What are your Outcaste groups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your Outcaste groups?

So, the current preview introduced a bunch of cool Outcaste groups. What new groups have they inspired in you?

I’m thinking about a couple of cultures of DB Beastmen descended from loyalists who kept serving the Lunars. They’re rare, but I think logically would exist. I’m think bat-people in the southeastern jungle, and Komodo Dragon Blooded (... get it?) in the Caul.

Don’t know were yet, but i’m imaginging a remote kingdom where tribal entity is tied to Aspect. When a Dragon-Blooded Exalts they are always married into their Aspect Tribe, regardless of their ancestry. And the five tribes control territories appropriate to their respective elements, and engage in contests of ritual combat for dominance every few years.

A culture of pelagrathropes and dolphin-people with Dragon-Blooded in their Bloodlines, charged as ancient hunters and guardians of the deeps to patrol against the returns of the Spoken - though that original duty has faded into distant myth as they cling to their identity as sacred hunters.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Hmm, I had thoughts on the decendants of Loyalists too. I wonder how many people here have variations on that theme

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
        Hmm, I had thoughts on the decendants of Loyalists too. I wonder how many people here have variations on that theme

I had a cult dedicated to a Prescence Supernal Solar's sacred texts in the South East, currently operating as a secret society to overthrowParsad and restore their Solar order (Said Solar in life was an autocratic fascist, so...these were a villian group). Primarily Fire and Earth aspect, thematics of animal-armors. They cultivated mortal warriors in their mountain regions and followed a patrilineage, resulting in their cult spreading strangely across families in Parsaad.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
        Many Limbed Manual
        Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
        San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
        My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

So, the game I ran until recently (and now my friend's running) has two main Outcaste groups.

One is a country called Varamaya, where humans are split into 5 social castes, one for each aspect, led by a small number of DBs of that aspect.
          So the Tree Caste are vegetarian, pacifist polyamorous farmers;
          The Flame Caste are ecstatic warrior-berzerkers and butchers;
          The Wind Caste are artisans;
          The River Caste are river traders (the country is surrounded by many rivers and lakes);
          The Stone Caste are labourers and miners.
          There are about 10 DBs altogether; not a big number, but over hundreds of years these families have moulded the entire society in their image. It's believed that following the way of one caste helps you exalt as a particular aspect. The DBs only reproduce within their own Caste, meaning that, a majority of the time, exalts of a particular Aspect are from their own caste, though not always. As the blood has weakened, it is has become more awkward for the DBs to keep their blood potency amongst their own Aspect, leading to a number of theological arguments.

In the end, this culture ended up allying with the Realm (they were anti-Realm and allied with Harborhead, but the PCs topped Harborhead's government, and Varayama discovered that the anti-Realm operations against them were actually the PCs in disguise, so they switched to the Realm).

The Four Kingdoms were once ruled by an inter-married set of DB families. Inheritance is matrilineal, and the Queens fulfill important religious and cultural duties, while their husbands lead the country in war and diplomacy. They rule a variety of ethnic clans, bound to the Queens by oaths. The Queens themselves follow a form of Dragon-Worship, as do some of the clans, but others worship local Gods and consider the Queens the Gods' representatives (ensured by the Queens with sacrifices to the local Gods).

But the weakening of the families' blood has caused the system to break down. Many of the Queens are only "Dragonblooded" as a legal fiction. They attempt to marry foreign Outcaste men (with the promise of getting to be a King) to infuse the families with DB blood again, but there aren't enough available.
          At the beginning of the game:
          One kingdom was ruled by a mortal and her Cloud Person-Blood husband, who pretended to be an Air Aspect;
          One kingdom was ruled by a mortal and her mutant sea-person husband, who named himself Aquos Daanadsson, and claimed to be a Water Aspect;
          One kingdom was ruled by a Fire Aspect called Ashen Witch and her toyboy puppet husband;
          The last kingdom was in theory ruled by two mortals pretending to be DBs, but the real power was the Queen's father and ex-King (who was no longer King because his wife had died), an Earth Aspect.

But after the PCs went through, the Cloud Person-Blooded king was divorced by his wife, Aquos's wife was killed by PCs who made Aquos their puppet, but then Ashen Witch divorced her husband, married Aquos, and took his kingdom (which she inherited as the old Queen was her second cousin), making him her puppet, and leaving her old kingdom to her daughter, who she managed to marry to a Wood Aspect adventurer. The other kingdoms rulers were all killed (either by PCs or the Realm) and one of the PCs (whose married to Ashen Witch's other daughter) has seized control of it.
          So, basically one particular Fire-Aspected Queen managed to rise to pre-eminence, but she's still at the mercy of the PCs, and she's still ruling with a fake-DB husband, as having more "DBs" gives greater cultural control.

You can see the key theme of both of these sets of Outcastes was the thinning of the blood, and how Dragonblood families whose right to rule depends on their Exalted blood would try and cope with this, from a societal and legal perspective.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-07-2018, 11:18 AM.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

I'm still toying with an idea of a 'bandit clan' of Outcastes who get up to various shady dealings throughout the Hundred Kingdoms. I keep not being sure on how legitimate to make them though. Are they purely bandits, thieves and criminals, are they more mercenaries and heroes for hire, do they straddle the line? Oddly, trying to work out what they do has been my biggest stumbling block in developing the group further

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
              I'm still toying with an idea of a 'bandit clan' of Outcastes who get up to various shady dealings throughout the Hundred Kingdoms. I keep not being sure on how legitimate to make them though. Are they purely bandits, thieves and criminals, are they more mercenaries and heroes for hire, do they straddle the line? Oddly, trying to work out what they do has been my biggest stumbling block in developing the group further
              That kinda sounds like the Grass Spiders already!

Violet Green, Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by VioletDreamer View Post
                That kinda sounds like the Grass Spiders already!
                They're a good starting point. I'm looking to take a bit of a family vibe to them. They've been legendary bandits and raiders for generations, they strike deals with greedy rulers, and face overwhelming odds with smiles and laughter. I also am considering a tradition where the young members come of age by venturing out into the world, and their name is the first thing people call them. Like, Lightning Blade, Holy Tornado, Great Mountain....

And of course, one guy made kinda a fool of himself attacking a Lookshyan camp, so his name is Baka.

Comment

Anyone imagine a group of Loyalists who control territory? Or is it all secret societies?

Comment

Anyone imagine a group of Loyalists who control territory? Or is it all secret societies?

It would have had to have survived not just the the last 8 centuries, but the entirety of the Shogunate, so I think it's limited to deep Threshold "barbarian" kingdoms under the patronage of the Silver Pact - hence my image of it being Beastmen.

Comment

*hums* Something in the Underworld, perhaps? Or remote North. The Isolated Mountain Community is a bit of a classic, if you're going with something that survived. Or perhaps a group founded and trained by the Cult of the Illuminated, to give their lives for their sparkly overlords.

Comment

A family of Water DBs in the west, acting as privateers and pirates for hire for any faction that can pay. The secret is that they are actually a group of Peleps plants, who are there to infiltrate and untangle the web of alliances between western powers, to prepare the way for Peleps to move out to the west to escape the civil war.

I'm planning to run a chronicle for my wife once the book is ready, where she is a DB pirate out west, and have her uncover evidence of Peleps preparing for their exodus, and see what she does with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacepup View Post
                          A family of Water DBs in the west, acting as privateers and pirates for hire for any faction that can pay. The secret is that they are actually a group of Peleps plants, who are there to infiltrate and untangle the web of alliances between western powers, to prepare the way for Peleps to move out to the west to escape the civil war.

I'm planning to run a chronicle for my wife once the book is ready, where she is a DB pirate out west, and have her uncover evidence of Peleps preparing for their exodus, and see what she does with it.
                          Cool! V’Neef could make an interesting ally there. That sounds like a fun chronicle.

Comment

How about ynderground in an abandoned mountain folk cavern?

Comment

How about ynderground in an abandoned mountain folk cavern?

I've thought about a group of Dragon-Blooded Underfolk.... but part of me wants to wait till we see what the Mountain Folk are like and up to in 3E before exploring the topic at all, since I have no idea if the Nameless War is still even a thing, so the context they'd be living in is pretty much a complete mystery at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X