Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the fluff has been very informative, and interesting to read, I'm really looking forward to Character Creation next Tuesday. I'm wondering what Merits will be introduced, or changed, and just what does Breeding do (Mechanics wise) in 3e.

Comment

• Wait, wait, wait. A dragonblooded husband taking a male lover is considered scandalous now? It's an embarassment to his wife that he's a disobedient philanderer?

​Oh, so, it is out with the old line that exalted were so lusty that taking lovers was expected and accepted as long as they were same sex to avoid pregnancies.

​Nope, despite the implication of the fiction, that line is still there. Page 24.
      Last edited by Greyman; 04-03-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DraMaFlo View Post
        You're free to have your take on the setting but Creation was never supposed to be some perfect utopia.
        It has widespread slavery and colonial empires. It has super-powered beings that rule over the masses.
        It has never ending wars.
        I'd much rather live in our world than creation.
        Exalted is escapist only because you get to play someone that is so above ordinary people and you have someone that makes sure you're always the hero of the story
        It's not a matter of presenting a setting devoid of cruelty. I just want to avoid the specific themes that reverbeate the current political climate. But I think I can do that by simply deciding how I want to shift my focus and how I want to portray my NPCs when I storytell.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: April 14, 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
          It's not a matter of presenting a setting devoid of cruelty. I just want to avoid the specific themes that reverbeate the current political climate. But I think I can do that by simply deciding how I want to shift my focus and how I want to portray my NPCs when I storytell.
          Certainly, I'd say that the setting is big enough that one can plausibly have scenarios in which those things aren't really at the foreground, at the very least.

​I think there are merits to presenting the world with some more unpalatable aspects present in principle, whether it be presenting it in a context of players engaging with sufficient power to do something about it, or even just a sense of how the absence of those things would do a disservice to people that have to face their real life counterparts; I've known people who dislike the idea of settings in which things resonant with their struggles aren't present, if it makes the world feel less real to them or less able to immerse in it.

​That's not to say that such an approach is superior to one based on the sense of wanting to escape from the reality of them, just that it's a benefit that it can have to some people, that there's an unfortunate opportunity cost to.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
            Wait, wait, wait. A dragonblooded husband taking a male lover is considered scandalous now? It's an embarassment to his wife that he's a disobedient philanderer?

​Oh, so, it is out with the old line that exalted were so lusty that taking lovers was expected and accepted as long as they were same sex to avoid pregnancies.

​Nope, despite the implication of the fiction, that line is still there. Page 24.
            "same-sex activity only earns remark in exceptional indiscretion"

The fiction made a point that he was indeed being exceptionally indiscreet about it.

Comment

• The Heptogram admits un-exalted. That's going to make a change in my model of the setting.

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game
              http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtop...7a1c&start=272

Comment

• I think all the main 4 admit mortal students because there's always dynast parents going "she's definitely gonna exalt soon! Just give her a year or two!"

A lot of late bloomers probably wind up in less prestigious schools because their parents couldn't swing it.
                Last edited by Elfive; 04-03-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  I think all the main 4 admit mortal students because there's always dynast parents going "she'd definitely gonna exalt soon! Just give her a year or two!"

A lot of late bloomers probably wind up in less prestigious schools because their parents couldn't swing it.
                  Or, for the Heptagram: "Fuck all man, I'm already a sorcerer. Are you gonna help me not blow up the continent because you're too busy whining that I doing is sans anima?"

Comment

Simply reversing the traditional patriarchal society to a matriarchal one is in no way progressive.
                    Out of all the problems I see in the quoted wall of text (seriously, line breaks!), I call most issue with this.

It is really progressive, and extremely in-line with modern feminist thought, as it acknowledges the female gender as no more or less capable of bad behavior as the male. It doesn't put women on a pedestal, it just states that people given unearned social privileges tend to abuse them because they think that's the natural order. And to be frank, the Realm has more enlightened social policies than the real world simply by embracing the LGBT part of LGBTQ: You are assumed to be who you say you are, and that cultural openness allows more flexibility than real-world gender roles by default.

As for the misandrist undercurrents? The Realm is, in-setting, a lurching dinosaur of a country in desperate need of reform. Nothing stops you from starting the Gender Revolution now that Her Redness is vanished; a king who isn't a walking stereotype of male buckling under pressure like Fokuf is more than a good start.

EDIT: Also, if you don't want to deal with sexism-the game allows for that too, because it seems to me Realm sexism is low-key unexamined stuff. It's hardly something that comes up all the time, even with men; if you're Exalted, you're a badass by default and they will judge you on that instead.
                    Last edited by Leliel; 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

It is really progressive, and extremely in-line with modern feminist thought, as it acknowledges the female gender as no more or less capable of bad behavior as the male. It doesn't put women on a pedestal, it just states that people given unearned social privileges tend to abuse them because they think that's the natural order. And to be frank, the Realm has more enlightened social policies than the real world simply by embracing the LGBT part of LGBTQ: You are assumed to be who you say you are, and that cultural openness allows more flexibility than real-world gender roles by default.
                      I don't want you to misrepresent my intentions. "Role reversal" (or reversing gender norms) is a standard exercise in gender- and intersectional studies, and it's especially important in my field of social work because it teaches us to evaluate our preconceptions so that we can be more objective towards our clients. It's a healthy exercise, and the purpose of the exercise is to learn how to see beyond social norms in your interaction with other individuals. But role reversal as an exercise and role reversal as a systematic reality are different things; one teaches you to evaluate destructive social norms and work to overcome them. The other encourages destructive social norms where the culprit-victim relationship has been swapped.

That's my two cents, and it's the last I'll speak of it in this thread.

Edit: I do agree with you about your individual points, though, but I wanted to clarify my line of thinking. I don't think we inherently disagree with each other about intersectionalism or feminism itself.
                      Last edited by Ekorren; 04-03-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

So the new chapters are out. I guess my only criticism so far is with regards to the line "He hadn't asked the Dragons to be born a man and his mother's only son!" I've always tried to stay away from topics such as sexism, homophobia, and racism in my Exalted games, because those things exist in abundance in real life and I want my Exalted games to be an escape from the depressive reality. Simply reversing the traditional patriarchal society to a matriarchal one is in no way progressive. It's still a gender-based structural hierarchy but with the pronouns reversed, and it doesn't make the Realm a very attractive society for me to immerse myself in. I don't mind the details of marrying into the female's family because she's basically carrying the bloodline, or that it reflects in the matriarchs. I do want to stay away from topics that actively suppresses a gender before the other, though, or that involves characters cursing their own gender (which they have no control over) because of their societal norms. I'm studying to become a social worker in real life to be able to fully explore and deal with such issues. But when I play Exalted, I just want to be a mythic hero in a fantastic world.
                        Well to be clear, no one suggested it was progressive in-universe. The Realm is not progressive place. They’re slaver imperialists. The goal with representing matriarchy well in fiction like this is to comment on patriarchy via its mirror, not present a better alternative.

For example, the fact that 8 of the heads of houses are women, and two are men, is pretty consistent with the balance most fantasy settings would give in favor of men without even intentionally making it patriarchal.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I don't want you to misrepresent my intentions. "Role reversal" (or reversing gender norms) is a standard exercise in gender- and intersectional studies, and it's especially important in my field of social work because it teaches us to evaluate our preconceptions so that we can be more objective towards our clients. It's a healthy exercise, and the purpose of the exercise is to learn how to see beyond social norms in your interaction with other individuals. But role reversal as an exercise and role reversal as a systematic reality are different things; one teaches you to evaluate destructive social norms and work to overcome them. The other encourages destructive social norms where the culprit-victim relationship has been swapped.

That's my two cents, and it's the last I'll speak of it in this thread.

I don't think that's what's happening at all (it's not presented as a good thing in-universe, and not universal), but I get it. I'll drop it too.

Comment

• I've got my fingers crossed that The Realm will have more information on third-tier secondary schools in the Threshold. A schooling system that creates a privileged (collaborator) class in the satrapies while also enforcing an imbalance of education between Cadet Houses and the Great Houses sounds absolutely fascinating.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                            [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                            [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

• Having read the description of Pasiap's Stair: The final exam where the students are pitted against each other, is that meant to have a deadly outcome? What I mean is, is the battle actually real or is it a glorified exercise? I think a real, violent battle would be more in line with common manga troupes, or Harry Potter's goblet game thingy. But wouldn't that put DBs at risk? Or maybe it doesn't matter if most of them are Outcastes?

Comment

• It's a real battle, in the sense that people actually get stabbed, but they're expected to refrain from delivering killing blows. The Exalted resistance to dying of bleeding or sepsis comes in handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X