Second Edition Charms - PEACH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Edition Charms - PEACH

One of my players was looking for something like a "taunt" Charm, but less like World of Warcraft and more like 5E D&D. I came up with the following option(s), but would like feedback on both before I okay them for my game.

Thanks in advance!

Moth to the Flame
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Presence 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Combo-Basic, Crippling, Mirror (Instructive Punishment Method)
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisites: Majestic Radiant Presence

Those who are not drawn to the Sun's light are often blinded by it. When this Charm is activated, the Solar chooses a single, visible target and rolls (Charisma + Presence) as an unblockable attack. If successful, for the remainder of the scene, that target suffers an external penalty equal to (1/2 the Solar's Essence) to all attacks that do not include the Solar as a target. This is a Crippling effect. This penalty only applies to attacks made while the Solar is within the target's engagement range. A single target cannot be affected by more than one use of Moth to the Flame; if a second application would be applied while the first is still active, the first application is overwritten and ends prematurely.

Instructive Punishment Method
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Presence 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Combo-Basic, Counterattack, Mirror (Moth to the Flame)
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisites: Dread Lord's Demeanor

Those who would defy the pull of Oblivion are punished for their temerity. When this Charm is activated, the Abyssal chooses a single, visible target and rolls (Charisma + Presence) as an unblockable attack. If successful, for the remainder of the scene, that target suffers (the Abyssal's Essence) dice of Lethal damage, ignoring armor, as an unblockable, undodgeable counterattack considered to have 0 net successes whenever the target makes an attack that does not include the Abyssal. The Abyssal can choose not to deal this damage if, for example, the victim of the target's attack has their own counterattack magic they wish to apply. This damage only applies to attacks made while the Abyssal is within the target's engagement range. A single target cannot be affected by more than one use of Instructive Punishment Method; if a second application would be applied while the first is still active, the first application is overwritten and ends prematurely.
    Last edited by Octopoid; 04-19-2018, 02:31 PM.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Timid little bump.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

For both of these, I'd worry about what happens if multiple people target a single enemy, leaving them with no way to avoid the penalties.
      Alternatively, what happens if you mark an enemy, then just run away while your allies fight them?

I don't have enough knowledge of 2e to speak to the overall balance, but I'd worry that these reward preventing your enemy from being able to attack you over being good at defending.
      (Both WoW and D&D have class-based systems where the classes with taunts tend to also have very strong defenses and few good ways to avoid being attack. These abilities also sometimes explicitly prevent some of the ways of exploiting those)

Comment

Originally posted by autXautY View Post
        For both of these, I'd worry about what happens if multiple people target a single enemy, leaving them with no way to avoid the penalties.
        Alternatively, what happens if you mark an enemy, then just run away while your allies fight them?

I don't have enough knowledge of 2e to speak to the overall balance, but I'd worry that these reward preventing your enemy from being able to attack you over being good at defending.
        (Both WoW and D&D have class-based systems where the classes with taunts tend to also have very strong defenses and few good ways to avoid being attack. These abilities also sometimes explicitly prevent some of the ways of exploiting those)

Excellent feedback! I'll add clauses that they only work while within the target's engagement range (thus negating the problem of someone running away), and that a target can only be affected by one instance of the Charm at a time. The application of another such Charm "overwrites" the first, ending it prematurely.

Thank you!

Comment

Personally I think the charms shouldn't just be an additional hit, but rather a roll (e.g. Charisma + Presence) vs MDV

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
            Personally I think the charms shouldn't just be an additional hit, but rather a roll (e.g. Charisma + Presence) vs MDV
            Did you mean auto-hit rather than additional? I can do that. I don't know how many layers of protection are viable, so I'm happy to add in another layer.

Comment

Yeah I meant automatical hit. Basically I would make the effect a compulsion to attack the taunting character. If the victims MDV is overcome and she pays wp to resist she takes an internal penalty of essence (or external of essence/2, though I personally find internal penalties more appropriate here) on all actions that do not include attacking the solar.

As UMI the base cost for resisting should your MDV overcome should probably be 2 willpower (though this may be raised through threshold successes as usual)

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                Yeah I meant automatical hit. Basically I would make the effect a compulsion to attack the taunting character. If the victims MDV is overcome and she pays wp to resist she takes an internal penalty of essence (or external of essence/2, though I personally find internal penalties more appropriate here) on all actions that do not include attacking the solar.

As UMI the base cost for resisting should your MDV overcome should probably be 2 willpower (though this may be raised through threshold successes as usual)

The only problem with this was that the player was specifically looking for something NOT like a World of Warcraft taunt, but more like a D&D style taunt, where he inflicts penalties for NOT attacking him, thus incentivizing the action rather than forcing it.

I think I'll keep the main Charms without the UMI aspect and instead keep it a Crippling effect.

Thanks for the input, though!

EDIT: "Final" versions of both Charms can be found edited above and on my blog at https://wordpress.com/post/tentacled...press.com/1163.
                Last edited by Octopoid; 04-19-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X