Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The cooler we made the house-specific magic shticks, the more it felt like we were funneling people toward having to use them, thereby enforcing stereotypical house characters, and the more it felt like we were at risk of accidentally giving one or two houses shticks the Internet at large would fixated on as substandard, thereby condemning them to being seen by the fanbase as “the suck house” for the remainder of the edition.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
      The cooler we made the house-specific magic shticks, the more it felt like we were funneling people toward having to use them, thereby enforcing stereotypical house characters, and the more it felt like we were at risk of accidentally giving one or two houses shticks the Internet at large would fixated on as substandard, thereby condemning them to being seen by the fanbase as “the suck house” for the remainder of the edition.
      Fair enough. As long as I can say that the heirloom bonus of artifacts I create is more substantial, I'll get over my disappointment, because the artifacts in the book are still very cool. Calumny was someone answering my desire for an Ultimately Useful Tube with evocations, Perdurant Vault is several kinds of cool, I love the backstories on Daring Venture and Sea's Verdict (and the way it crumbles and everything), and everything else was pretty awesome.


      ....

      Comment


      • Yeah, but look at the scale she does it on. That seems like a tremendous amount of effort on her part given all the other balls she has to juggle just to hand out some carrots instead of letting others ingratiate them to the house. She also did things like try to save her siblings and give monuments to the ones that weren't saved. That is a lot of acting to do (especially since she is envious of V'neef for nailing mother's charisma when she can't do that) as opposed to just ever so slightly letting her guard down around some family. I mean it is still plausible I guess, maybe family is just easier to fool because they let their guard down for their sister/whatever generation removed ancestor she is and buy her terrible acting. One big act she is doing in the 'enlightened self-interest' genre and she is also a massive control freak that can't stand to let someone else handle all the carrot waving because they might get it wrong.


        Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

        Senator of the Greater Chamber

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

          I honestly wish she'd had someone loving she could trust to help her avoid becoming paranoid all those years ago. Granted, her older brother WAS trying to kill her and I'm not sure she'd have made it to where she is now WITHOUT becoming paranoid, but..... It just kind of hurts to know that she always has this wall up and there's a part of her that's always searching the area for danger, because she won't ever let herself get hurt or be helpless ever again.

          I kinda wish she and V'Neef could reconcile, because I could imagine that V'Neef might be able to be that person.

          Honestly, I'd kind of wondered about that exact point given my first introduction was.... 2E Mnemon, but more and more of the 3E presentation was intriguing me. This writeup's kind of cemented the image of Mnemon as damaged in an incredibly functional way, and the image of my Earth Aspect just kind of making helping the grandmother that helped her through her early life so much a big social goal is just kind of great. Given V'neef's only a "minor" level of resentment, it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out in game. Does "help Mnemon reconnect with her family that aren't assholes like Ragara" count as a legendary social goal? :lol:

          Comment


          • While I understand the desire for the heirloom bennies to be bit more pronounced, I personnaly didn't find the absence thereof so disappointing because what we got was so evocative, pardon the pun.

            The idea of a family artifact really doesn't work too well outside of longstanding DB families, given the small pool of people that can use artifacts. And I have to say I really loved some of the artifacts. The stories attached to them really felt like family histories, that I then could be a part of and carry on. These house artifacts almost work so well to define the houses that I wish they were in Chapter 2 instead of their own chapter.

            I particularly found the Ledaal artifact played off the house beautifully, not to mention the clever twist about the lightning bolt looking like dragon's teeth, so Immaculates wouldn't even bat an eye at it.

            It's like getting your grandfathers car that he drove when he asked your grandmother to go steady, but then also used to run over the unholy killer attacking kids at Lovers lane, so the car is now imbued with sacred power to destroy demons, and it is your sixteenth birthday don't scratch it.


            Raksha are my fae-vorite.

            Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

            Comment


            • disregard, sleeping pills made me loopy quicker then I thought
              Last edited by Mizu; 04-25-2018, 01:16 AM.


              Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

              Senator of the Greater Chamber

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Yes, and the printed pinnacle Charms aren't necessarily the end of those trees; just the official ones.



                I definitely want Terrestrial Brawl to include sand-bending, since it's so similar to Currents Sweep to Sea and Smashing Tidal Wave.

                Unfortunately, I don't think Earth Dragon Style will let you kick up a stone wall to block ranged attacks, so we need to find a place for that in the Charmset, too.
                A couple of the artifacts have upgrade charms that basically reskin existing DB charms with a new Element. Maybe a set of White Jade Smashfists that do sand-bending are in order?


                ....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  Sea's Verdict's first evocation, From the Depths, interacts with the Aura mechanic. I didn't think artifacts were allowed to do that, so is that a typo, or did I misunderstand things?
                  I think it is an acceptable exception.
                  That evocation is gated behind a Dragonblooded charm prerequisite. Playing nicely with the Dragonblooded' toys should be encouraged for those.
                  Also, Sea's Verdict has its own anima banner. This is ice coolness.
                  Last edited by Greyman; 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM.

                  Comment


                  • We've hit 305k!

                    There's quite a few Custom Charm and NPC tiers left in there. If those sold out we'd almost certainly hit the next few stretch goals!

                    Comment


                    • Yeah, I want the warstrider one. Wish that one was sooner

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by OpMegs View Post
                        Does "help Mnemon reconnect with her family that aren't assholes like Ragara" count as a legendary social goal? :lol:
                        I would be VERY hesitant of romanticizing Mnemon. You don't become the head of a Great House and cultivate the sort of powerbase it has for centuries without being something of an asshole yourself; even Cathak Cainan, who presents as a morally upright Realm patriot, wasn't above shanking dramatically weakening the Realm in order to shank House Tepet when the chance arose.

                        (Sidebar: this super frustrated me about Cathak's writeup. Those are supposed to be neutral and present true information, not an idealized self-image, and Cainan's went on and on and on about what a big patriot he was and how into duty and honor he was and I just kept thinking "am I supposed to fucking buy this six chapters after I read about how they tripped House Tepet and then starting kicking them in the ribs when they were down, jeopardizing the Realm's interests in the face of the greatest Solar empire-builder since the First Age?")

                        Anyway. Mnemon hasn't held onto her position by having a secret soft center. Mnemon is hard as nails and she is absolutely as likely to try murdering her way to the Throne as Ragara is.

                        I do wonder how genuine and flexible her faith was. In prior editions she was absolutely willing to, say, invite Abyssals into the Realm to treat with her.



                        "SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                          am I supposed to fucking buy this six chapters after I read about how they tripped House Tepet and then starting kicking them in the ribs when they were down, jeopardizing the Realm's interests in the face of the greatest Solar empire-builder since the First Age?
                          Yes.

                          When you ask a Dragon-Blooded, "What's best for the Realm?", the answer is not likely to be one that seems consistent with the priorities of an unbiased omniscient robot.

                          After all, House Tepet was something he could see, feel, and plan for; the same is not true of the Solar Exalted returning en masse from their moldering graves. It's entirely reasonable for a Dragon-Blooded at the time to answer that the greatest threat facing the Realm in the immediate future is House Tepet trying to step in and take over.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Murcushio View Post

                            I would be VERY hesitant of romanticizing Mnemon. You don't become the head of a Great House and cultivate the sort of powerbase it has for centuries without being something of an asshole yourself; even Cathak Cainan, who presents as a morally upright Realm patriot, wasn't above shanking dramatically weakening the Realm in order to shank House Tepet when the chance arose.

                            (Sidebar: this super frustrated me about Cathak's writeup. Those are supposed to be neutral and present true information, not an idealized self-image, and Cainan's went on and on and on about what a big patriot he was and how into duty and honor he was and I just kept thinking "am I supposed to fucking buy this six chapters after I read about how they tripped House Tepet and then starting kicking them in the ribs when they were down, jeopardizing the Realm's interests in the face of the greatest Solar empire-builder since the First Age?")

                            Anyway. Mnemon hasn't held onto her position by having a secret soft center. Mnemon is hard as nails and she is absolutely as likely to try murdering her way to the Throne as Ragara is.

                            I do wonder how genuine and flexible her faith was. In prior editions she was absolutely willing to, say, invite Abyssals into the Realm to treat with her.
                            I honestly can't chuck so many stones at the Realm for being myopic given I know full well my own lifestyle is only possible because people are getting screwed over in some other country and haven't really done anything at all about it. I guess at least I can claim 'out of sight out of mind' while a lot of them are directly involved into grinding foreigners under their boot to get resources for house and country.


                            On more awesome notes, at 335K we get two warstrider write ups (one belonging to the Realm the other belonging to Lookshy). Come on we can totally make it!
                            Last edited by Mizu; 04-25-2018, 10:08 PM.


                            Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

                            Senator of the Greater Chamber

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              When you ask a Dragon-Blooded, "What's best for the Realm?", the answer is not likely to be one that seems consistent with the priorities of an unbiased omniscient robot.
                              I was under the impression that the various informational writeups were meant to at least attempt to be unbiased and objection, tho.

                              It's entirely reasonable for a Dragon-Blooded at the time to answer that the greatest threat facing the Realm in the immediate future is House Tepet trying to step in and take over.
                              This isn't made explicit, tho, nor does it square with the presentation of Cathak Cainan as being super into duty and honor; abrogating your responsibilities to support your fellow Dynasts against the Anathema in exchange for short-term political gain is neither dutiful nor honorable.

                              For that matter, this doesn't even fit House Cathak's motivations in a realpolitik sense, as elsewhere they're on record as going "we'll support whoever looks like they've basically already got it locked in." Why would they care if that were House Tepet?

                              This has always been a problem with Cathak Cainan, not just in this edition. In my opinion, we could either use some wordcount devoted to how House Cathak squares this circle internally, OR the Cathak legions should have been replaced by the Sesus legions when it comes to which Great House was supposed to march in support of the Tepet's against the Bull and instead decided to pull the rug out.

                              Because so much of the wordcount devoted to him is all about how he's this dutiful, honorable guy who isn't going to try and seize the throne himself because he knows he's too old and he just wants to serve the Realm and how he treats friends and foes with honor and dignity. And like... great! Reconcile that with the Bull of the North, please! People are complicated. Expose and discuss this complexity! How does he feel about this hypocrisy? DOES he view it as hypocrisy?
                              Last edited by Murcushio; 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM.


                              "SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

                              Comment


                              • Just thought I'd point out, still some of those special limited reward tiers left. Like getting to choose one dragon blooded from a past edition besides the Scarlet Empress for a quick character write up or name a character new to the canon.


                                Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

                                Senator of the Greater Chamber

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X