• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping great house politics

Did some doodling, made some judgment calls:

https://imgur.com/Z8c1EZG

tiny brain: "Boy, who would have thought that Realm politics are complex?"

normal brain: "yeah, but the first principal component is clearly Team Mnemon vs. Team Total Bastards."

indigo child brain: "Oh, so an alliance of Church, Military, and the Heir Presumptive is declaring itself against a conspiracy of bankers, degenerates, and spies? The 'total bastards' are clearly the relatively more progressive faction, objectively speaking."

expanding stardust brain: "The progressive bourgeois alliance you're hallucinating clearly doesn't exist though; Ragara is actively trying to destroy the more commercial houses, Cynis is invested in slave labor..."

galaxy brain: "Boy, who would have thought that Realm politics are complex?"

Personally, I like it far more complicated than even that. With intermarriage of the houses dividing loyalties and sub-families within the houses potentially having their own policies everything becomes a terribly tangled mess that is almost impossible to decipher. Just as the Empress designed it.

Comment

This seems to indicate that the strongest backed candidate against Mnemon for the Throne would be Sesus Raenyah (alongside her husband Oban... with Ragara behind the throne as long as he clings to life).

Meanwhile, House Tepet needs to get V'neef and Nellens over their rivalry to form a third bloc (with a secret friend in the shadows).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I've heard its a bit complex so I won't read it until tomorrow after a lot of sleep.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Out of curiosity, what do green and blue mean? I figure red means hostile but what about blue and green?

Comment

I also would like a legend for the colors, please and thank you. =)

Edit: Just saw your cross-post on RPG.net, so I'm quoting that to here so people can see the color chart:

Originally posted by Matthias
            Of course, my framing there, like the coding of what was significant or unambiguous enough to count for a red/green line (blue is tentative olive branches), is subjective, and maybe reflects a conservative bias of mine or the text's - you could just as easily say that the latter coalition represents (relatively) progressive proto-bourgeois elements against the more retrograde social coalition coalescing around Mnemon.
            Last edited by blackwingedheaven; 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM.

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

I think with a little repositioning, it might not look quite as chaotic.

Forex, just put Iselsi next to Tepet, because they have only one line, and that cuts down on some of the back and forth.

You could also Cynis, Ragara, and Sesus next to each other and cut down on a lot of criss crossing.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                I think with a little repositioning, it might not look quite as chaotic.

Forex, just put Iselsi next to Tepet, because they have only one line, and that cuts down on some of the back and forth.

You could also Cynis, Ragara, and Sesus next to each other and cut down on a lot of criss crossing.
                Good idea!

Comment

I'm guessing red means they are on bad terms but whats the difference between blue arrows and green?

Comment

Originally posted by Mizu View Post
                    I'm guessing red means they are on bad terms but whats the difference between blue arrows and green?
                    Green means they are allies, blue means they're potential allies (one side may have extended an olive branch) but aren't there yet.

Comment

So we have Team Establishment (Ledaal, Mnemmnon, Peleps, Cathak), Team Underhand (Cynis, Sesus, Ragara), and Team Underdog(Nellens, Vneef, Tepet, Ilesi)

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
                      Many Limbed Manual
                      Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                      San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
                      My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matthias View Post

Good idea!

That's even more clear than I thought it would be! I feel like I'm looking at one of those charts explaining how WW1 started.

Seeing this, my new "ship" (for lack of a better term), is V'Neef consolidating power, and using their financial autonomy, in conjunction with Nellens financial autonomy, to rival Ragara.

Oh... oh no. I'm rooting for the underdogs.

Comment

Let Team Establishment and Team Underhand tear each other apart, then Iselsi strikes from the shadows when both are at their most vulnerable, in the wake of which Tepet Ejava brings the Vermillion Legion to the Isle to restore order. V'neef is crowned "Queen Regent" (with the hypothetical idea that the Empress could return and she'd step aside, but no one expects that), and Tepet Ejava named Shogun. The age of the Two Roses begins.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-03-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Go team establishment!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              This seems to indicate that the strongest backed candidate against Mnemon for the Throne would be Sesus Raenyah (alongside her husband Oban... with Ragara behind the throne as long as he clings to life).

Meanwhile, House Tepet needs to get V'neef and Nellens over their rivalry to form a third bloc (with a secret friend in the shadows).

I was sitting there, and wondering why a Sesus is the frontrunner from that block, and not a Ragara, but then I realized, Banoba is a dude, and not a strong enough candidate to overcome the handicap of his gender IMO.

Also, having not been a DEEB scholar in previous editions (I came in during 2e, and the Realm just didn't have much draw in that edition from my experience), if two weeks ago you had laid out the underdog block, and asked me who I would think would be the contender from there I would have said The Roseblack, but V'Neef's writeup this go round really solidified her as a Good End contender for me.

Edit: combined with, I believe SLS's recent comments of Ejava being a "wartime candidate", good call on the Two Rose's
                              Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X