Updated for 3E: Ill Lily Style!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated for 3E: Ill Lily Style!

Hey there folks! This is a homebrew attempt to update my favorite 2E martial art, Ill Lily Style, to 3E (with some Legends of the Wulin Unstained Lotus Mastery to fill things out).

First things first, this isn't intended to be a direct 1-1 conversion. There're some charms in Ill Lily style (Capability-Enhancing Potion Meditation in particular) that I felt were functionally speedbump charms, and so decided to ditch with prejudice.

This whole thing was written with the understanding that poison penalties don't affect static values, such as defense. The dev rulings on this have been a little inconsistent, so I wanted to make that clear.

I also highly recommend creating a two- or three-dot merit allowing Wood-Aspected Dragonblooded to gain the mastery benefits of Ill Lily Style.

There'll be some more charm-specific design notes sprinkled throughout this.

Ill Lily Style

Like the poison made from the rare Scarlet Caldera Lily, this martial-arts style rarely kills its foes directly. It serves instead to weaken them, striking from many different angles to keep its victims on their feet while wearing them down from within and without. Its toxic associations give the style a bad reputation, though. People tend to assume that students of this fighting art are as shifty and dishonorable as any poisoner. Actually, teachers of the Ill Lily Style advocate facing foes directly… while hitting them from the side.

Ill Lily Style Weapons: Clubs, Unarmed
    Armor: None

Welcoming Flower Posture
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Perilous, Uniform
    Duration: Instant
    Perquisite Charms: None

The Lily welcomes the touch of another, luring his opponent into overextending herself.

Add +1 to the stylist's Defense. If the stylist successfully defend against an attack, subtract his Essence from the attacker’s Defense against his next attack if he attacks them on his next turn.
    Lily Rides Above the Waves
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Scenelong

The lily's motion is unhindered by wave or wind or broken earth. It is as deadly in a vase as it is in the field.
    The stylist ignores up to his Essence in environmental penalties to his Martial Arts rolls.
    Centerpiece of the Forest Methodology
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Uniform

The bounties of the forest, from the smallest toothpick to the largest log, are deadly weapons in the stylist's hands.

The stylist may treat any wooden object that he can lift as light mundane weapon with the same tags as a club, and as an Ill Lily style weapon.

Mastery: The stylist treat these objects as light artifact weapons with the same tags as a club, and as Ill Lily style weapons.
    Ill Lily Form
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Perquisite Charms: Welcoming Flower Posture, Lily Rides Above the Waves

One foot behind and one hand held high in supplication to Sol Invictus, the Exalt assumes Ill Lily form. His every motion drives minuscule streams of essence into his opponents, smoothing the way for later attacks.

The Ill Lily stylist's attacks with Ill Lily style weapons are poisoned, sapping the strength from his opponents. The poison has Damage 2i/round, Duration (Martial Arts + Essence) rounds, and a penalty of -1. Additionally, each attack the stylist make while in Ill Lily Form that strikes the target (it need not do damage) applies a single 'Petal' to the target. For every Petal the target has applied to them, increase the penalty of any poison affecting them by 1.
    Additional: If targeted by a surprise attack or ambush, you may activate Ill Lily Style as a reflexive action.

Note that Petals attach to the target, unlike White Reaper's Halos which attach to the stylist. This is why charms that consume Petals only consume them on a success - you need to re-build them for every new opponent.
    Roots In Tainted Waters
    Cost: 2m, 1 wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Perquisite Charms: Ill Lily Form

Poison flows as easily through sap as blood, guided by the stylist's essence.

By touching a single dose of plant-based toxin as a combat action that can be flurried, the stylist may replace the poison granted by Ill-Lily Style with that poison. The poison becomes transferrable by contact, even if it would not normally be. Successfully striking the target effectively discharges the poison; the stylist may apply a new dose of poison as a combat action that can be flurried.

Special: A Wood-Aspect Terrestrial may apply their anima poison for the duration of this charm without needing to re-apply it.

This gives you a chance to mess with some non-standard poison effects (ones that steal essence or the like). It's also intended to provide some synergy with charms that change a Wood Aspect's anima poison, should there be any.
    Beauty Unperturbed By Motion
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Withering Only

The stylist's strike sets veins of tainted essence to hardening, snaring his opponent.

The stylist adds (1 + Number of Petals on the target) automatic successes to a Withering damage roll. If the attack strikes the target, the Petals are consumed in a flash of verdigris essence.
    Touch that Awakens the Flower
    Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2

Poison blossoms in the target's body, given new life by the stylist's technique.

If this attack strikes a poisoned target, advance the poison by a number of intervals equal to the number of Petals on the target or the number of intervals remaining, whichever is lower. This deals the damage the target would have suffered over those intervals instantaneously and consumes the Petals as per Beauty Unperturbed By Motion. Reduce the poison's duration by the number of intervals advanced; if the poison has no duration remaining after this strike, it ends.

Mastery: Instead of advancing the poison, this charm now deals (Petals) intervals of damage to the target without affecting the poison's duration.
    Lily Twists in the Wind
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Duration: One Turn
    Perquisite Charms: Beauty Unperturbed By Motion
    The foolish fear attacking an Ill Lily stylist in his garden. The wise do not, for they recognize that all of Creation is the Lily's garden.

The stylist doubles any non-instantaneous penalties enemies suffer on their attacks against him.

Special: If the stylist uses this charm while he is in Initiative Crash, it is only effective against enemies with at least one Petal on them and all Petals on enemies that attack him are consumed at the end of their turn.

The intent of this charm is to not allow it to double penalties from charms such as Doe-Eyes Defense, while still doubling wound, environmental, and most importantly poison penalties.
    World-Focus Attunement
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4
    Type: Simple
    Perquisite Charms: Touch that Awakens the Flower
    The stylist makes an unarmed attack against any target out to Long range, so long as that target is within Close range of some form of plant life. Additionally, this attack is considered a surprise attack, and gains tags appropriate to the type of plantlife used at the Storyteller's discretion. Using this charm also grants the stylist knowledge of the position of every living thing in range, as well as their state of health and temperament.
    Anutpāda
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Decisive-Only
    Perquisite Charms: Lily Twists in the Wind, World-Focus Attunement
    The stylist lands a blow so virulent, it poisons the very fields that nurture his target's inner strength. She now walks apart from all the bounties of nature, forced to take what she can no-longer grow for herself.

The stylist rolls a gambit against the target, with a difficulty of (Target's Essence + 3), and converts a number of dice of raw damage to successes equal to the number of Petals on the target. Success means the target is no longer able to naturally regenerate motes, and the Petals are consumed as per Beauty Unperturbed By Motion. The only definitive way to remove the effects of this charm is by a second application, but there have been stories in the past of strange deals made with demons or raksha, boons from the Censor of the East, or similar challenges that also healed those afflicted.

So there you have it. This is my first piece of homebrew for Exalted (and my first post on the forums!), I'd love to hear some thoughts or criticism. Hope you liked it!
    Last edited by pfm1995; 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM.

First impressions:
    Ill Lily is one of my favourite styles too and I like how you've made this version its own thing.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Might want to knock the essence prerequisites down a notch. Non-Immaculate martial arts don't usually have charms above essence 3, and generally more than one charm at essence 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
        Might want to knock the essence prerequisites down a notch. Non-Immaculate martial arts don't usually have charms above essence 3, and generally more than one charm at essence 1.
        Good point; I've cut them down to more closely resemble the Core styles.

Comment

Ill Lily was also one of my favourite styles. This thread makes me happy.

Comment

The last charm is, well honestly it’s a bit too powerful. It’s a really cool ability but two problems; it’s wildly more powerful than any other effect similar to it, unless the target knows someone to “fix” him they instantly become wildly handicapped in a way that removes a lot of the fun of the play experience. I’d consider bringing the effect more in line with Essence Disrupting Attack and putting it at E4 at least.

Conversely, the first charm is a bit too weak, you are paying 4m for +1 Defense (which is a bit broad but at the same time not nessecarily more useful than +1 to E or Parry which is more common in low hanging MA) and an attack bonus, but you’ll only ever gain that bonus once, even if you activate the charm many times, so you’re not really getting that much mileage out of it. I’d consider either just making it a cheaper attack enhancing charm that improved your defense against the target if it hit or inflicted poison or some such thing.

The Willpower cost of the poison synthesis charm seems like it is a bit expensive for a single use effect intended to be used more than once in combat— but that’s not a major qualm.

The cancel environmental penalties for one scene seems likewise a bit broad and out of the blue (what kind of penalties and why? What makes the ill Lilly better suited to fighting on a clothesline suspended in a windstorm amidst the skyscrapers of chiarascuro or in a crowded ballroom choked with smoke or on an ice sheet), I think you could work a similar effect in that was more narrow, more powerful within the limited scope, and a more interesting and desirable combat charm.

Beyond that I think it’s cool and a very different take on the style, and it’s nice to see people porting some of the 2e terrestrial styles over.

Comment

Originally posted by JiveX View Post
              The last charm is, well honestly it’s a bit too powerful. It’s a really cool ability but two problems; it’s wildly more powerful than any other effect similar to it, unless the target knows someone to “fix” him they instantly become wildly handicapped in a way that removes a lot of the fun of the play experience. I’d consider bringing the effect more in line with Essence Disrupting Attack and putting it at E4 at least.
              I balanced Anutpāda off of Soul Mastery from Wood Dragon Style; it was intended to be both easier to land (that is, not requiring as high a difficulty) and cheaper, but also less powerful and more interesting (as it's not a one-hit KO). More than that, though, it's also intended to be a more narratively interesting charm. From the point of view of a player using that charm, it fits nicely with the Ill Lily theme of being stronger the longer the fight goes on while not ending the fight immediately (after all, they still have motes left to kick your ass with). If your enemy escapes, he makes for a more interesting recurring villain - forced to deceive mortals into worshiping him or use charms similar to Ghost-Eating Technique to regen motes (the charm only cuts off your natural regeneration; for a good example of what this might lead to look up Nox from Wakfu). If your enemy doesn't escape, well, then you just had a more interesting fight than dropping Soul Mastery and being done with it. Remember that, by design, Ill Lily does poorly against 'Go Big or Go Home' fighting styles - some enemies may start hoarding motes, others will stop in the hopes of dropping you quickly. That second option is bad news.

From the point of view of a player having this charm used against them, again I kinda have to compare it to Soul Mastery. No DM in their right mind would ever use Soul Mastery against a PC; it's a save or die in the worst way. Conversely, Anutpāda ratchets up the tension of a fight a good few notches and gives you a nice way of re-balancing an otherwise easy encounter. It's also nice quest-fodder, since finding a way to cure yourself isn't and shouldn't be a matter of making a Medicine check, and it pushes the PC towards the above mentioned ethically-dubious mote regeneration options. Anutpāda definitely isn't going to be suitable for everyone's story, but you're the Storyteller - you decide if your NPC has mastered this charm.

At the end of the day I also just wanted a powerful and downright cool capstone charm.

Edit: Where is Essence-Disrupting Attack from? I'm having trouble finding it in Core.

Conversely, the first charm is a bit too weak, you are paying 4m for +1 Defense (which is a bit broad but at the same time not nessecarily more useful than +1 to E or Parry which is more common in low hanging MA) and an attack bonus, but you’ll only ever gain that bonus once, even if you activate the charm many times, so you’re not really getting that much mileage out of it. I’d consider either just making it a cheaper attack enhancing charm that improved your defense against the target if it hit or inflicted poison or some such thing.
              Welcoming Flower Posture I balanced off of the base Solar MA excellency, and I intended it to be a new version of Attractive Floor-Greasing Posture (I avoided using the original name for fear of being spanked by the copyright fairy, as hilarious as it is). Welcoming Flower Posture cost double what just using an Excellency to raise your defense by +1 would, in return for providing a very hefty bonus to your next attack if you're successful - remember penalties don't count towards your charm dice cap. Potentially, you've spent 2m to cost your opponent 2x your Essence in motes. That's an even trade at Essence 1 and only gets better over time.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "but you’ll only ever gain that bonus once, even if you activate the charm many times". The malus to your opponents defense only applies against your next attack made on your next turn, so you need to use the charm every round to gain the malus. Using it against multiple opponents isn't so useful, since you can likely only attack one, but that's working as intended. You can't use this charm more than once against the same attack, like most similar charms I can think of it doesn't have the 'Stackable' keyword.

The Willpower cost of the poison synthesis charm seems like it is a bit expensive for a single use effect intended to be used more than once in combat— but that’s not a major qualm.
              If you're talking about Touch that Awakens the Flower, it's a really big bonus; I was actually thinking it should cost more motes. Between poison and wound penalties after landing the decisive necessary to apply a poison, your opponents sitting on at minimum a -3, likely a fair bit higher. Really, I'd think you'd only use this charm once per opponent.

If you're talking about Roots In Tainted Waters, it's Scenelong - you only pay the cost once. The willpower cost is there more as a defense against whatever wacky poisons get published as 3E continues; I can't balance against them so I wanted to make sure using any of them wasn't a casual decision.

The cancel environmental penalties for one scene seems likewise a bit broad and out of the blue (what kind of penalties and why? What makes the ill Lilly better suited to fighting on a clothesline suspended in a windstorm amidst the skyscrapers of chiarascuro or in a crowded ballroom choked with smoke or on an ice sheet), I think you could work a similar effect in that was more narrow, more powerful within the limited scope, and a more interesting and desirable combat charm.
              A large part of the original Ill Lily Style was using your environment against your opponent; Lily Rides Above the Waves is meant as a continuation of that theme. Ill Lily is a Wood-aspected elemental style, after all - I wanted it to synergize with Survival, and hopefully with some of the Wood Aspect toolkit (heck, maybe even Performance if you're creative). It's also all about pushing an opponent into an unfavorable position and compromising their own style in a hundred little ways; choosing the battlefield is a part of that. An Ill Lily stylist's nightmare is a blank-room fight.

I agree that it's kind of a boring bonus, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Beyond that I think it’s cool and a very different take on the style, and it’s nice to see people porting some of the 2e terrestrial styles over.
              Thanks! I'm glad to see some critiques of this, since I'll be the first to admit I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to balance. I think raising the Essence requirements of Anutpāda to 4 might be a good change to make, but on the other hand I want players to be using this charm to set up story arcs, not end them.
              Last edited by pfm1995; 04-26-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Okay, just to clarify:
                Not a huge fan of soul mastery either, but it’s an essence 5 charm available only to Celestial Exalted and immaculates And it’s supposed to represent the high watermark of Martial Arts power. Balancing Martial Arts off the immaculate styles is, in my opinion a big mistake. That said, in addition to raising the Essence, I’d add more situations that allow the curse to be broken. From a gameplay standpoint, if it were possible for most Exalted to turn off each others Essence, exaltation itself becomes a lot less special. And I don’t think “at least your not dead” is a particularly good justification for those kinds of effects. At least if the target could seek out a sorcerer to fix him, or some wise Sage, or some redemptive act— or really all of the above, it would make for a more Interesting effect. I’d also consider modeling it after the the righteous devil effect where the character can opt into the curse to avoid some heighnous damage.

Re Welcoming Flower: What you explained to me is actually what my gripe with the charm is. It’s too expensive to be a good defensive utility charm, and the bonus it does provide you can only leverage once, so every time you use it successfully after the first time, unless you have some multi attack effect to use, you are wasting 2m (the cost above the +1 bonus). Id consider making it 2m, 1i, eliminating the Defense bonus, and setting the penalty at (Lower of Essence or Threshold By which the attack missed), and adding a mastery effect that allowed you to ignore onslaught resulting from the defended attack or activated after an attack has been rolled (bringing it more in line with the entry charm from single point, if slightly more powerful).

Re Lily Rides Above the Waves: The problem is that a) the character your describing will likely have charms to make this reduntant, and a Celestial almost certainly will, if they don’t then this is just a “grab bag” type effect. Consider instead providing a bonus when the character exploits the environment which is more evocative than straight penalty negation. For instance, maybe she ignores penalties an attacks, and may double 9s on withering damage or 10s on decisive damage equal on her attack roll, perhaps even adding bonus dice to damage she stunts her attack to exploit the environment in an interesting way. Or maybe make it relative, rewarding her for fighting in a situation where she is not penalized but her enemy is (bonus to Initiative Break or reset when she attacks a character who suffers penalties from the environment or poison she does not) remember that ignoring penalties is not the same as not having them (DSD does not negate the effects of solar brawl charms that leverage onslaught)

Anyway, I hope that helps, it’s your homebrew obviously and I do like it. Just my two cents. Good work.

Sorry for my erratic typing— using my phone

Comment

Okay, just to clarify:
                  Not a huge fan of soul mastery either, but it’s an essence 5 charm available only to Celestial Exalted and immaculates And it’s supposed to represent the high watermark of Martial Arts power. Balancing Martial Arts off the immaculate styles is, in my opinion a big mistake. That said, in addition to raising the Essence, I’d add more situations that allow the curse to be broken. From a gameplay standpoint, if it were possible for most Exalted to turn off each others Essence, exaltation itself becomes a lot less special. And I don’t think “at least your not dead” is a particularly good justification for those kinds of effects. At least if the target could seek out a sorcerer to fix him, or some wise Sage, or some redemptive act— or really all of the above, it would make for a more Interesting effect. I’d also consider modeling it after the the righteous devil effect where the character can opt into the curse to avoid some heighnous damage.
                  I did intend for PCs, at least, to be able to cure the effect (I'd never expect someone to go through an entire campaign with that on their shoulders) and I should include some verbiage to that effect. What I want to avoid is it being fixed by something as simple as a single skill check or charm - something more akin in scale to crafting an artifact was what I had in mind. I also definitely don't want it to have a damage component - Ill Lily has no charms to boost decisive damage, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Re Welcoming Flower: What you explained to me is actually what my gripe with the charm is. It’s too expensive to be a good defensive utility charm, and the bonus it does provide you can only leverage once, so every time you use it successfully after the first time, unless you have some multi attack effect to use, you are wasting 2m (the cost above the +1 bonus). Id consider making it 2m, 1i, eliminating the Defense bonus, and setting the penalty at (Lower of Essence or Threshold By which the attack missed), and adding a mastery effect that allowed you to ignore onslaught resulting from the defended attack or activated after an attack has been rolled (bringing it more in line with the entry charm from single point, if slightly more powerful).
                  I'm still not entirely sure what you mean when you say "every time you use it successfully after the first time, unless you have some multi attack effect to use, you are wasting 2m". You shouldn't be using Welcoming Flower Posture more than once a round because it's not a defensive utility charm - it's an accuracy boost in disguise, and the only one Ill Lily provides. The +1 to Defense is meant to mitigate the 'on a successful defense' codicil if the user doesn't have access to Solar excellencies.

The defensive utility charm in Ill Lily is actually Lily Twists in the Wind.

Re Lily Rides Above the Waves: The problem is that a) the character your describing will likely have charms to make this reduntant, and a Celestial almost certainly will, if they don’t then this is just a “grab bag” type effect. Consider instead providing a bonus when the character exploits the environment which is more evocative than straight penalty negation. For instance, maybe she ignores penalties an attacks, and may double 9s on withering damage or 10s on decisive damage equal on her attack roll, perhaps even adding bonus dice to damage she stunts her attack to exploit the environment in an interesting way. Or maybe make it relative, rewarding her for fighting in a situation where she is not penalized but her enemy is (bonus to Initiative Break or reset when she attacks a character who suffers penalties from the environment or poison she does not) remember that ignoring penalties is not the same as not having them (DSD does not negate the effects of solar brawl charms that leverage onslaught)
                  There're actually very few charms in Core that negate environmental penalties: Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit, which negates them specifically for Survival, and There Is No Wind, which negates them for Archery. I'm not sure if Dragonblooded will have any more; I haven't read much more than the martial arts. I do really like the idea of giving a bonus to initiative reset, given how much Ill Lily likes small Decisive attacks. I'll have to go through and look at similar charms to see how to balance it - I don't know that I'd like something like that being a Simple charm, though. Have to think about it.

Anyway, I hope that helps, it’s your homebrew obviously and I do like it. Just my two cents. Good work.
                  It definitely helps, thanks.
                  Last edited by pfm1995; 04-27-2018, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pfm1995 View Post

I did intend for PCs, at least, to be able to cure the effect (I'd never expect someone to go through an entire campaign with that on their shoulders) and I should include some verbiage to that effect. What I want to avoid is it being fixed by something as simple as a single skill check or charm - something more akin in scale to crafting an artifact was what I had in mind. I also definitely don't want it to have a damage component - Ill Lily has no charms to boost decisive damage, and I plan on keeping it that way.

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean when you say "every time you use it successfully after the first time, unless you have some multi attack effect to use, you are wasting 2m". You shouldn't be using Welcoming Flower Posture more than once a round because it's not a defensive utility charm - it's an accuracy boost in disguise, and the only one Ill Lily provides. The +1 to Defense is meant to mitigate the 'on a successful defense' codicil if the user doesn't have access to Solar excellencies.

The defensive utility charm in Ill Lily is actually Lily Twists in the Wind.

There're actually very few charms in Core that negate environmental penalties: Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit, which negates them specifically for Survival, and There Is No Wind, which negates them for Archery. I'm not sure if Dragonblooded will have any more; I haven't read much more than the martial arts. I do really like the idea of giving a bonus to initiative reset, given how much Ill Lily likes small Decisive attacks. I'll have to go through and look at similar charms to see how to balance it - I don't know that I'd like something like that being a Simple charm, though. Have to think about it.

It definitely helps, thanks.
                    I do get what your saying in relation to your Defense de-buff I just still think the inclusion of the Defense bonus (which nessecitates an early activation) makes it more expensive than it needs to be, and I feel like MA should generally have at least one cool defensive utility effect. It’s really a question of taste. But basically your adding the excellency in to the Cost of the charm to eliminate the “on a successful defense” aspect, but as a result you are forcing a higher mote expenditure to use the charm than is tactically advisable and making the charm redundant or wasteful with solar effects such as this that provide free full excellencies (because your paying for +1 Defense when all you really want out of it is the De-buff). I also think the Penalty should relate to the threshold by which the attack missed— but again it’s a matter of taste.

Other thoughts:

1 - Definately include something in the description to suggest that, i think it’s entirely fair, btw, to say something like “another application of this charm or any suitably meaningful undertaking (sorcerous working, restorative artifact, or the blessing of a mighty spirit gained in exchange for a meaningful favor or at the end of an ordeal) can also repair the damage, but it is beyond the ability of a single charm to repair”

2- Terrestrial Dodge excellency does it for Dodge. I think there is a wood survival charm that does it. And no I imagined that would be a Reflexive or supplemental not simple.

3- cool I’m glad thanks!

Comment

Hey there folks! I had some free time now that finals are over and done with and wound up re-working a decent chunk of the style. Ill Lily Form and Touch That Awakens The Flower got changed pretty heavily while Lily Rides Above The Waves was changed in a very minor way.

Comment

Working...
                      X