Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrilliantRain
    started a topic Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

Dragon Blooded Kickstarter starts on the 27th.

See this week’s Monday Meeting.

http://theonyxpath.com/dragon-blood-...meeting-notes/

Edit: Here’s the link to the KS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...agon%20blooded
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 03-27-2018, 11:01 PM.

• Lioness
    replied
    I had an epiphany on the Great House founders that felt worth posting but not significant enough to deserve it's own thread. So, Necromancy!

Most of the dead founders seem like they were truly fascinating individuals and create incentive to play a Dragon-Blooded game in an earlier part of the Realm's history but I found Sesus and Cynis a little lacklustre compared to the rest and I've finally put my finger on why. They acknowledge and provide context for the deeply rooted stereotypes of their houses* so that their decedents can get on with things.

*more Cynis in Scions of Note, but elsewhere Sesus is noted as having had her cheek slit for a night of adulterous beauties suggesting some self-control issues. Plus the whole fact that Ragara isn't dead makes me wonder if her glorious death in battle was Fire Aspects gonna Fire Aspect.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Just double-checking. I'm using the houserule of having Crafts work like Lore (i.e. specialties open up new applications, as opposed to having to buy completely separate ability ratings). I've already house ruled the 3 Solar Charms that needed tweaking because of this, but it doesn't seem that it'll conflict with ANY Dragon-Blooded Charms. Anyone catch any I missed?

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think it would get to the point of scrutiny of observing Aura.

Flaring at all, yeah, I can see an argument for criticism of not flaring at all, like:

"Did you see Tilati's speech? I thought it was too contained, she should've been awash in fire... I just don't think she gave it her all." (Even if they didn't flare because of Personal Essence use, someone with a bone to pick could say the lack of visuals was a disappointment)

"You lost because you are a coward! Afraid to exercise your Divine Right to Power, couldn't even bring yourself to manifest your Anima! Disgraceful" (after having lost a duel without flaring)
    Oh hey, something cool came out of this silly argument.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Did you miss the link on the last page?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    ​Bah, nothing wrong with the search function on this forum; I'll find fan projects myself.
    Did you miss the link on the last page?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I've fallen into a very silly rabbit hole. One that opens on the surface with a wry comment about what somebody said regarding their response to Dragon Blooded Charms, and descending through layers of defensiveness in response to it being taken too seriously (including by myself) and deconstructed to the finest detail.

​Maybe my brother is right about CinemaSins after all.

I'm sorry Ghosthead, I tried.

​Bah, nothing wrong with the search function on this forum; I'll find fan projects myself.

Leave a comment:

• TGUEIROS
    replied

If that's all it does, it probably doesn't cost Essence.
    The "enchants the user's voice" was a short hand for having Evocations related to inspire/instill through voice related means.

And remember, even if something does cost Essence, a user might decide to use Personal Essence, which has no visible effect at all.

So people who would actually care about minutiae on the matter and study these things would know that they actually have no clue as to when someone should or shouldn't be flaring, much less what sort of minor detail a particular DB's banner should look like on a specific instance.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I don't think people concern themselves whether Tilati's speech was so moving because of her Ability and Elemental Essence, or because she has Ligeia's Allure, an Artifact choker that enchants the user's voice.
    If that's all it does, it probably doesn't cost Essence.

Leave a comment:

• TGUEIROS
    replied
    I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think it would get to the point of scrutiny of observing Aura.

Flaring at all, yeah, I can see an argument for criticism of not flaring at all, like:

"Did you see Tilati's speech? I thought it was too contained, she should've been awash in fire... I just don't think she gave it her all." (Even if they didn't flare because of Personal Essence use, someone with a bone to pick could say the lack of visuals was a disappointment)

"You lost because you are a coward! Afraid to exercise your Divine Right to Power, couldn't even bring yourself to manifest your Anima! Disgraceful" (after having lost a duel without flaring)

But;

"Ha Tilati! You are a wretched fool! Care to tell me why your Anima wasn't of a WHITE fire, but just fire during that speech? Why are you squandering the Blood of the Dragon coursing through your veins?!"

I just can't see it.

I don't think people concern themselves whether Tilati's speech was so moving because of her Ability and Elemental Essence, or because she has Ligeia's Allure, an Artifact choker that enchants the user's voice.

Specially since Artifact bonding is such a big part of Dragon Blooded Nature and Culture. They are second only to Solars in that respect, and they carry an enormous Arsenal, they have Heirlooms, they are proud of these things. It is very ingrained in the culture, why would it be insulting to dedicate yourself to master a family Relic? There are whole martial traditions based on this.

The same with Martial Arts.

Like I said, I think expectations of flaring could be a thing, but not so far as to criticize Aura.
    Last edited by TGUEIROS; 05-10-2018, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    That line was mostly me commenting "hey, person who doesn't want to take any of the oh-so-weak and pathetic Dragon Blooded Charms; how are you going to handle social interactions".

​Combined with a bit of an observation that there might be a few noticeable deficiencies in a character that can't be substituted for with fight stuff.

And the fact that, since the social interaction rules have actual weight and significance, it can be possible for the rules to model saying a thing to a person and having it have an effect enforced by mechanics that cannot simply be overridden by disparities in physical power (or out-of-character knowledge or decision making).

​Still, the Dragon Blooded, especially those of the Realm, are prone to being touchy about social status, combative, and reasonably spiritual. The setting details in What Fire Has Wrought directly draw a line between the sensation of connection to the substance of the world, and their perception of themselves as its divinely ordained rulers. And, as the developers noted in their Charm commentaries, quite a few of their powers are a bit flashier than those of Solars.

​Fire can erupt from their mouths when they taste poison!

​I think all of these details that are actually in the book can effectively come together to create scenarios in which a Dragon Blood who inexplicably does not want to use any of their own Charms is noticeable to somebody, that such a somebody might take a manner of offence, and that even if they didn't, they would say some words that can hurt like a knife anyway because those galas can be rather catty.

​You know, a bit like the fiction that was used to introduce the Great Houses of the Realm.

Leave a comment:

• TGUEIROS
    replied

​Why not? They don't have any social Charms. Inspire action to create shame, in a public venue where responding violently makes them look like the asshole (if they can even manage violence through the shame).
    Yeah, we'll have to go our separate ways on this one. That is not something that is a thing in my view of the setting.

I don't believe Anima Flaring is such a structured phenomena that is so scrutinized as to be an object of insult.

There are numerous different reasons why the Aura may not show, maybe they used different Aspected Charms, they may have spent from Personal, not enough peripheral.

For this to be even noticeable, this would have to be someone that has watched yo uflare many times, and then there aren't any codified or provable way the Anima should flared on that particular situation.

There is no expected normal result for the denigrating comparison to be made against.

So its kinda hard for it to be a thing, in my view anyways.
    Last edited by TGUEIROS; 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    They'd look pretty similar. It's mostly a matter of intensity.

You'd notice if you saw one enter aura with their anima up, but you might not be able to tell by itself.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    A Fire Aspect flaring iconically and a Fire Aspect in Fire Aura flaring iconically do, I think, look the same (not 100% sure on that).
    ​They do not. They explicitly do not. It's one of the first things said in the Elemental Aura rules.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied

"I notice that when your anima flares, it doesn't flare in a certain way! You are running away from your spiritual gifts and spitting on the eyes of the Dragons! You pitiable lout!"
    ​Why not? They don't have any social Charms. Inspire action to create shame, in a public venue where responding violently makes them look like the asshole (if they can even manage violence through the shame).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X