Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will The Realm 3rd edition book be different than previous editions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How will The Realm 3rd edition book be different than previous editions?

    Hello all. I’m trying to decide if it is worth getting the realm book as an add on for the DB Kickstarter. Thanks.

  • #2
    It includes a revised presentation of the Blessed Isle's prefectures, with an eye towards making the Isle a fun and exciting venue for play, even if you're not playing Dragon-Blooded.

    Unlike Second Edition's Compass: Blessed Isle, it includes write-ups of the Realm's satrapies across Creation, both new and old.

    It includes material that's unique to Third Edition, such as the Caul and the groundwork of the War in the West.


    Developer for Exalted

    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

    Robert Vance's Patreon

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by StreetUnderBamboo View Post
      Hello all. I’m trying to decide if it is worth getting the realm book as an add on for the DB Kickstarter. Thanks.
      Well, what what they’ve released a lot of the structure is intact, but there significant changes (in my opinion) to various organizations such as the Immaculate Order’s view of Solar Abe Linar Anathema. Additionally, they are giving depth to a lot of the Realm satrapies and even portions of the blessed isle that are new and engaging.

      These are my thoughts but the Devs seems to be doing a kick ass job on the world building adding to the richness of creation with the added benefit of not removing all of previous editions.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think making the Realm more varied and interesting is useful (2nd ed Realm was pretty bland), but having a bunch of Satrapies I think is the main change. So it's got locations from every direction, rather than just the Blessed Isle itself.

        Also, most of the Satrapies seem to be new stuff, so it's not like those 2nd ed Compasses that spent a lot of time talking about places you already know about. (I really liked the second half of 2e Compass: The North, but the first half was basically just a reprint of Bastions of the North with a few changes in the detail. Same with Lookshy, the Lintha, etc.)


        My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

        Comment


        • #5
          It could just be that previous editions didn't lure me in properly enough, but even just from the descriptions in WFHW, it made the disparate parts of the Blessed Isle seem, well, disparate. I literally never once saw, heard of, or played a game set on the Blessed Isle, beyond maybe the Imperial City. I think this was because the entire island was mainly billed as "preternaturally climate and prodigious breadbasket, but also there is a giant mountain."

          This time though, their is actual Geography, and history, and it is varied from coast to coast.


          Raksha are my fae-vorite.

          Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
            It could just be that previous editions didn't lure me in properly enough, but even just from the descriptions in WFHW, it made the disparate parts of the Blessed Isle seem, well, disparate. I literally never once saw, heard of, or played a game set on the Blessed Isle, beyond maybe the Imperial City. I think this was because the entire island was mainly billed as "preternaturally climate and prodigious breadbasket, but also there is a giant mountain."

            This time though, their is actual Geography, and history, and it is varied from coast to coast.
            We had bits there. But mostly the setting was "some DBs' manor" or once, a war-manse. That was it. Certainly even DB games spent most of their time outside it.

            Oh, there was the one time we hunted Ragara, who'd turned himself into a ten-mile-long nuclear-cancer-dragon and was marauding across the Realm's countryside spreading death and pestilence... but that could have happened anywhere.

            Essentially, the game was sometimes set there for various reasons, but besides it being the DB's home base, not really because of it being an interesting place in of itself.
            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-23-2018, 02:26 PM.


            My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Saipjas View Post
              such as the Immaculate Order’s view of Solar Abe Linar Anathema.
              Solar Abe Linar Anathema is going to be my next Solar NPC. He'll have a huge beard, no shirt, and murder the undead with an axe.


              "SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Murcushio View Post

                Solar Abe Linar Anathema is going to be my next Solar NPC. He'll have a huge beard, no shirt, and murder the undead with an axe.
                I...got nothing, well played all I can say is autocorrect does the strangest things...>.>

                Comment

                Working...
                X