BrilliantRain reads Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    "Cloddish" doesn't really begin to describe it honestly. That said, I dunno if that's all still accurate or not, since it's from John Morke's notes and not official text in a game book or anything.
    Probably not very accurate at all, considering this is a facebook post and Eric clarified the Satrap is a women a couple of posts above you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
      "Cloddish" doesn't really begin to describe it honestly.
      ​Yeah, I can't tell you how many British officials were given a very stern telling off when they responded to Irish unrest with things like suspension of civil liberties and mass imprisonment without trial.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

"If they don't obey your lawful orders, apply force. If that doesn't work, escalate force, and continue escalating until they do or until they cease to be a factor."

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Yeah, I can't tell you how many British officials were given a very stern telling off when they responded to Irish unrest with things like suspension of civil liberties and mass imprisonment without trial.
          For the chapter fiction in question it doesn't even really describe the whole Jiaran rebellion and hunt for artifacts so it's totally unreasonable to assume we'd get all of Mnemon's feelings on the matter but I think you're misunderstanding what Brilliant Rain is saying.

It's more a matter of being sloppy than being immoral. Like yeah you got the artifacts, good job, but you made a mess doing it. Not because you had to, because you're dumb. Next time remember you're from my house, and that means you're a professional who hires professionals. Seriously though good job getting those artifacts. Meanwhile the satrap is sitting there wondering why, apparently, they can't do anything right.

It's not unreasonable since she's an architect and those temples are shogunate era construction.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            I think you're misunderstanding what Brilliant Rain is saying.
            ​It looks to me like saying that Mnemon would tell off her representative for having not sufficiently taken the feelings of mortals into account.

​And, well, I think Mnemon is a more well-rounded person in this Edition, but that fiction piece is pretty explicitly depicting her as somebody who has become largely inured to their existence and seeing them mostly in terms of patterns fulfilling their place in the Perfected Hierarchy.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey
            It's not unreasonable since she's an architect and those temples are shogunate era construction.
            ​But the fiction outright depicts her as thinking poorly of their stuff.

​"Mnemon-sama, reports are saying that caches of First Age magic have been discovered beneath the vulgar, conceited buildings of the Jiarans. I propose that we tear them down in order to acquire those magics for the House, so that we might reconstruct their city in accordance with proper Immaculate fashions and principles, and make them pay us for the privilege."
            ​"Ah yes, the much coveted win-win-win."

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

​It looks to me like saying that Mnemon would tell off her representative for having not sufficiently taken the feelings of mortals into account.

​And, well, I think Mnemon is a more well-rounded person in this Edition, but that fiction piece is pretty explicitly depicting her as somebody who has become largely inured to their existence and seeing them mostly in terms of patterns fulfilling their place in the Perfected Hierarchy.
              Yeah no, totally screw the mortals, that doesn't mean you've got an excuse for wasting money and ruining the satrapy. Like if I task my butler with getting rid of an ant infestation, and he hires a guy that C-4s my lawn I can't tell you how few fucks I give for the lives of actual insects but seriously next time don't hire a guy that's so clearly incompetent. There's no room in the perfected hierarchy for words like "Rushed, under-budget, disastrous, or careless".

To be even more clear, if you tear down a temple for no reason, you spent a ton of silver, manpower, time, and riled up the locals* for a strict loss and no gain. If you bury an excavation because you were careless you better not have lost any engineers doing it. Not because of some emotional attachment to the hard working women that put the thing together, but because engineers are friggin expensive and not that common. If they had to do it then fine, but they clearly didn't. It's not about making sacrifices for greater gains it's about being ham-fisted when you could have been precise.

If you tear up the streets, lock down a satrapy, provoke a rebellion, waste money, waste lives (Purely pragmatic, not saying Mnemon would care about death if the people weren't on her payroll), and find awesome equipment in the process, then good, but better is expected.

And just because I know people will somehow read that and think I'm advocating for a kind, compassionate Mnemon who sheds a single womanly tear for the suffering of her people, I'll say again that this is not about showing empathy for peasants, it's about acting in a way that is clean, efficient and productive. The funny thing is even with THAT sentence people will still misunderstand.

​But the fiction outright depicts her as thinking poorly of their stuff.

​"Mnemon-sama, reports are saying that caches of First Age magic have been discovered beneath the vulgar, conceited buildings of the Jiarans. I propose that we tear them down in order to acquire those magics for the House, so that we might reconstruct their city in accordance with proper Immaculate fashions and principles, and make them pay us for the privilege."
              ​"Ah yes, the much coveted win-win-win."
              Yeah that's true, although it does seem inconsistent with them being Shogunate era temples. It's not like mortals were running the place during the Shogunate. I THINK what it means is since the Shogunate ended the people of Jiara tried to do that, by then it'd be mortal controlled, that stuff would be newer than the temples though.

*Not that you care about the feelings of mortals, but Mnemon isn't a defense contractor. When she has to go put down a rebellion she doesn't make profit off it.

Comment

Athletics

Base excellency adds successes to the roll. Odd.

Is the storyteller’s guide going to have an athletics system in it or are we just assuming that “rolling to jump” is a thing?

I’m a little confused why Perfect Climbing Attitude is back here. Is it supposed to be Essence 2?

I’ve noted that the Signature charms of elements that are not common in that ability tend to lack the Aura keyword. Which means they can be comboed freely, as long as you don’t mind getting kicked out of Aura.

Does the swimming booster charm let you breathe underwater, if you don’t already?

The Fire aspect runs you down. They are inescapable and trying to flee will likely end with you on fire.

The Earth aspect is stronk like bull!

The other elements are pretty much just there to help you out in whatever environment is most appropriate to them.

Awareness

If my character is blind, can I use Feeling the Dragon’s Bones to negate most combat penalties for fighting while blind? Would you consider it reasonable for my character to be able to just have it going indefinitely, provided they never used non-Earth charms? Or would that need an upgrade charm?

Would an upgrade to All-Encompassing Earth Sense that let you keep the Air or Water versions up while in the appropriate Aura work? Maybe let the Air one work in non-enclosed spaces and the Water one work in mist/fog/gentle rain too?

What effect does Dragon’s Crushing Gaze actually have? Say there’s a stealthy person spying on me, I use this charm, I win the roll and now they lose one success. But...that doesn’t help me, because I won the roll already. Do other people get to reroll? Or are we supposed to remember the rolls everyone else got and they retroactively win if they only missed by one? How does it work?

I think Fire’s thing is exploding 10s. Wood’s thing looks like it might be removing penalties. Earth’s thing seems like it’s adding successes. Not sure about air or water yet.

Eye of Blazing Truth. Maybe you should skip hiding in cardboard boxes when DBs are looking for you.

Ok, so I get that these charms are useful, appropriate, and thematic, but the first three Signature Water charms are only useful if you’re in the water. I feel like Water Aspects are being pigeonholed as Aquaman.

Maybe it’ll be better once I get into brawl.

That said, Serpent-of-the-Depths Discernment does seem like it’d be fairly handy in any garden with an unexpectedly deep ornamental koi pond. At least until the other DBs twig to that trick anyway.

Ok, Sense the Hidden Ember is cool.

The earth is watching.

Comment

Ok, so, rather than simply make meme references and funny comments, I've decided to do something useful and create a spreadsheet.

No, seriously.

I've got the names of every DB charm in there and spaces to note what element it is and places to flag the new keywords and everything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I only have the info filled out for Archery so far, but I'll try to continue adding more in. I also made it editable by anyone with that link, should people wish to help. If you do wish to help, please use the way Archery was done and formatted as a guide.

Once done, sort and filter operations should make it easy to find, say, all the Non-Aura Starting Water charms or all the Signature charms with No Prereqs, and help you figure out how best to go for a particular DB build.

Comment

So, any progress on this?

Comment

• Between a vacation and finals I haven’t really had much chance to work on it. That said a very nice person added in pretty much everything but the elements of each charm, so I should be able to finish this next week. Alternately, if anyone else wants to finish it sooner, they may do so. Or make a copy and change the formatting around if they think of a better method.

One thing I did do was to record the number of charms in each ability on the second page. Performance has the most at 30, then Larceny with 28, followed by Melee with 25. Stealth has the fewest at 15, then Dodge at 16.
                      Last edited by BrilliantRain; 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X