Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare
    replied
    Another Game, another post. This one is on Dual Elemental Dragonblooded, as a compliment to Enhanced Aspects, and on the antagonists of this week's Session, a group of Mortwights haunting a Shadowland. I also included my mechanical observations about them.;

Dual Elemental Dragonblooded

Dragonblooded generally only ever understand and internalize a single Element. The power of the Elements does not often settle for second place, and thus it is not common or usual for a Dragonblooded to have two Elements in their body. Some may blur the lines between Elements or reach for strange or different explanations of them, but their soul will almost always beat as one dragon.

But there are exceptions. Monsters and Multi-Headed Dragons who can hold more than one element in their body, or even true abominations who can hold more than two. These are not common, and no Dragonblooded considers such a thing a possibility outside of their most wildest fantasies as a primary school child.

There is no secret regimon to awaken such powers, it is not a math problem to be solved and codified on how to bring such things to the surface. It is simply a facet of the Dragonblooded that must be called out, or that they naturally awaken to when supremely stressed. They do not casually come to those who try their best, or work their hardest; it is a combination of the inborn ability and the power to do so, rather then simply one or the other. But through Dragonblooded Lineage, there have been factors that have led towards possible identification. The most common is an outlier Dragonblooded; if a Dragonblooded is an Earth Aspect, but her mother and all of her direct descendents are Fire Aspects, it is possible that there’s another Aspect sleeping inside of her.

A Dual-Aspect Dragonblooded gets several benefits; she may use both of the two Aspect’s Anima powers, even at the same time. Even when she is at Bonfire or higher, she may enter the Aura of either Element, and if she knows any charms that have Elemental variants of her second or further Element, she learns those variants immediately and for free, and similarly learns new Elemental charms the same way.

Hunting Processes of Mortwights
    Mortwights are not innately of humanoid intelligence, but rather similar to Gorillas, Lions, or Tigers. They are aware of their powers, and at times display an animal cunning. A particularly smart Mortwight, for example, may be aware of the benefits of keeping one member of their pack immaterial, to use their magics to confound opponents in a way that they can not be countered with- outside of magic-, or the benefits of ambush tactics, but this does not mean you can teach one to speak or that they are excellent tacticians; they simply come into existence with the same understanding of their abilities that a Gorilla does their strength of arms, large figure, and heavy fur.

Mortwight packs are lead by the largest and strongest, and while sometimes these packs can get quite large, the larger packs of Mortwights never wander close to Creation or Shadowlands, instead favoring to live deeper and closer to the Labyrinth. There, they hunt ghosts and the losers of battles, scavenging corpses and the re-dead. A Mortwight grows as long as it eats, and there are theories of truly massive, ancient and powerful Mortwights- creatures that may not even fit the term anymore- that wander the edges of the Labyrinth or even within it’s walls, prowling for food. It is these large packs that force the smaller ones closer to the surface. Small packs rarely have more then a half-dozen of the creatures within them, lead by the largest one. They venture close to Creation, feasting on things in Shadowlands, people who wander into them, and whatever else they can find. Some are even lucky enough to come upon a Hearthstone, which the largest will eat. Such hearthstones eventually burst from the Mortwight’s body on their forehead, giving them access to it’s powers and essence.

Mortwights Mechanically

I ran a combat today featuring 3 Mortwights; one slightly stronger than average, one average, and one that couldn’t materialize to use their smoke cloud charm. Against 5 Hatchling DB PCs and an NPC helper, they were soundly dispatched in 2 rounds. I think there were two reasons for this; the most direct is simply numbers. By piling onto one of them they quickly killed it, then turned to the next one they could hurt. This was an expected outcome. But I think they would have lasted longer had they had more than a 5 dice Join Battle roll, which puts them even to the QC Brigands in the book, the lowest of the mortal QCs. This trait of poor Join Battle is mirrored in other Undead. However, for creatures like Mortwights, if you want them to be challenging, I think you need to let them have higher Join Battle. Because their only attack and defense option is a Perilous charm requiring their Initiative to be higher, and their smoke, they need to be able to act early in the round. As these Mortwights rolled low, they were already crashed before they took a turn, meaning Flying Time Technique would have been worthless, and they already had the smoke cloud up. Because of this, they didn’t have any recourse to being destroyed by the Exalt’s excellency charged Decisive attack at the start of round 2, since their Defense is only 5 at base.

I think if you wanted to make the base Mortwights stronger, I’d raise their accuracies by 2 on their claw, but also increase their Join Battle to at least 8. They need to go early, and they need to be ahead. This still wouldn’t make them able to beat most people (Solars will always destroy them because they can easily negate the smoke cloud), but they’d probably be able to survive a round or two even with bad rolls.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    This week's post is about two things; the way I've been running Dragonblooded of the same generation as the Gen 2 PCs in my game, and one of the weapons used by one of their peers.

I've always been fond of making Dragonblooded's aspects more unique by giving them new powers and changing how their aspects work. It's not the full 'Dragons of Another Color', but rather something like Dragonblooded who are specifically focused on one part of an Elemental Manifestation; such as a Fire Aspect who spews ash rather then flames, or steam rather then fire, or an Air aspect that only really channels Ice or Lightning instead of both. I think things like that make stunts better because they can make you think of how to use your powers in a unique way, and differentiate your character from other Exalts of the same type by how you focus on a specific manifestation of the Element.

Enhanced Elemental Aspects

I didn’t realize I should have been unable to do it until I had already done it- Kumari Kawthar

In the Early Shogunate, Creation’s elements ran rampant. Freed from the bonds of Solars and Lunars, heavy storms, great earthquakes, and massive magma flows struck the world. In it’s own way, this was the creation of the new world of the Dragonblooded, as Creation itself responded to it’s new rulers by making a world more fit for them, releasing it’s powerful elements from the shackles placed upon it. When the first children of the Shogunate and the Empire were born, as their exaltations took place and they came to refine their aspects, some reached not to general, overarching elements, but specific manifestations.

The first was Kumari Kawthar, the eldest son of Shogun Kumari Nahla. Exalted as a Water Aspect, but in his own way. Exalting within a thousand year storm, the Prince emerged not as purely a Water aspect, but something more. The moniker of Prince of Storms became apt for the eldest child of the Shogun, as he became an element of the Storm and the Monsoon. He could cast lightning bolts from his hand, draw storms into the sky, raise Tsunamis and Hurricanes. He was the first, and once he had done it, those who came after realized, in truth, that they could do so as well. From there, many came forth.

An Enhanced Elemental Aspect in my game is not a flaw, or a merit, but rather simply something that can be chosen. Only one of the PCs chose to do this; Saibok Zetian played by Omicron, who is a Fire Aspect who primarily focuses on Magma. In the previous Generation, Lioness’ Saibok Corinna mastered Metal as a basis of Earth, but hers was post Exaltation and more referencing the Metal benders in Avatar. When I discuss an enhanced elemental Aspect in this type, I’m referring to a character who Exalted in such a way as to focus on a specific subset of their Aspect.

Mechanically, this mostly involves slight changes to the character’s elemental charms. I’ll be examining the effect on three character’s charms;

Kumari Kawthar is a Water Aspect who is Storm Enhanced. His elemental charms are related to thousand year storms, monsoons, and hurricanes.

Chan Yoko is a Water Aspect who is Bubble Enhanced. Akin to Ceaser from Jojo part 2, her elemental aspect is focused on the slippery nature of bubbles and their reflective properties

Yan Tu Ansuz is an Air Aspect who is Fog Enhanced. Something like Smoker from One Piece, her elemental aspect is her ability to summon massive clouds of fog, disperse her body, and similar.

While this generally simply means that there are fluff differences for charms that depend on an elemental aspect, some of them instead have extra effects or can pull special powers out of charms through using their modified Aspect, such as Elemental Bolts which have a different benefit then a standard element. These sometimes come with extra costs if they’re actively increasing the power of the charm versus simply giving it different effects. For charms that let you purchase multiple versions of it, such as Elemental Bolt again, they have their own bolt as their standard one, then may learn other aspected ones from the 5 elements as well. Some examples are listed;

Kumari Kawthar;

Blade Deflecting Palm; Kawthar’s version of this charm results in sending electrical shocks into anyone unfortunate enough to touch him; if the triggering attack misses him due to the rerolls, he may pay 1 willpower to immediately respond with a disarm gambit, as their muscles convulse.

Flying Whirlwind Razor; Kawthar’s variation on the Signature Air Brawl charm is a bolt of lightning shot from his fingertips. Against an opponent who is crashed, he may pay 2a to make it unblockable.

Elemental Bolt Attack; Kawthar’s Elemental bolt flows like water and strikes like lightning, unable to be avoided. He deals lethal damage and may target any person he knows is within range, ignoring cover or the inability to see them, though he still takes a -3 penalty trying to hit someone he does not know the exact location of.

Yan Tu Ansuz;

Elemental Bolt Technique; Ansuz’s Elemental Bolt is a shotgun blast of fog that cleaves opponents out to short or medium range in an arc in front of her. The bolt does bashing damage

Body-Like-Clouds Meditation; Ansuz’s elemental aspect makes this charm infinitely easy for her to activate; its duration is Indefinite instead of Aura, but it costs 10 motes committed.

Fist-Spinning Maelstrom; Rather then knocking hit enemies prone, if Ansuz manages to crash an opponent, a haze of fog surrounds her for the next turn, imposing an (Essence) Penalty to all attack rolls against her.

Chan Yoko

Elemental Bolt Technique; Yoko’s Elemental Bolt leaves behind bubbles that stick and pester hit opponents even after striking them. An opponent hit by the Elemental bolt rerolls 2 successful 7s on their next attack roll.

Trail-Blazing Dragon Steed; Rather then creating a bonfire, Yoko leaves behind a trail of slippery bubbles that disorient mounts and gum machinery. Rather then an Environmental Hazard, Opponents must roll (Wits + Ride) against difficulty 4. If they fail, both they and their mount go crashing to the ground, and they are dismounted and prone, taking (Essence) Bashing damage that ignores hardness one time.

Elemental Concentration Trance; Yoko can meditate at the gleaming reflections in her bubbles, seeing the way that things shift in reflection to understand the truth within them. She may introduce a fact based on anything she captures within the reflection of one of her bubbles, determining a truth through seeing it through a different angle.

Kismet- Artifact 3 White Jade and Starmetal Longfang
    A spear appropriate for a Hero, Kismet, is a White Jade spear appropriate for those who seek to become renowned and heroic in the world, who want to engrave their own legend into the world and have their stories spread throughout the world. Inappropriate for being thrown, but fantastic for spearmanship, Kismet relies and combines White Jade’s powerful foundation and Starmetal’s interweaving with Fate to make a weapon that makes itself the center of attention, to help prove it’s user appropriate as a hero. It pushes you to seize the moment, to realize when the appropriate time is, and to take it.

A White Jade Naginata with a starmetal crane engraved upon it ends in a square guard with a spider silk tassel, and the hilt is made of steel and has a starmetal cap upon the end of it.

The Spear is currently being used by Vellen Katagi, a young Dragonblooded in the South. As he is still inexperienced, he has not yet left his mark on the weapon, and it, and him, are both still growing, as such, only a few Evocations are known.

Attunement Effect; When using Kismet, the Exalt does not lose Initiative for delaying her action.

Earth Rumbling Premiere
    Cost; 3m Mins; Essence 1
    Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; None
    Duration; Instant
    Prerequisites; None
    When battle commences, by slamming Kismet into the ground, the Exalt releases a shockwave of force that draws foes towards her. When she rolls join battle, the Exalt may activate this charm. Any opponent whose Join Battle result is lower than the Exalt’s must attack her unless they pay 1 willpower. For each opponent that the Exalt successfully parries in the first round, she gains 1 Initiative.

Seizing The Moment
    Cost; 2m Mins; Essence 1
    Type; Supplemental
    Keywords; Uniform
    Duration; Instant
    Prerequisites;Earth Rumbling Premiere
    Grasping the thread of fate and the surety of purpose that can come only from the combination of White Jade and Starmetal, the Exalt is led to find her confidence, then use that to buoy her strike at the perfect time. This charm enhances an attack, rerolling one failed dice on the damage roll for each of the following conditions that the character meets;
    • The Exalt has Delayed her action this turn
    • The Exalt is attacking someone who attacked her on the previous turn
    • The Exalt is attacking someone at lower initiative

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    Going to Necromancy this for my use on my new campaign;

My Dragonblooded game- which started way back basically before 3E was even announced- has recently started it’s second generation. The basic premise is a Dragonblooded game where the character’s start at the foundation of the Shogunate Era, then slowly progress through several generations as they change the world and the world changes itself. But it also deals with a lot of the same aspects that Dragonblooded deal with in the present; family histories, both positive and negatives, the pressures to conform and the pressures to create something new, and the eternal struggle to keep Creation from falling to ruin. Lioness , Bastet , The Hug Ninja , and a couple of others are the PCs. The first generation ended with HugNinja’s character establishing the first Shogunate on the back of her family, the Kumari. While it’s a lot of history to get into, I will over time probably be highlighting major features, or at least establishing their old PCs.

The idea of the game is that as each generation progresses, they have swapped families (Lioness suggested this), but are still playing both their old PC and their new PC. While the New PC goes through standard Exalted Adventures; beating monsters, fighting fae, keeping the world safe, the Old PCs work on a longer time scale; Shogun Nahla has to juggle her demanding responsibilities and her desire to continued expansion, Saibok Tanis must keep the peace abroad while also keeping the Shogun’s armies ready for war, Jiro Corinna maintains a system of transportation across Creation while also being an ‘idol’ that many look up to. In balancing these, the players have access to both styles of Exalted games, and are incentivized to work together or at times even against their own PCs.

This is a long spiel to explain the premise of what I’m going to be using this thread for in the future; As my players play the game, they’ll be interacting with cultures and systems that they may not get the full story of. In this thread, I can outline, from a more omniscient narrator perspective, some of the things they interact with. A Combination of Homebrew and Essays, I guess. Also included will be stat blocks for creatures, Evocation trees, and the like. The goal isn’t to brag about what I do or don’t do, but to offer ideas and things that others can benefit from; be it a piece of discussion on a festival or culture, an Elemental, God, or Demon, or an Evocation or similar. Today it’s about Rodeos, Aurochs, and Ahlat

The Grand Rodeos

Ahlat presides over two distinct groups; Cattle and Men. It is natural, in his emulation, that these two cultures work together to try and worship him. Thus is born the Rodeo.

From the First Age till now, Rodeos have occured. Competition between Man and Cattle, where both compete against each other in all stages of life. From Children roping cattle to young men wrestling steers to mighty women riding bucking bulls, all across the South, these competitions rage. In the Shogunate, it formed a circuit; the victorious in these challenges would progress to the next event, slowly earning more and more glory for themselves until they reached the Grand Rodeo; an event held only every year and a half. Some Gens specialize in training these victorious cattle, others in producing exquisite cowboys and wrestlers to test their might against. It is not a competition to the death, but rather to Glory. For those who win, the prizes are equally as great as the challenge; the victorious Mortals or Dragonblooded would be granted titles, land, or money from the Emperor of the South. For the Cattle that proved themselves the greatest among their species, who defeated all challengers, they receive a greater, more personal reward.

They go on a pilgrimage, crossing the desert and having their guards light 6 torches. Upon lighting the 6th torch, the Cattle and their guards are transported to one of Ahlat’s Sanctums; a massive tower made of white stone, with the horns of a bull arching from the top, holding the Sun itself between those mighty brass horns. There, every twenty of these victorious cows are combined into a single newborn Auroch, to serve Ahlat for 100 years before being replaced.

Even in the age of the Scarlet Empire, where the actual ritual has fallen into disrepair, Ahlat still takes the Hecatomb into his Aurochs, even if they are not as exquisite as before. And the pillars that would hold the flames still stand, monuments in the desert that refuse to be buried, even as the Oases they were near have dried up; objects that can still find Ahlat's Sanctum, even though most have forgotten their uses now.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Holy hell, the tags in this post when I tried to quote it!

Ok, I love the imagery and theme of your weapon and I never would have though to make something like this a Smashfist. That is awesome.

However, I am concerned about powers that directly affect someone's abilities or attributes directly. If used against an QC NPC this is impossible to determine because Quick Characters don't have broken down stats. Their 4 dice for movement. Is that 2 athletics? Or 1 athletics and 3 dex? Effects like this can be better represented as stacking penalties to athletics actions with either a set duration or a resist roll with a rising difficulty that culminates in the condition for your pinnacle evocation.

Just my 2 cents. I really love the concept and I think it can work with some tweaks.
    Doing tags on this forum is literally shit. I have everything formatted on Google Docs but the instant I transfer it over all formatting is stripped, meaning I have to do it again by hand a second time.

The thing about this is that while you're correct in your observation, because QC stats are kind of haphazardly thrown based on what 'feels right' (IE; Earth Immaculate has 8 Dice to Feats of Strength by only a Strength of 3, but his Combat Movement is 4; so while in Feats of Strength he has 5 Athletics, in Combat Movement he has no less then 2, but up to 4, while in the way of attacking, his Unarmed at 12 dice indicates he has a total of 8 in his Dex + Martial Arts, his Tetsubo indicates he has 10 dice in the same pool)

I made it in this way because I think that things like this should be attuned to non Quick Characters. In my observations, you want the technique to work best on things that are interesting; your greatest Rival shouldn't be getting eyeballed roughly on where this charm effects it, instead I think it should easily work for them, and you can eyeball the QCs.

For example, with the Earth Immaculate, I'd put his Athletics as Fairly High, so it's tougher to freeze him. You can certainly apply it as a penalty, but if you were to change the wording to apply it as a penalty, you don't actually have to change anything; you can just say 'for each success, apply a 1 dice penalty to all actions using Athletics.', but then when does the last Evocation become active? You'd have to determine which of the multitude of possible ways to roll Athletics on a QC is the one where you go 'when this pool is 0 from the subtraction of the penalty you can freeze them'; and even on some level you could then have people arguing it should be Resist Poison and Diseases, in addition to Combat Movement and Feat of Strength (I would personally use Combat Movement, even though this creates a weird concept where you have an individual whose super strong and tough quickly getting frozen solid and thus skipping out the entirety of the fight with a person whose supposed to be tough by instantly freezing them solid and shattering them), altogether a really annoying situation because someone's getting fucked over. By saying it's Athletics, it instead allows an ST to look at a quick character and determine how hard they want them to be to freeze, and then just go from there; it allows a dynamic difficulty set by the Storyteller that allows them to manipulate the total in a way that doesn't change the QC's actual stats.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Flare View Post
    North Wind’s Hand- Artifact 3 Smashfist
    Holy hell, the tags in this post when I tried to quote it!

Ok, I love the imagery and theme of your weapon and I never would have though to make something like this a Smashfist. That is awesome.

However, I am concerned about powers that directly affect someone's abilities or attributes directly. If used against an QC NPC this is impossible to determine because Quick Characters don't have broken down stats. Their 4 dice for movement. Is that 2 athletics? Or 1 athletics and 3 dex? Effects like this can be better represented as stacking penalties to athletics actions with either a set duration or a resist roll with a rising difficulty that culminates in the condition for your pinnacle evocation.

Just my 2 cents. I really love the concept and I think it can work with some tweaks.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    North Wind’s Hand- Artifact 3 Smashfist
    A glove made of Blue jade that’s incredibly light and orichalcum, the North Wind’s Hand takes the shape of a pair of gloves- not overtly heavy, but quite magical-, with a hearthstone socket on the left hand; unlike most Smashfists, the gauntlets lack any blades, heavy metal knots, or anything like that, instead featuring a somewhat minimalistic design. It’s cold to the touch, and cold to the area around it, filled with the winds of the north trapped within the fibers of the gloves. While attuned, the character can chill objects in their hands with a slight essence expenditure; freezing a drink or keeping it cold may be done easily, while freezing a bathtub may require 2 or 3 motes. Freezing larger bodies of water then this requires a later charm in the Evocation Cascade. These effects may be used for stunts, but most likely will not remain after a scene; A stunt to freeze the top of a pond to slide across it might result in the ice melting as soon as the character’s feet leave it.

Freezing Strike
    Cost; 4m Mins; Essence 1 Type;Supplemental
    Keywords; Dual
    Duration;Instant
    Requirements; None
    The Freezing gales of the North Wind cut through valleys and mountains and chill those that face them to their very bone. The North Wind’s Hand can do the same; each strike draining heat and life from a foe, or covering them, or whatever they’re carrying, in a numbing, chilling layer of Frost. When supplementing a Withering Attack, Freezing Strike may be used to remove the opponent’s Stamina from their soak, as the opponent’s body can not withstand the chill and mount an effective defense. When used to supplement a Decisive Attack, the freezing drains the life from a foe; after applying damage, roll a number of dice equal to half the successes on the damage roll; for each success, reduce the opponent’s Athletics by 1 for two rounds. This penalty can stack, but even if it applies no higher number, simply succeeding on a decisive attack supplemented by this charm causes the penalty’s duration to refresh.

Freezing Grasp
    Cost; 2m Mins;Essence 1 Type; Supplemental
    Keywords; Dual, Perilous
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; None
    With the North Wind’s Hand on an opponent, even when they struggle, the brutal cold will envelop them eventually. This charm increases the raw damage of a Withering Savaging Attack by one point, plus one point for each round that the character has been in control of the grapple. When boosting a Decisive Savaging attack, roll a number of dice equal to half the successes on the damage roll, and for each success, reduce the opponent’s Athletics by 1 for two rounds. This penalty can stack, and simply Decisively Savaging an opponent again while using this charm will result in the penalty’s duration refreshing

Winter’s Curse
    Cost; - Mins; Essence 2 Type; Permanent
    Keywords; None
    Duration; Permanent
    Requirements; Freezing Strike, Freezing Grasp
    With this Evocation, the character’s ability to manipulate North Wind’s Hand, specifically it’s abilities to freeze and drain heat, more effectively. In effect, this charm allows for specialized gambits relating to freezing the area around the character, and increases the effects of the prerequisite Evocations; if the character runs out of Athletics, further draining is not useless, but instead starts to drain the Strength of of the character at a rate of 2 successes per 1 point. Similarly, with this charm the character may make gambits to freeze large bodies of water, freeze and shatter weapons or armor, give opponents frostbite, or even make diseases regress or stall by freezing them in someone’s body.

White Wasteland
    Cost: 5m, 1wp Mins; Essence 3 Type; Supplemental
    Keywords: Withering-Only
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Winter's Curse
    All that is left after a blizzard is white death. An attack supplemented by this charm can double 9s on its Attack Roll, but using the Evocation in that way is not the intended use. Rather, White Wasteland represents the end of anyone struck by the North Wind’s Hand. When targeting an opponent whose Athletics has been reduced to 0 through the effects of this charm’s prerequisites, if the supplemented attack crashes the opponent, they freeze solid. From there, if the character wishes, they may shatter them into snowflakes with a single touch.
    Last edited by Flare; 02-20-2016, 11:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied

I think the balance concern isn't about how much damage you can do, but the fact that you can pull yourself out of any severity of Crash. It's a very potent bounce-back. If the goal is to only allow a small amount of damage, I'd just phrase it as "if you do a Decisive Clash, your damage pool is equal to your base initiative for the purposes of this attack" or something so it doesn't necessarily reset you. If the goal is to actually reset you, that's a big payoff and I have no idea how to properly balance that cost.
    An accurate observation. I wasn't really considering the fact even I've seen people with something like -30 Initiative. You could argue that the tremendous drawback of the charm's incredibly high Defense Penalty would require having some sort of ridiculously good trade off but I can also agree this penalty is too much. I think rather then trying to modify this wording to pull it out in a way that isn't overtly overpowered I'll just restrict it to Clashing only when not in Crash, which doesn't really require me to change the wording but rather to simply acknowledge that's the basic intent without other specialized charms and leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Flare View Post
    For Lashing FIrestorm Blade, I don't know if you can technically clash Decisively in Crash but for this weapon I would say you could, however, you would be dealing with a limit of only having 3 Initiative, which means almost any Artifact armor can make said decisive attack worthless.
    I think the balance concern isn't about how much damage you can do, but the fact that you can pull yourself out of any severity of Crash. It's a very potent bounce-back. If the goal is to only allow a small amount of damage, I'd just phrase it as "if you do a Decisive Clash, your damage pool is equal to your base initiative for the purposes of this attack" or something so it doesn't necessarily reset you. If the goal is to actually reset you, that's a big payoff and I have no idea how to properly balance that cost.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    I LOVE the concept of Eye of the Beholder being two different artifacts with different evocations! I'm totally stealing that idea in the future!

However, I have to say Double 9's on a Decisive attack roll? At Essence 1? For 3m? That's unbelievably powerful. Single best evocation ever.
    yeah there's a reason that it has no way to make a lightning storm happen unless you're Essence 3 and Reset yourself for it. It might still need nerfs but there's a pretty big amount of set up to get the really powerful Evocation.

For Lashing FIrestorm Blade, I don't know if you can technically clash Decisively in Crash but for this weapon I would say you could, however, you would be dealing with a limit of only having 3 Initiative, which means almost any Artifact armor can make said decisive attack worthless.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    I LOVE the concept of Eye of the Beholder being two different artifacts with different evocations! I'm totally stealing that idea in the future!

However, I have to say Double 9's on a Decisive attack roll? At Essence 1? For 3m? That's unbelievably powerful. Single best evocation ever.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    First of all, loving seeing more evocations in this forum. Awesome!

Second, some folks have tried to compile artifacts and evocations on this thread if you'd be interesting in putting your stuff there as well.

Now, I love Hesiesh's tooth! However Lashing Firestorm Blade made me wonder... can you do a Decisive Clash while in Crash? You can't do Decisive attacks at all, so I would suspect you can't. If this evocation grants you the power to do that, it's VERY good. The potential to be down unreasonable amounts of initiative and then just wait for them to attack you, use the evocation and bam, base initiative regardless of how many rounds spent in Crash.

Love the rest of the set though!

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    The Eye of the Beholder- Artifact 4 Grand Goremaul
    A Blue Jade Goremaul creatively made in the shape of a fist, the Eye of the Beholder summons forth lightning to strike it’s foes. In the past, it was ‘simply’ capable of calling down storms and thunder, and was known by a different name, the Thunderlord’s Might. But now it has changed; within the palm of the Goremaul has been implanted the eye of a Demon, and the terrible gaze of the still living eye can bring even the most stalwart foe to their knees, allowing the Eye of the Beholder to hammer it’s foes into oblivion while they realize their own mortality.

Attuning to The Eye of the Beholder makes the character’s gaze take on a threatening hue when focusing on someone, summoning lightning strikes behind their eyes and a deathly glare. By paying 1 mote during a Social Action, she may reflexively take the Hideous Merit for the purpose of that action.

Finger of Thunder
    Cost; 3m or 5m Mins; Essence 1 Type; Supplemental
    Keywords; Decisive-Only
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; None
    The blows of the Eye sunder and shock, they destroy with unwavering force. This charm doubles 10s on a Decisive Damage Roll. If the fight is taking place during a Storm that has the possibility of Lightning, 9s may be doubled by paying an additional 2 motes

Horizon Spanning Hurl
    Cost; 4m, 1wp Mins; Essence 1 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Counterattack, Perilous
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Finger of Thunder
    When assaulted from beyond her range, the wielder of the Eye may release it like a shotput, hurling it towards someone foolish enough to test her temperament. This charm creates a counterattack against an opponent attacking the Exalt from at least Medium Range, but no further than Extreme Range, and the character does not need to aim to strike. This counterattack does no damage if it hits, but rather knocks the target prone and pins them under the tremendous weight of the Eye. To stand up and move again, the target must complete a Feat of Strength Test with a Strength Requirement of 3, a goal number of 20, and a difficulty of the damage successes on the counterattack. If the target does not have the Strength required to participate in the Feat of Strength, they may pay 1 willpower to ignore the requirement for a turn. So long as the hammer is pinning the unlucky target to the ground, the Exalt can not wield the hammer.
    Q:What if you are a super Athletic Solar who wants to use Feat of Strength charms to hurl the Eye into the stratosphere?
    A: Well nothing’s stopping you. You and your ST should discuss what that actually entails.

Terrible Observing Eye
    Cost; 1+i or 1wp + 1+a Mins; Essence 2 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; None
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Horizon Spanning Hurl
    The closed fist of the Eye opens, and the Demon’s eye sealed within observes the battlefield. Before it’s deleterious gaze all things are revealed, revealing the futility of escape, and the pointlessness of hiding. Against an opponent who is launching an Unexpected Attack or Ambush, the character may pay 1 Initiative to increase her Defense by 1, to a maximum of the amount reduced by the benefits of stealth; so if she is being Surprise Attacked, she may pay 2 Initiative to increase her Defense by 2, but not 3 to increase it by 3. Against a Foe who is instead attempting to Go to Ground, she may channel her Anima into the Eye, sending out waves of searching light to attempt to track the opponent. For each level of Anima that the character pays, her opponent adds 1 to the penalty of the stealth roll for that roll.

Malevolent Death Gaze
    Cost; 3m Mins; Essence 3 Type; Supplemental
    Keywords; Withering-Only, Perilous
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Terrible Observing Eye
    As an opponent is reeling, battered, and about to break, the Eye of the Beholder locks it’s malignant gaze upon them, and they find themselves frozen in the face of death. If the attack supplemented by this charm crashes the opponent, they must immediately roll (Wits + Awareness) at a difficulty of the Exalt’s (Essence) to turn their face away from the terrible gaze before them. If it fails, they become entranced by the hateful eye until their next action. While entranced, they can not move, though they may apply Defenses as normal against most foes. The most devastating foe, however, is the Eye that has consigned them to their fate. If the wielder of the Eye launches a Decisive attack against the paralyzed foe, they can not dodge it; they may at the last second raise their blade or shield and prevent the blow from shattering their skull, but applying Evasion is impossible. And the blow itself is devastating; add the extra successes on the attack roll to the damage roll, and such a blow is always considered to be made during a thunderstorm for the purposes of Finger of Thunder.

Q:This seems cheap, and really powerful. How can you avoid it if you get hit by it?
    A: Well the effect only applies against one person, so if you’re a dodgy type who got crashed somehow and is now paralyzed, all you really need is for someone to Defend Other you, because even if they get hit they don’t suffer from the extra effects.

A Closed Eye; The Thunderlord’s Might

What happens if you remove the Demon’s Eye from the Eye of the Beholder? Well it becomes a new weapon, of course. Or really, it becomes the old one, the Thunderlord’s Might. Without the terrible eye, it can’t use either of it’s last two Evocations, but it also has replacements; the addition of powerful objects and charms to an Evocation is, to me at least, a Zero-Sum game; you aren’t adding brand new Evocations on top of an existing Artifact, you’re changing what's already there to fit the new components. So by that logic, here are two more charms to replace Terrible Observing Eye and Malevolent Death Gaze if you just want to have a Lightning Hammer.

When attuned to the Thunderlord’s Might, the character can always know if a storm is coming and how strong it is in enough time to adequately prepare for it.

Electric Impulse Corona
    Cost; 6m, 1wp, 2a Mins; Essence 2 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Perilous
    Duration; One Scene
    Requirements; Horizon Spanning Hurl
    Charging her Essence and her Anima into the Thunderlord’s Might, the Exalt makes the weapon, and herself crackle with powerful bolts of Electricity, shooting sparks off of her and her weapon. Even dragging the Thunderlord along the ground will cause sparks and lightning. So long as this Evocation is in effect, Any opponent who strikes the character in Close Range takes 3 dice of Withering damage that can not be soaked, and the character adds the same amount to her Raw Withering Damage with Thunderlord’s Might. The character does not have to hold the Thunderlord after activating this charm to continue to receive its benefits, so long as she is not actively switching to another weapon, she may pummel foes with her fists without issue.

Eternal Storm
    Cost; 6m, 1wp Mins; Essence 3 Type; Simple
    Keywords; None
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements: Electric Impulse Corona
    Gathering her focus and channeling it through the Thunderlord’s Might, the Exalt summons a massive lightning storm that covers the battlefield. This charm can only be used on 20+ Initiative. The character rolls Join Battle with (Essence) additional Automatic Successes, and adds that to their Initiative. This total pool of Initiative is then moved into the Lightning Storm, while the character herself Resets. At the start of the Next Round, and each subsequent Round, the Storm uses 5 Initiative to launch a Lightning bolt at an opponent chosen randomly as an Environmental Effect with 5L damage. A (Stamina + Resistance) roll at (Exalt’s Essence) reduces it to 2L, and this damage ignores Hardness. This charm may only be used once per scene. The Eternal Storm may also be used as a last ditch effort to return the character to a fight. If the character is Crashed, she may raise the Thunderlord’s Might into the air, and summon the Lightning back into her, adding it’s Initiative to her total.
    Last edited by Flare; 02-13-2016, 02:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    Garda’s Wings (Artifact 4 for both, Artifact 3 for one)

A pair of Dao made of Red Jade, with a tassel of silk attached to the end of the hilts, the blades themselves looking somewhat feathered on the back instead of straight, like the wing of a great red bird, the weapons are perfect twins of each other. The fire that heated the forging of Garda’s Wings came from the feathers that it is named after; the Garda Birds themselves. Garda’s Wings are an elegant, flowing weapon of flame akin to a pair of dancer’s tools, favoring wide, sweeping gestures for both attack and defense, It is not representative of the eruptive power of flames or explosions or the like, nor some sort of ultimate consumption, rather, they release waves of broad, flowing flames as they are swung, turning a combat into a flame dance as they swirl and wave across the landscape and the warrior’s foes. Capable weapons when split, they are far more deadly combined. The individual swords are the Left and Right Pinions, while the pair together are the Wings.

When attuned to either of Garda’s Pinions, using it in a Performance (Dancing) roll adds 2 bonus dice if the stunt involves using it’s fire to enhance the performance. Additionally, any Performance Specialty towards Dancing can be counted as a Specialty for using Garda’s Wings, though this does not allow stacking specialties. If both Pinions are attuned and being used together, some charms gain a bonus effect listed under the charm itself.

Garda’s Pinion (Right), Artifact 3 Short Daiklave

Garda’s Right Pinion is the offensive of the pair of its’ Pinions, using it’s lashing, long waves of fire to assault and strike at multiple foes.

Rising Flame Dance
    Cost; 3mMins; Essence 1Type; Supplemental
    Keyword; Withering-Only
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; None
    Building Flames and a genius Dance both build on previous motions to slowly expand, growing larger and larger. This charm supplements a Withering Attack, adding a number of points of Raw damage equal to the amount of times the character has used this charm previously in the scene, with a minimum of 1.

Flaming Wave Exuberance
    Cost; 4m, 1wpMins; Essence 2Type;Supplemental
    Keyword: Dual
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements: Rising Flame Dance
    With a wide, long sweep, Garda’s Pinion releases a rolling wave of flame in an arc in front of the warrior, even as it strikes at a foe, pushing back and assaulting any who attempt to overwhelm the wielder. When Supplementing a Withering Attack, the wave of flame forces all opponents in Close or Short range in front of the character to make a (Stamina + Resistance) roll against a difficult of the Exalt’s (Essence). If they fail, they are pushed back one range band by the searing heat. When Supplementing a Decisive Attack, the flames remain after launching them, creating a Bonfire hazard at Short Range in an Arc that burns for (Exalt’s Essence) Turns.

Special;If both Pinions are being wielded, the Bonfire Hazard lasts for (Exalt’s Essence + 2) Turns.

Circular Fire Dance
    Cost; 7m, 1wp Mins; Essence 3 Type; Simple
    Keyword; Decisive-Only
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Flaming Wave Exuberance
    Like rolling fields of grass, Garda’s Pinion summons a rolling wave of flame in a circle. But like a wave of locusts, nothing is left in the wake of the beautiful flame dance. This charm creates a Decisive Attack that targets all opponents within Close range of the Exalt. Initiative must be split, but roll the attack only once, applying it to all opponents. Any target who suffers more than 3 levels of damage catches on fire, and will burn, taking 2 dice of lethal damage each turn for (Exalt’s Essence) turns that ignores hardness.

Special; If both of Garda’s Pinions are being wielded, this charm can reach out to Short Range.

Garda’s Pinion (Left), Artifact 3 Short Daiklave
    The Defensive Pinion relies heavily on the methods of dancing and avoidance; it turns every dodge or block into the future motion of the dance, leaving trails of fire to protect it from repeated attacks.

Sword and Dance Method
    Cost; 3m Mins; Essence 1 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; None
    Duration; Until the Exalt’s Next Action.
    Requirements;None
    A flashing sword and rapid steps protect the Exalt from harm; even if one is beleaguered, the other is fresh. This charm decouples Parry and Evasion’s Onslaught penalty; until the Exalt’s next Action, an attack defended with Parry adds Onslaught to only Parry, and an attack defended with Dodge adds Onslaught only to Dodge.

Special; If both Pinions are attuned, add 1 to the character’s Parry and Dodge for the duration of this charm.

Flaming Backdraft
    Cost; 1m, 1i Mins; Essence 2 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Withering-Only, Perilous
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements;Sword and Dance Method
    The character’s graceful dance and fire gives them a constant defense against an opponent’s attempts to strike them, penetrating their defenses may lead only to getting burnt. If the Exalt is successfully struck by a Withering Attack, she may roll a number of dice equal to her opponent’s 1s on their damage roll, and prevent that much damage to her.

Dancing Through the Fire
    Cost; 1wp Mins; Essence 3 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Uniform
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Sword and Dance Method
    Assaulted on all sides, the Exalt continues her dance, and escapes unharmed, through fire, flames, steel and metal. This success and apparent invulnerability invigorates her. This charm can be activated at the Start of the Solar’s Action, if she successfully dodged or parried all attacks directed at her for the entire turn, including dodging at least one and parrying at least one. The Solar then rolls Join Battle, adding a number of dice equal to the amount of attacks she avoided. This charm can be used repeatedly during a scene, but each successive use must have avoided a higher number of attacks then the previous one.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    Starting in this post I'm posting all of my recent Evocation Homebrew.

Hesiesh’s Tooth; The Divine Rapier
    Too powerful to have just one owner
    Red Jade is always temperamental. It is explosive, eruptive, and powerful, just like the Fire Aspects it closely mimics. These properties become stronger the purer the weapon is in it’s Jade. Hesiesh’s Tooth, sometimes known as the Divine Rapier, is a blade of pure Red Jade. Save for it’s handle’s wrapping, from tip to hilt, the blade is red jade, and shimmers like it is constantly in a heatwave. It is a Rapier; a thin weapon with a basket hilt that tapers to a fine point on the blade.

The Divine Rapier does not care for defense. Someone who uses it as a delicate blade to parry and block will not unlock it’s true power; they will have a very well made daiklave, but they will not have the Divine Rapier. The Rapier thrives in ripostes and clashes, blow meeting blow, out striking a foe based on pure martial skill, and gives its wielder the power to thrive in these bloody, explosive conflicts that begin and finish in an instant.

The Divine Rapier was sad to be born of Hesiesh’s Dragon body, but wielded by his human incarnation, and that like Hesiesh himself, it stored its Essence for use in only the most severe periods of time, and that this was instrumental in finishing it’s forging process, and turning it into the weapon it is today. After Hesiesh, it is said that he passed it on to the first head of the Wyld Hunt, who passed it on to his student, and so on; always to a Fire Aspect who might have had more brawn than sense, who was not afraid to risk life and limb in explosive matches to see whose swordplay was better in a single moment. But like the Fire Aspects themselves, The Divine Raiper is also prone to their flights of fancy, and will always seek the strongest master it can.

Special Powers; Hesiesh’s tooth is a regular Daiklave with the Piercing tag when attuned. When attuning it, the wielder understands that the only way to truly gain the weapon’s respect is to engage in Clashes; after successfully winning a clash for the first time using Hesiesh’s Tooth, the Divine Rapier gains a permanent +2 dice to all Clash Rolls, the same as using a two-handed weapon. Afterwards, the character can begin to learn the following Evocations.

However, Hesiesh’s tooth is a fickle beast; If the character loses a Clash, and is then defeated, their attunement to Hesiesh’s tooth is broken. Reattuning the weapon is allowed, but the weapon will not grant her it’s Evocations. In order to regain them, she must avenge her defeat. Similarly, beating someone in a Clash, then defeating them and taking Hesiesh’s Tooth from them counts for the purposes of beginning to unlock Evocations for the weapon.

Gathering Fire Concentration
    Cost; 4m Mins; Essence 1 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Uniform
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements;None
    The heat that swirls around Hesiesh’s tooth is focused to a razor envelope around the crimson blade, as the wielder and the blade pick a target. This charm can be used reflexively on the character’s turn to Delay their action at no Initiative cost. However, unlike a standard delay action, the character must specify a target that they are attempting to Clash; they delay until their chosen target takes their action, no matter how their Initiative changes in between the character activating this charm and the target going. If the character wins this clash, the searing heat of The Divine Rapier strikes the flesh of her foe and leaves it in pain, adding an additional level of damage to the attack.

Lashing Firestorm Blade
    Cost; 6m, 1wp Mins; Essence 2 Type; Reflexive
    Keywords; Clash, Dual
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Gathering Fire Concentration
    Even on the edge of failure, The Divine Rapier will strike back fiercely, intent to prevent a fatal blow by destroying a foe’s attack. This charm may only be used when the character is being attacked while in Crash, creating a Clash attack against the opponent. If she wins a clash by clashing with a Withering attack, the character resets to Base Initiative before adding the initiative from winning the Clash. If she wins a clash with a Decisive attack, the character resets to Base Initiative before she rolls damage, allowing her to roll her base initiative as damage. This charm may only be used once per scene, but is reset by incapacitating a foe with a Clash.

Sinking Blazing Teeth
    Cost; 4m Mins; Essence 2 Type; Supplemental
    Keywords; Clash, Dual
    Duration; Instant
    Requirements; Gathering Fire Concentration
    On the Ropes or going for the finishing blow, The Divine Rapier is a force to be reckoned with against any who are foolish, or desperate, enough to attempt to meet it in a show of force. When Clashing an opponent with Higher initiative, the character may reroll her 10s on her attack roll, and keep the successes. When clashing an opponent with Lower initiative, the character instead rerolls the 10s on her damage roll, and keeps the successes.

Rampant Wildfire Frenzy
    Cost; 7m, 1wp Mins; Essence 3 Type;Simple
    Keywords; None
    Duration; One Turn
    Requirements; Lashing Firestorm Blade
    Focusing her Essence razor sharp and blistering hot, the warrior moves like a tongue of flame; each strike that tries to break her guard is not brushed aside or parried, but rather crushed before it ever begins by the rapid assault of the warrior; one, ten, a hundred, it matters not; so long as she can reach her foe so she strikes first, she can walk the battlefield unscatched. For the turn after this charm is activated, the character may reflexively clash any attack directed at her, so long as she can strike them; she can not clash ranged attacks without using other charms. These may be either Withering or Decisive, but if the character chooses decisive, rather than losing all Initiative and resetting, subtract only the successful dice and keep the rest. However, for each attack that the character Clashes, on her next turn she takes a -2 penalty to her Defense.

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    The Golden Fruits

There is an oasis in the reaches of the South that has held the bounty of Creation since Ancient Time. When plants were originally created, they were created in the same way as Behemoths; a single individual fruit or flower that exemplified the entirety of the species far above the pale imitations that followed them, but were safer and less likely to destroy what consumed or interacted with them. However, these golden fruits could not be destroyed and would not rot, so they had to be sealed; A God low in the Celestial Bureaucracy, Reverent Lotus Petals, was chosen to guard these golden fruits; she was bound to an Oasis, then that Oasis was scoured from all maps; it roves through the deserts of the South, never in the same place twice, to protect the world from the Golden Fruits, and the fruits from those that would abuse them.

To enter the Oasis would require sneaking past or avoiding the watchers that are posed at the entrance, and descending under the water in the center to reach Petal's sanctuary, where each of the golden fruits are sealed with a multitude of traps, including dealing with Petal herself. In theory, such a thing would be nigh impossible; even finding the Oasis would be a feat of Legend. But Petal has grown bored of her thousands of years of guardianship, and often moves the Oasis into the path of tired or dying travelers, saving them and sending them on their way.

The effects of the Fruits are only seen when consumed, and they are quite powerful. Vines spread from the wielder's body, and turn into powerful armor and weapons, while filling the one who ate them with power enough to match a Dragonblooded or even weaker Celestial Exalted, if the individual is skilled enough. The amount of the fruit eaten determines how long the individual maintains their armor, but eating too much could turn the individual into a monster, or even end them utterly, as they are consumed by the Fruit. Indeed, even eating the Fruit in small doses over time carries this danger, and more of these Golden Fruits can never be created; they are a treasure that could only be created once.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X