Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
    Isator, careful now, seems like that's a roundabout way to get this thread us back (obliquely) to the perennial "Are martial arts Charms a 'thing' in setting?".
    I don't entirely understand this sentence.

Nevertheless...

​Could somebody link me to any fan projects to update the Dragon Blooded Charms to Third Edition? I would be interested in seeing how they contrast with the new cascades.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ons-hub-thread

Re: evocation/MA only character, it wouldn't necessarily be too crazy. We do have the Solar NPC who was all about the evocations.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        I don't entirely understand this sentence.
        Martial arts charms aren't a differentiated concept in setting, then why see a Dragonblooded who uses them as different from a user of native Charms? If Martial arts charms are *just* Dragonblooded pouring their power through martial arts, then why would in setting characters see a Dragonblood who does so as socially different from one who pours their power through melee? Why would in setting characters have any more scorn for them than a comparable Solar? (Though this is getting into the exact forum discussions I thought would be a played out tangent already ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
          Martial arts charms aren't a differentiated concept in setting, then why see a Dragonblooded who uses them as different from a user of native Charms? If Martial arts charms are *just* Dragonblooded pouring their power through martial arts, then why would in setting characters see a Dragonblood who does so as socially different from one who pours their power through melee? Why would in setting characters have any more scorn for them than a comparable Solar? (Though this is getting into the exact forum discussions I thought would be a played out tangent already ).
          Martial Arts styles are a recognisable thing in the setting.

The distinctive movements, form weapons, and stances are identifiable. The charms represent an exalted awesomising those movements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
            Martial Arts styles are a recognisable thing in the setting.

The distinctive movements, form weapons, and stances are identifiable. The charms represent an exalted awesomising those movements.
            Ghosthead specifically talks about Charms. There should be no way to judge somebody to be throwing away their divinity for having MA Charms instead of Melee, or expressing your divinity through communion with an object of power, specially a family heirloom.

Mortals can't do any of that, so any of those expressions are probably seem as exercising your divine inheritance.

Comment

• I think it sort of comes back to how "charms aren't things" is mostly, but not entirely true. There are certain techniques and powers that charms permit that can clearly be pointed out as things in-setting. Of course, generally speaking essence use is a kind of personal, instinctive thing, so two people using the same charm might not actually do it the same way, but I think Martial Arts are a bit of an exception to this.

Martial Arts are a way exalted have found to channel essence in a defined, repeatable way that other exalted can emulate. They still think of it in terms of katas and stances, but those katas and stances are not just about moving your body correctly. They're also about moving your essence correctly. So the charms are things, but that thing is simply an aspect of another thing.

Comment

• Well, that could be true for some Charms and not for others, even in Martial Arts.

And, more to the heart of the discussion, Dragon Blooded are still Ability based Exalts, and Martial Arts is an ability, therefore showing your power through them should not be seen as squandering your talents nor cause you to suffer from any ostracism.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                  There should be no way to judge somebody to be throwing away their divinity for having MA Charms instead of Melee, or expressing your divinity through communion with an object of power, specially a family heirloom.
                  Dragon Blooded have the Aura.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Dragon Blooded have the Aura.
                    Aura is only visible when flaring. It is a detail in a show of power.

You think someone is going to walk up to a master of Mantis Style, or the bearer who mastered Horizon Cleaver and say:

"I notice that when your anima flares, it doesn't flare in a certain way! You are running away from your spiritual gifts and spitting on the eyes of the Dragons! You pitiable lout!"

?

Comment

• Tbh, I think the idea that you're going to find a Dragonblood who didn't even develop an excellency in school is so vanishingly rare that I doubt there's any culturally-mandated way of dealing with it... if you could even tell, which you probably can't really, feasibly. A Fire Aspect flaring iconically and a Fire Aspect in Fire Aura flaring iconically do, I think, look the same (not 100% sure on that).

But I can't really see a DB Tiger Stylist not having Become the Hammer, and thus frequently entering water aura, or a DB wielding Gorgon not having Stoking Bonfire Style and thus frequently entering fire aura.

I mean, it's hypothetically possible, but surely it's so vanishingly rare for a woman with a magic sword who uses it every day and has unlocked its greatest magical secrets to have not learned the most basic instinct for using channelling her own essence into swordsmanship, that society is just going to be confused as to why you'd do that.

I guess if said character went round saying "the power of the Dragon's blood is so rubbish that I'd rather learn to unleash the power in this Anathema-forged weapon of Wyld-silver than use my innate Draconic power even a little" then people might find it blasphemous. And idiotic.
                      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM.

I play...
                      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                        Tbh, I think the idea that you're going to find a Dragonblood who didn't even develop an excellency in school is so vanishingly rare that I doubt there's any culturally-mandated way of dealing with it... if you could even tell, which you probably can't really, feasibly.

Agreed. 10char

Comment

• I can’t imagine why a dedicated Dragon-Blooded Martial Artist wouldn’t at least pick up Become the Hammer.

I’m usually the first to say “characters in-universe don’t pick their Charms”, and that’s true - but if they’re mastering Martial Arts than clearly that’s a basic expression of Exalted excellence that reflects that.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

"I notice that when your anima flares, it doesn't flare in a certain way! You are running away from your spiritual gifts and spitting on the eyes of the Dragons! You pitiable lout!"
                            ​Why not? They don't have any social Charms. Inspire action to create shame, in a public venue where responding violently makes them look like the asshole (if they can even manage violence through the shame).

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              A Fire Aspect flaring iconically and a Fire Aspect in Fire Aura flaring iconically do, I think, look the same (not 100% sure on that).
                              ​They do not. They explicitly do not. It's one of the first things said in the Elemental Aura rules.

Comment

• They'd look pretty similar. It's mostly a matter of intensity.

You'd notice if you saw one enter aura with their anima up, but you might not be able to tell by itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X