No announcement yet.

Alucard gets his grubby hands on AotC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, y'all, finally got my replacement charger.

Natural Magics

​I love the little stuff like this. Things that are too strange and mystical to sit on the shelf in a marketplace, but not quite potent or lasting enough to necessitate Artifact dots. We've got a lot of classics here, but I don't recognize Dawnflower; is it new? Either way, it's pretty neat. I've already pestered my ST to retroactively assume my Eclipse owns a dreamstone.

Audient Brush

​Another old classic, wasn't expecting my socks to be knocked off by it. To be fair, most of its thunder was probably stolen earlier by Sun's Brush.

Clockwork Bird/Bird of Vanileth

Thanks for the clarification on First Age artifice. I've never been too big on spending dots on Familiar or anything else that amounts to a small animal; daiklaves and the like might be able to be stolen, but at least they're relatively hard to destroy. But I realize this is just my stupid, scarred-by-2e brain getting in the way of a pretty neat artifact. Plus, this one's at least hardier than your standard small bird.

Lorestone

​Fairly basic, but not in a bad way. I love the inclusion of First Age cuisine in the list of subjects.

Lotus-Blossom Cup

​Another classic. Its interaction with the disease and poison rules are a reminder of how pleasantly simple the rules for those are now, and thus I love it.

Solar Seal/Auspicious Secret Seal

​I rather enjoy the elemental variations that occur by making these out of blue, black, or red jade, and brings to mind the thought of what might happen with other materials. Perhaps a green jade one would cause the missive to blossom into a flower? I wonder what a starmetal one might do, for that matter...

Stoneheart Coffer

​I actually like that it protects against jostling and the elements, but not against time itself.

Ultimately Useful Tube

​Again, fairly basic, but not bad. I'm curious as to what's so special about the Liar's Tree; is this a reference to something I've missed?

Winterbreath Jar

​I'm enjoying the added clause about plugging in an Air-aspected hearthstone.

Arete

​The first new artifact of the chapter, I gotta say, the inclusion of a backstory makes this artifact so much more vivid. Its Evocations really resonate with the story, too.

Carnelian Phoenix

​Once again, y'all have an artifact that's cool before we even get to the Evocations. I'll have to look at the Ride rules again, but this seems pretty neat for such a character.

Comment

Starmetal Seal - ...note? What note? The envelope was empty.

Comment

Dragon Tear Tiara

​An old classic, this seems handy for an Occult character; I might end up having to dig one up for Spider. I'll have to keep an eye on future publications to see how it interacts with Sidereal, Lunar, et cetera., spirit detection.

The Golden Hounds

​I like the story of this one. Is the Sand mentioned the same one from Caste Book: Eclipse? The Celerity mechanic looks like fun, too. I especially enjoy that the ecstatic speed granted by the Golden Hounds is limited in its capacity to be used for offense; sure, you can use it to evade attacks as you Rush an enemy, but the second you actually hit him, your bonus resets to 0 as if you'd stopped moving altogether. It reinforces their nature as a runner's boots, not a fighter's.

​(I also enjoy the shout-out to Ruvia.)

Illusion-Shattering Mirror

​The power of coincidence is strong; I happened to also be hearing the introduction for the audiobook of Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors at the same time as I was reading this one. I rather enjoy how one can use this mirror to not only break an enemy's disguise - you can use it to help a someone destroy a false belief they hold. This might be really handy to have for when a Solar goes too far with Memory-Reweaving Discipline. Still, they have to be the one to discard it; the lie might be too comfortable for them to cease hiding behind it.

Jade Steed

(double-checks horse stats)

​Okay, yeah, this is cool.

Resplendent Satchel of Healing

​I didn't like the old version of the Satchel; Seamstress of Dissolution's player wanted one in my Okeanos game, and so I went combing through the Second Edition books to uncover it. When I finally found it, I asked her, "Why? All it does is render the Medicine Charms on your sheet obsolete!"

​This one feels more like it complements a healer character, rather than replacing her.

Second-Shadow Drum

​Ahh, a human-skin drum; this feels pretty damn pulpy. It also seems like the guy who has this also has the envy of every necromancer on the block.

Brass Legionnaire

​These guys seem like top-notch combatants, pulling slightly ahead of even a Dawn's Tiger-Warriors. I also appreciate the sidebar about making batches of these guys; even a dedicated Twilight isn't going to be able to just litter the setting with these things.

Collar of Dutiful Submission

​For all your Monkey King-restraining needs. It wouldn't have occurred to me to make the Stamina + Resistance roll require a flurry to do anything else, but that seems like a pretty solid way to represent struggling against its tightening without making the character completely helpless. I like it!

Shadow-Casting Jewel

​This one's pretty niche, given its short-range limitation and once-per-month usability, but still makes for a very nasty surprise. I recently reread Niven's "Not Long Before the End," and this feels like one of the kinds of things the Warlock would squirrel away for a confrontation.

Comment

Sorcery-Capturing Cord

​Another old classic. This one is a tad dangerous, as it requires you to stand in the path of a sorcerer while he's shaping a spell, and hope that your fingers are quicker with knots than his mind is with channeling mystic energies. On the upside, if you pull it off, you can save that Death Ray for a rainy day. The idea that you might come across one with a spell already tied up in it is pretty intriguing, especially paired with the chance of knot knowing what it is.

​Robin: "There's a spell already trapped in this cord."
          Knight Raiton: "What is it?"
          ​Robin: "I don't know, but it's Solar circle."

Wings of the Raptor

​I like the mythic origin of these wings, and that you've actually gotta have room to fly around with the 20-foot wingspan that'd be required to give a human enough lift to fly. The old wings of the raptor from previous editions felt rather easy to pass up, and wasn't helped by how interchangeable even wings of different materials were.

​I think it's a good move, giving the first Evocation a discount for having the right Charms. Its capstone is super good; I hope folks aren't discouraged by the "keep it attuned for a full story" requirement of its prerequisite.

The Golden Viper

A talking venomous snake that offers knowledge that leaves you no longer innocent, seemingly working toward its own mysterious agenda. Plus he turns his victims into solid gold. This is definitely a five-dot artifact, all right. I also like the way in which it demonstrates the difference between its ilk, and automatons that aren't works of First Age Artifice.

The Veil That Holds Back Time

​Kickass name, vivid description. I'm not a huge fan of easily-destroyed artifacts (as stated above and elsewhere), but considering that this one wasn't made with any of the magical materials, I can dig it. I'm not entirely convinced that its utility necessitates five dots, but it's definitely cool.

Siege Weapons

​One game session from my Okeanos game had some of the PCs fighting on another ship while Seamstress stayed behind with the mortal crew; unbeknownst to them, a shark-god child of Siakal had come aboard the circle's ship intent on slaughtering the crew in their absence. Seamstress surprised it by tackling the thing and locking her arms around its throat. The rest of the crew, heartened by her brave antics, beset the thing with knives and belaying pins, and one of them unloaded a couple of ballista bolts into it.

​The shark-god very wisely decided to dematerialize after that, but Seamstress maintained her death-grip even across the chasm of the material, and strangled it to death.

​At the time, these rules hadn't been published, so I just kinda winged it. But I'm glad to see that my ST instincts weren't too far from the mark.

Lightning Ballista

​I'm a little surprised that you can throw an unblockable lightning bolt and have it not be a decisive attack. This bad boy's definitely something to tread lightly with, both because of its capacity for friendly fire, and because deciding to deploy a Stormblast Barrage means it'll require maintenance after.*

Implosion Bow

​It feels a bit redundant to say that it's unblockable and automatically hits battle groups, but then again, maybe I just don't pay enough attention to Evasion. Combining the withering effect on top of the decisive implosion, plus destroying structures and objects, plus devastating battle groups, plus leaving behind difficult terrain, definitely says Artifact 5 to me.

Horizon Endeavor

*jaw drops*

​I was unprepared for how badass an artifact warship would be. Beware the Sail Supernal Solar who gets Blood and Salt Bondage and sets his sights on Horizon Endeavor.

Chariot of Aerial Conquest

​I'm glad this thing doesn't have any integrated weapons - I don't know if I would've been able to handle it.

I like this one, as I'm not particularly fond of airships that look exactly like sailing ships. Having it be a giant five-sided howdah (sans elephant) made of gold makes for a pretty unique airship.

​*At first I misread these bits, thinking it would require maintenance after every shot, limiting it to a once-per-combat affair, but a subsequent rereading showed me that it doesn't actually require the maintenance until after the scene is over. That's much better.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-14-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

The Veil makes a good combo with the Stoneheart Coffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              The Veil makes a good combo with the Stoneheart Coffer.
              Had a First Age Dragonblooded planned who had survived by being mummfied in the Veil and stored in a Stoneheart Coffin

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Working...
              X