X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB Charm Commentary (part 2)

More charm commentary!

General
    • Not every Excellency has side-effects.
    • Reroll 6's, exploding 10s, and double 9s remain the most common dice tricks. Rerolling a certain number of non-1 failures is also pretty common. Full rerolls or keep-the-best-roll happen occasionally.
    • I appreciate that I could basically always tell the element of a charm from its title. One less thing I need to write down on a character sheet is a good thing.
    • There has been no sign of the dreaded "except when opposed by a charm" effects from previous editions. Good riddance.
    • In another change from previous editions, there are no charms that are specifically anti-Anathema. Even Anathema-Sealing Tomb.
    • Signature charms continue to be terrific. It's going to be hard for folks to choose just one per Ability.
    • I forgot to mention this last time: the idea of DB charms being "more mote-efficient" than Solar charms is gone. This is a good thing. All mote-efficiency did was make it harder to gauge what a difference in mote pools meant.
    • It turns out there's no charm that protects your non-Terrestrial allies from your own anima flux. Don't fight back-to-back with anyone you care about unless they're Dragon-Blooded. Dragon-Among-Horses Exaltation does it for your familiar. Nothing does it for your ship.

Specific
    • Observer Awareness Method can no longer be used to leech motes from a character, and that's a good thing.
    • Dragon's Hidden Treasure can turn any house into an arsenal. Lots of plot potential there.
    • Wind-Carried Words should still be learned by absolutely every Dragon-Blooded regardless of their interests or profession. Even with the shorter range, it's still that valuable.
    • I'm not sure exactly what Thousand Tongues Meditation does. It kind of reads like you can instantly learn a new language for 5 motes and 1 will, but I'm not sure whether "developing fluency without needing any prior study" is part of the charm effect or just flowery language.
    • Tantalizing Dragon's Tongue is currently the best-written "people find you sexy" ability I've seen in any game.
    • Lore Bolt still exists, as does Dragon Vortex Attack.
    • Lore has multiple co-op charms, as well as a training charm. Performance has a few, Survival has a few. There are a handful of other co-op charms in other Abilities, but they're rare.
    • Ooh, there's a way to hand off your Elemental Aura!
    • Truth-In-Stone Binding gives a dice pool to roll for a gambit, but I don't know whether that replaces the to-hit roll or the initiative roll for a gambit. Maybe there's a general rule for this written down somewhere that I missed?
    • Flame-borne Interception seems to just balance out onslaught penalty for 3m per attack. It really needs an onslaught negator to reach its full potential - like, say, Aura of Grasping Branches. Really, with Root-and-Hand Merging on top of it, Wood-aspect Melee has some pretty solid defense going on.
    • Aww, Threshing Floor Technique is gone. Ganging up in tremendous numbers stays the domain of ranged folks, which is fair.
    • I'm unsure as to the limits of Fivefold Resonance Sense. Does it give you an automap of your area, including secret passages, which are basically air wrapped in stone?
    • Purifying Dragon Suspiration has interesting implications for the Heptagram. Do I remember that the Sidereal masters there used to use Celestial-level sorcery to prevent students from revealing their presence? Not any more...
    • Ooh, Sorcery-specific charms! Hooray!
    • Mesmerizing Siren Call is a better illusion effect than... heck, almost anything in the game in any edition to date. I'm really hoping Lunars get something similar.
    • Three-String Sword Prana eats anima levels, but it also costs enough that it keeps its user stocked with anima levels.
    • Eternally Argumentative Flame = Continuous Sassback Attitude
    • Ass-to-Elephant Method sounds like a good way to get gored in the butt. What? That's not what it does? Oh. What does it do? Oh. Well now I'm imaging a rooster-tail of dirt coming out from behind a racehorse as it tries to drag a boulder.
    • Seven-League Gallop - And once again, Ride is substantially faster than Sail.
    • Vanishing Cloud-Rider Ways - Wait, why would I need to flurry a disengage roll? I can already take move actions and attack actions on the same turn.
    • Venomous Thorn Attack - Can I poison my weapons with my Wood anima effect or do I still need to carry a separate container of poison?
    • Fatal Riptide Strike - I didn't expect that using thrown attacks underwater would be so expensive and so deep in the charm tree. The surprise attack effect is nice, though.
    • Stone Needle Strike - I find the image of someone impaled by a throwing needle to the point that they're unable to move to be wonderful and hilarious.

I was really pleased with the number of times I thought, "Man, charm X really needs a Y effect in order to make it work..." and then three pages later there was a charm that did Y. This happened in reverse with Signature charms; I would read two back-to-back charms and think "Wow those would be a little overpowered if you combo them together..." and then notice that they were both Signature charm and you can't get them both until Essence 5.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

In regards to Vanishing Cloud-rider Ways, Disengage isn't a movement action, it's a Combat action. So flurrying it would allow you do move away and attack in the same action, which you cannot otherwise do.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
      In regards to Vanishing Cloud-rider Ways, Disengage isn't a movement action, it's a Combat action. So flurrying it would allow you do move away and attack in the same action, which you cannot otherwise do.
      Huh. Well, that will definitely change things in my future combats. It makes a lot of sense - running away while firing at your attacker should be more difficult. I think I was stuck in the D&D4 mindset where you had an attack action and a move action that could both be spent, and I had mentally slotted Disengage, Rush, etc. all under "Move Actions."

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Comment

Combat movement actions are both movement and combat actions.

The Move action is the only reflexive movement action, and everything else requires a flurry to use with other actions.

The reflexive Move action cannot be used with any other movement action except a Rush action.

You can’t use a reflexive Move action if you use a Disengage, Withdraw, or Rise from Prone action.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Not to get too off-topic but my group has almost never encountered a Disengage. Without an Archer, everyone benefits from being at close range, and having a sorcerer with Flight of the Brilliant Raptor means enemies at range can die at range. So it just never comes up.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I've noticed that the excellencies that didn't have any overt side-effects have keywords added, like mute. That in itself is a great bonus.

Comment

Working...
            X