Considering Custom Charms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Custom Charms

So I (currently) have a Custom Charm slot... if there are still a bunch available at the end of the campaign (there are currenty still 14 slots), and I can afford it, I might do something stupid and acquire another.

Obviously we haven't seen all the Charms available yet, but I have some preliminary ideas based on what we have seen, and what Vance has said isn't in the book in response to previous questions.

Option 1: An Occult Charm for commanding unbound Elementals with the authority of the Dragons. Only works on Elementals of equal or lower essence, so no special exception would need to be made for Lesser Elemental Dragons and the like (if you're powerful enough for the Charm to apply to them, you fucking earned it!). It would be Elementally Aspected to which ever type of Elemental you are commanding... I don't know if it should be a 1 purchase Charm and it just applies for Aura rules based on what Elemental you are commanding, or if it should be 5 separate purchases.

Option 2: It was pointed out, that it's currently fairly difficult to maintain Air or Wood Aura in combat because they have less low-level strong defenses than the other elements. I was thinking of a 2-birds Dodge Charm to resolve this called "Leaf on the Wind".

Option 3: Vance mentioned that there wasn't currently a Bolin/Ghazan-style Lava-bending Charm, but it would be theoretically viable. So that's something I'd like to see. I don't know if it's doable with 1 Charm though, or if it really needs a whole cascade

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    So I (currently) have a Custom Charm slot... if there are still a bunch available at the end of the campaign (there are currenty still 14 slots), and I can afford it, I might do something stupid and acquire another.

Obviously we haven't seen all the Charms available yet, but I have some preliminary ideas based on what we have seen, and what Vance has said isn't in the book in response to previous questions.

Option 1: An Occult Charm for commanding unbound Elementals with the authority of the Dragons. Only works on Elementals of equal or lower essence, so no special exception would need to be made for Lesser Elemental Dragons and the like (if you're powerful enough for the Charm to apply to them, you fucking earned it!). It would be Elementally Aspected to which ever type of Elemental you are commanding... I don't know if it should be a 1 purchase Charm and it just applies for Aura rules based on what Elemental you are commanding, or if it should be 5 separate purchases.

Option 2: It was pointed out, that it's currently fairly difficult to maintain Air or Wood Aura in combat because they have less low-level strong defenses than the other elements. I was thinking of a 2-birds Dodge Charm to resolve this called "Leaf on the Wind".

Option 3: Vance mentioned that there wasn't currently a Bolin/Ghazan-style Lava-bending Charm, but it would be theoretically viable. So that's something I'd like to see. I don't know if it's doable with 1 Charm though, or if it really needs a whole cascade

Don't use your charm slot to shore up what you think is a weakness. This is your charm. Do something that speaks to you, regardless of balance. (i.e. don't do Option 2)

You don't need to worry about balance and whatnot, that's what the devs are there for. If you say that you want to be able to command the elements via the whispered word of the occult, a near-forgotten pact and promise made in ages past, then...the devs will help you balance it out.

Basically: What is something that is really cool that isn't already there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post

Don't use your charm slot to shore up what you think is a weakness. This is your charm. Do something that speaks to you, regardless of balance. (i.e. don't do Option 2)

You don't need to worry about balance and whatnot, that's what the devs are there for. If you say that you want to be able to command the elements via the whispered word of the occult, a near-forgotten pact and promise made in ages past, then...the devs will help you balance it out.

Basically: What is something that is really cool that isn't already there?
      Yeah, that's why I'm leaning toward option 1 as my first choice. Option 3 would be great too, but like I said, I think it might require multiple Charms to get right. I DO really want a defensive weakness for Air/Wood shorn up though, since those are my two favorite aspects.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning toward option 1 as my first choice. Option 3 would be great too, but like I said, I think it might require multiple Charms to get right. I DO really want a defensive weakness for Air/Wood shorn up though, since those are my two favorite aspects.
        I'd wait and see what the rest of the charms look like before really looking at what you want to do. After all, there might be some really good Wood Defensive Charms in Medicine, or Resistance, or Air in Thrown. DB's are slightly weird, though not Sid weird, and who knows what we will see in the rest of the charm chapter.

Comment

I'd kinda like a Water Element Dodge based Counterattack, where you get to smack your opponent on a successful dodge. I mean, I'd like an entire tree of Judo style dodge stuff, but one charm is what I've got.

I also kinda feel like there should be a poke a rock or stomp your foot on the ground and out pops a statue charm, but, given what we've got, I think I can can build my own upgrade to Stone Carving Fingers to allow that, if I feel like I really need it.

Other ideas....I'll need to go back to my charm ideas document and look at those.

Comment

A sorcerous upgrade Occult charm for applying the Aura keyword/effects to elementally-themed spells like Wood Dragon's Claw, Flight of the Brilliant Raptor and others?

Haven't really read the previews, so no idea of how useful, broken or useless would such a thing be. Just a thought because i remembered a reference to elementally-themed non-immaculate MAs getting no benefit from elemental Aura and guessed the same might apply to spells and/or evocations.

Comment

Working...
            X