm not sure how it should be more difficult for a craftsman, though I concede it's generally more difficult for the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            Clothing is easier to make than armor, especially chain-mail or plate armor.
            Unless Cloth of Jade is just insanely difficult and time consuming to make compared to hammering rings and metal sheets into forms.

Comment

There may also not be enough jade to channel the magic.

Frankly though, I don't see any inherent problem with magic clothes. Magic gloves, belts, cloaks, etc. And in fact, there is a magic cloak and magic shoes in Arms. There's just less of them.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
                Unless Cloth of Jade is just insanely difficult and time consuming to make compared to hammering rings and metal sheets into forms.
                If you get a spool of magical wire from someone else, that makes it a lot easier.

How difficult it is to stretch the alloys into wire is a mystery.

Comment

All I was saying was that there is a logical basis for artifact armour that has utility effects with nothing to do with protecting the wearer to be fairly common, not that alternatives were impossible.

Even in the first age the exalted were fairly military and ran around adventuring, so armour was useful to have.

Comment

Y'all remember that artifact armour includes things like buff jackets or leather jerkins with maybe a bit of metal in them, if that, right?

I mean, magical armour that is full plate is already generally going to be highly ornate, so I don't think that it's much of a stretch to assume that there are occasionally going to be Artifact buff jackets that would be hard to distinguish from something like court uniform.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Unity is actually a set of (stylish) black clothes, which the user can transform into, IIRC, mail, a tight-fitting complete set of mail, or an all-encompassing suit of heavy armour. In its base form (which still gives you the stats of medium artefact armour) it doesn't look like armour at all (though it does give -1 mobility...).

Comment

Sozen, the Cataphract of Keys

​This here is pretty damn cool. The writing is evocative, the visuals are cool, and its story is definitely one of those things that really belongs in the Exalted setting - I can easily imagine a Second or even Third Circle demon that just naturally appears in the shape of an apparently-empty suit of armor.

As I read its capstone, I can't help but imagine a hypothetical Solar who has wandered Creation learning the ways of heart-ripping. He's mastered Black Claw Style and learned the Brawl Charms, and then he comes across this armor...

Mela's Coil

​Lovely illustration, more fun incentives stuff, though I'll take its backstory with Devourer of Graves as a cautionary tale - sometimes, people don't give a shit about what you think.

When I first read this one's writeup, I genuinely said, "If this doesn't have letting you turn into a dragon as its capstone, I'm gonna write it in there." Glad to see we're on the same page!

Speaking of being on the same page...

Unity

​I'll admit, I'm less fond of Artifacts that no one has any business knowing about - this one was made by one person, by herself in an empty palace, who then killed thousands of Fair Folk by herself before dying. Don't get me wrong, this is a fun artifact, but it wasn't forgotten by time - it was never learned by time. But that's a relatively minor quibble, Unity is pretty badass.

Just being able to do the mien stuff without so much as learning a single Evocation is pretty potent; this suit's inclusion in the five-dot category seems pretty concrete.

Overview

​Armor's always been kind of important to survival in the Exalted setting; the Chosen, after all, are beings of flesh. They are not invulnerable, but putting a few bits of jadesteel between the assassin's knives and your internal organs goes a long way.

And as demonstrated here, the hauberks made by the Chosen have so much more potential than I might have initially thought; in fact, I feel bad for the player who buys artifact armor for the soak/hardness, and then never spends XP on Evocations for it. Though at least if they read through these, they'll have an idea of what they're missing.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-16-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          I can easily imagine a Second or even Third Circle demon that just naturally appears in the shape of an apparently-empty suit of armor.
                          That's true, but I feel as though the concept of the thing is more fun if the magic of it means that other demons don't recognise that Sozen is a suit of armour.

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard
                          ​I'll admit, I'm less fond of Artifacts that no one has any business knowing about - this one was made by one person, by herself in an empty palace, who then killed thousands of Fair Folk by herself before dying. Don't get me wrong, this is a fun artifact, but it wasn't forgotten by time - it was never learned by time.
                          If nothing else, Nara-O will know.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I consider the backstories more suggestions anyway. If a PC wants one you might need to tweak a few details to get it to them for chargen.

Comment

Yeah, I used the backstory of God-Speed Vanguard pretty straight, but I think if you want to alter them its fine. Or you could start with the same beginning (it's not really the same artefact otherwise) but add something about someone finding them.
                              I do see Alucard's point though.

Incidentally, Isator, you were right about Sozen's rating. For some reason, my pdf gives the ratings for every artefact on the bookmarks tab except Sozen, and since it was just before two level 5 artefacts, I assumed it was level 5 as well.

Comment

So, bad news. I'd written up some for the next chapter on my laptop, when the cat pushed it off onto the floor, damaging the charger. I won't be able to get a new charger just yet, either. I'm posting from my phone, but reading PDFs on it is a pain-and-a-half.

Comment

Working...
                                X