BrilliantRain reads Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrilliantRain reads Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought

So, I’m not promising to do this for every book, or even to be really in depth on this one. But I’ve got the time to go a bit in depth on this first chunk anyway.

Like the Sworn Fellowship we start with.

The morality that we get from the unnamed pair of Anathema is a nice touch too.

The whole “Lookshy is there to prevent people from seceding which the Anathema are provoking” thing is interesting. It makes things more complex, since, even in their point of view, they have to acknowledge that the Anathema aren’t utter monsters.

Silver ring? Do Night Castes have a silver ring now and I just never noticed?

....or is this a Solar/Lunar pair?

Ok, it might help things be less confusing if she called out that there was a Silver Anathema there too. Or mentioned an Ogre or something other than just going “Anathema” and “Wretched.”

Something.

Anyway.

Introduction looks good.

Getting enthused by the info about the rest of the book.

Ok, yes, I admit that I skip the Lexicon. If any of my questions later on are answered right here, you have my permission to mock me. But, honestly, I know enough of these terms well enough by now that I don’t really need this.

That said, in passing, I noted the Secondary Schools entry and I’m wondering what originally elevated those schools to prominence in the first place and, if someone wanted to build or elevate a 5th school of equal stature, how they might go about doing that. I hope there might be some discussion here in the history section.

I like the suggested resources.

Yeah, I think not mentioning Game of Thrones and Avatar would have gotten complaints.

.....And now I’m imagining Game of Avatar. I bet there were a bunch of points during the Fire Nation conquering the world or the history of the Earth Kingdom that could be turned into a large scale political/martial conflict between cutthroat nobility.

Admittedly, I’ve not read/watched GoT, but I’ve absorbed a rough impression of what it’s about via osmosis.

I also need to go watch season 3 of Korra.

...oh, is there a good recap of season 2 anywhere for people who are a little lost going into season 3 but can’t stomach actually watching season 2? Asking for a friend.

Anyway.

Hm! Scarlet Empress!

....Is that the Magistrate from the Aspect books in her bed? I’ve forgotten her name right now, but I’ll look it up later.

Interesting picture this paints of her. Thanks Neall!

........Ok, yes, I admit I’m now rabidly curious what the Hearthstone of the Imperial Manse/Sword of Heaven does and exactly why the Empress needs Solars. I will grant that the implication of “The Scarlet Empress is feeding Solar Exalted to the Imperial Manse in order to sustain her control over it and, by extension, her empire” is pretty clear, but I want details, man! Details!

Hmm a 5th School? What about a School of the Arts! Pumping out the best Musicians, Painters, and Smiths in the Realm!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

How does anyone have the book already? I thought the kickstarted just started?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
        The first backer update (which's for backers only) has a preview PDF of the Introduction and Chapters 1 and 2. The rest of the book will be released in chunks during the KS each Tuesday.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
          No one has the book. There are manuscript previews being posted for backers, as they’ve done for the last several kickstarters.

Comment

Ok, dont have mine yet. Though i did just back

Comment

You’ll have to go to the Kickstarter page and click the “Updates” tab. The first update has the link to the first preview. As you are now a backer, you’ll get emails about updates as they’re released from now on, but you don’t get email notifications of updates released before you pledged.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                Ok, it might help things be less confusing if she called out that there was a Silver Anathema there too. Or mentioned an Ogre or something other than just going “Anathema” and “Wretched.”
                I like this. Anathema are Anathema. It doesn't matter if they're Solar or Lunar. Bad is bad. Nice, simple, effective way of teaching society.

Comment

Hm! Scarlet Empress!

....Is that the Magistrate from the Aspect books in her bed? I’ve forgotten her name right now, but I’ll look it up later.

Interesting picture this paints of her. Thanks Neall!

........Ok, yes, I admit I’m now rabidly curious what the Hearthstone of the Imperial Manse/Sword of Heaven does and exactly why the Empress needs Solars. I will grant that the implication of “The Scarlet Empress is feeding Solar Exalted to the Imperial Manse in order to sustain her control over it and, by extension, her empire” is pretty clear, but I want details, man! Details!
                  This was probably my single favorite part of the overall preview thus far as well.

I'm with you on the details thing, too. While I can appreciate "it is what it needs to be for your table", stuff like this where it just gives tantalizing hints make me want something concrete. I'm hoping there's more on this in The Realm, if it isn't in the DB book proper.

And I'm pretty sure that you're right that it was Tepet Elana in there. About the only talking points about her that weren't present was her haircut and the discount Cloud Strife buster sword of a daiklave she preferred in the art. lol

Comment

exactly why the Empress needs Solars. I will grant that the implication of “The Scarlet Empress is feeding Solar Exalted to the Imperial Manse in order to sustain her control over it and, by extension, her empire” is pretty clear, but I want details, man! Details!
                    ​In fairness, that's been a detail of the Scarlet Empress' relationship with the Sword since First Edition. Any time that she disappeared in that manner romanticised into her wandering the Blessed Isle disguised as a commoner, she was generally performing maintenance rites, which included feeding the Anathema to it.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post

I like this. Anathema are Anathema. It doesn't matter if they're Solar or Lunar. Bad is bad. Nice, simple, effective way of teaching society.
                      While that might be useful for indoctrination purposes, it doesn’t help as much when the Wyld Hunt comes in loaded for a Lunar sorcerer and runs into a Dawn meat grinder because the locals didn’t know the difference.

Either way, I expect an Exalted Immaculate Monk to know the different types of Anathema, especially since she mentions a Wretched specifically.

Comment

I love that you guys paint in cool mythical tidbits everywhere you can. In fact, imma quote this section because it’s awesome:

“Fragments of that era still linger in hidden corners of the world. The art of the Zebremani people of the South traditionally depicts their heroes as crowned with fire or mantled with storms. The vast undersea palace ruled by the storm mother Konobala was once home to the Water Aspect princes of the Nine-Eyed Throne. The Sliver-of-a-Dream Pagoda, perched high upon the sheer southern face of Wujun Mountain, is still accessible only by the handholds that the hermit Love-is-Lightning carved into the living rock with his bare hands.”

The Shogunate: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Nice that you called that out.

Really, why couldn’t they have a Council or a Senate or /something/? Why does one person gotta be in charge?

I suppose they were used to having a military style organization with a pretty strict chain of command.

I hope the Sidereals book goes into whether or not they think the Shogunate was a preventable failure or not.

Basic history recap is well done.

Liking the other DB groups and things.

Hmm... a Census! So about 25,000 DBs all over Creation then, vs. 300 Solars, 400 Lunars, and 100 Sidereals and then all the other Exalts.

Given those numbers, I think DBs kind of have to be the largest Exalt type. Even if there are still 1,000 Alchemicals, that’s.... yeah. It kinda brings home just how ...I don’t want to say common or omnipresent, but, how compared to the other Exalted, they’re just so widespread.

I gotta say, I love the writing. Very evocative.

I hope we get a dedicated book about the Realm Schools at some point.

I have to admit that I find the characters of people who apparently failed to Exalt interesting. Someone who apparently Exalted as a DB at age 22 or so would be an interesting plot seed. Did they manage to fake it with some other source of power (and now a Lunar is well ensconced in DB society)? Did they manage to find an external trigger for their latent potential? Did the pilgrimage to the Caul help them somehow? Lots of fun potential there.

Heck, even just the potential for a person to fail at that, get posted somewhere in the threshold, and then Exalt as an Anathema some years later is interesting. Because there’s gonna be a part of you that’s hella amazed by what you can do now and how much more awesome you are than the DBs....and another part that still feels bad about failing your parents and is wondering if you’ll be able to kill your relatives when they come hunting you.

.....Ok, fine, these are dynasts we’re talking about. I’m sure some of them are positively salivating for a chance to murder all those jerks they grew up with and everything. But still.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0603.html

Incidentally, I do like Sesus Rafara’s character and I’m honestly hoping that someone manages to sneak in a note that her mother died of a “entirely normal accident” into canon somewhere.

Anyway, where was I?

Nice sidebar on the Immaculate Texts. Knowing that, for the most part, they weren’t written whole cloth by Sidereals helps take it more seriously.

Love the exaltation stories.

Very interesting notes on the relationship between Aspect and Personality.

So, the lazy patrician’s daughter after exalting as an Air aspect, might find a new appreciation for intellectual pursuits and develop some zeal for pursuing them... or might find that things come so much more easily to her that she can fulfill expectations with even less work now? Does that sound right?

Hmm... I’m going to need to revisit some NPC personalities in light of these Aspect tendencies. It should help them become more round characters though.

Ok, seriously, Heptagram book. Because I just know that people reading this section are gonna wanna do Realm School Games.

Comment

How many you imagine exist among the Dragonblooded of the Forest Witches, do you think due to their secret nature they aren't part of the estimated census numbers given, or do you think they are part of the Outcaste number.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I lump them in as an outcaste group. There's probably a couple hundred of htem, but they don't feel like a nation state in the way the Houses each do.

And stuff.
                            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Nation-state feels like the wrong term to use. "Nation" there seems like more of a tribal, ethnic term. On a few counts, the Houses seem to be built up in a manner reminiscent of sovereign tribal groups that you get, as an example, in some African countries.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                              X