Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mizu View Post
    New stretch goal

At $231,000 in funding - HEIRS TO THE SHOGUNATE – LOOKSHY EXPANSION #3: A section on the gentes and individual Lookshyans of note will be added to the Dragon-Blooded Companion PDF.
    I think out of everything listed thus far, it's what I want to see most. I want to see Gentes be given the same attention that Dynastic houses have been.

Comment

• Ok, I'm done with my first read of Charms and first impression is positive. A couple things I did note is how freaking complex the entire thing can be. While Solars were hard to digest due to the breadth of Charms available (and the meandering text), DBs have left me dazed by its depth. I mean, you got the Excellency Charms (okay, nothing too rough), then comes in talk about Cascades (par for the course), then Elemental Aspect (so far so good) that bleed into the concept of Aura.

And that's when things get really complex to parse - It's clear there's a desire to create a flow to Charm use, with Aura Charms being big follow-ups to an "upkeep phase" to set yourself up. So you can split your charms by Ability, by Essence, but also importantly by Elemental Aspect and by Aura (At least to have a plan on how you intend to activate Arrow Raid Tempest). Add to THAT the Balanced keyword that allows a Charm to a) not disturb Aura, but b)still allows to build its specific Aura, and considering how making Charms we're likely to get, and it feels really necessary to have a long, deep thought before commiting to Charms, especially Aura Charms.

To draw a parallel, it feels like DBs are going to be "expert Exalts", not adviced for newer players without supervision. Or like noted above, they'll have to go for the more simple options of Martial Arts or Sorcery to avoid the whole Aura shting until they're ready to handle it. It leaves me wondering whether that's a design intent, and gets me thinking that maybe splitting Charms by Ability was not the best solution. Then again, splitting by Element isn't a great idea either, nor by Aura. Maybe a fully filterable database would help. Going back to Archery Water:

"Oooh so I got an archer, what's the cool Archery Charms? Oh, Arrow Rain Tempest looks cool! Wait, how am I supposed to have Water Aura? Oh I could use Death From Nowhere or Fang-of-the-Dephts. Oh, but I can use Unobtruscted Hunter's Aim too. Or Arrow Thorn. Wait, couldn't I use Water Brawl Charms one turn and start aiming for Arrow Rain the next? What is there in Brawl to use that's Water-compatible?"

I'm going to start something up focused purely on Attribute, Essence and Element, probably Excel to keep the technical low for now.

Comment

• It is an extra layer of complexity to the db charmset, I agree. I have to see it in play to see how it flows.
        One thing I am sure: Colored border charm cards. Border indicates element (gray for neutral, wizards be damned). Balanced charms are half-element, half-gray. Aura charms have a badge to indicate that.

Comment

• Given that they have actual schools for learning and using charms strategically, I can easily see them being the splat for having a low floor and a relatively high skill cap in potential when using coordinated attack/problem solving strategies.

Comment

• You know, I've never been very fond of pyromancy as a power. It's incredibly common in fiction (whether used by protagonists, antagonists, or monsters), involves little more than slinging flames, is strong against a huge variety of beings (undead, plants, ice creatures, and also scary, in a very rational way, to animals and humans), and always conjures the same traits - red and orange colors, hot-blooded personalities, flames, fights, passion, etc. I'm much more drawn to air and earth as elements, being interpreted with more creativity, and maybe even more open to metaphorical or physical expressions rather than the very materialist and immediate nature of shit's burning yo.
            Now that's out of the way...
            ... having just backed the Kickstarter to see the previews, I love a bunch of things about Fire Aspects, from the aesthetics (fire is also smoke and ashes and... incense, now that's new and very welcome) to the aspected Charms (dodge explosions and violence-backed investigation and risky rewarding crafting and integrity-powered berserk and and) to a bunch of stuff and now I'm envisioning making a Fire-Aspected characters and what have you folks done to me.
            WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME.

Part-time table flipper.

Comment

• You can track aura pretty easily using a D6. One side for each element, one for "none".

I mocked one up using bits of post-it notes but you can also paint one or just assign each value an element.

Comment

• It wasn't until I read the Brawl charm Crushing Avalanche Grasp that I realized I've been playing Grappling wrong this whole time. We've not been removing rounds of control from incoming attacks. Grappling feels slightly less godly powerful now.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                  I'm finding myself underwhelmed by these Charms. Very little has jumped out at me as particularly impressive so far.

The Shells-for-Silver/Blazing Hoard of Hesiesh combo is nice, though.
                  The issue of having the lower-power Exalts is that, compared to Solars, their charms are likely to feel underwhelming.

I found it a little like that myself... except that I've found the signature charms very interesting. They seem, generally, the most interesting (and wackiest) parts of a lot of the trees.

My characters:
                  Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I'm finding myself underwhelmed by these Charms. Very little has jumped out at me as particularly impressive so far.

The issue of having the lower-power Exalts is that, compared to Solars, their charms are likely to feel underwhelming.

I found it a little like that myself... except that I've found the signature charms very interesting. They seem, generally, the most interesting (and wackiest) parts of a lot of the trees.

My characters:
                    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Well we knew that the gap between DBs and Solars will still be significant, although smaller in this edition. Its exactly there I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        You can track aura pretty easily using a D6. One side for each element, one for "none".

I mocked one up using bits of post-it notes but you can also paint one or just assign each value an element.
                        Supposing that was mostly aimed at my last comment (if not, well, apologies), I meant complex in the character creation phase. Now that I'm done with my Excell for Auras, I've come to realize that it might become a slight issue to activate the Air and Fire Brawl Signatures (as they require their Aura, something that no Brawl Charm can provide).

So you could technically have Charms you're completely unable to activate. To as lesser extreme, you could have Charms that are hella hard to activate, requiring cross-ability planning (Setting up Air or Fire Aura via Dodge/Athletics/Archery). I would be *very* worried at leaving the DB book in a novice's hands, even more so than the Core book, and have him shoot himself in the foot.

Now, once THAT hurdle is cleared, yeah, it's not *overly* complex to track and plan for during a fight. Which IS nice.

Comment

• Definitely leaning toward letting PCs, and significant NPCs matched against the PCs in progression, have access to 1 signature Charm while still at Essence 2, to reflect being prodigies.

I don’t want to hate off the coolest toys, but I also don’t want to start at Essence 3, so unless there’s some trap here i’m missing, that seems like the best compromise.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by blackheartz View Post
                            Well we knew that the gap between DBs and Solars will still be significant, although smaller in this edition. Its exactly there I think.
                            I think that this will be the dominant (ubiquitous) take on the forums, but that's not what I'm seeing in the text.

Comment

• Sorry about the near double-post, but I'm done with the worksheet. It's very bare-bones in a "Jim, I'm a database manager, not a graphic designer" way, and I still need a few answers to confirm some of my interpretation (of the texts), but it should give a rough idea as to what is what.

Here's the thing. PEACH and all that!

Couple of things I noticed is that Aura is really only present in combat skills (which makes sense) and combat-applicable skills. Most of the Charms requiring Aura are actually fairly easy to set up inside their own skills, with a few outliers (looking at you, Air and Fire Brawl). One thing that's also going to be interesting is how Dodge being Fire-heavy will influence combat choices, since once you're commited to a specific Aura (say, Wood for an archer), you can't afford to activate Fire Dodge Charms without effing up your Aura. Thank the Dragons the Excellencies are all Balanced...

Comment

• Originally posted by Equitable Remedy View Post
                                I think that this will be the dominant (ubiquitous) take on the forums, but that's not what I'm seeing in the text.
                                Their key defenses don’t stop working against opponents strong enough for said defenses to be needed against - that objectively makes Dragon-Blooded more powerful than they used to be.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X