[2E] What does a Reality Engine do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] What does a Reality Engine do?

I know there are reality engines throughout Creation - in Gethamane, for example - that do PLOT-LEVEL things. Is there ever a description of a reality engine as an N/A Artifact in any of the books? Aside from maintaining Creation against the Wyld, what do they actually DO?

Thanks in advance!

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

I think the Globe of Wondrous Stability was once described as being a kind of reality engine. I guess that the concept was meant to suggest a spectrum of effects, although I think they generally fell somewhere between preventing a place from being negatively impacted by contact with the Wyld and being able to independently perform Wyld-shaping actions of around the same power as a Solar.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      I think the Globe of Wondrous Stability was once described as being a kind of reality engine. I guess that the concept was meant to suggest a spectrum of effects, although I think they generally fell somewhere between preventing a place from being negatively impacted by contact with the Wyld and being able to independently perform Wyld-shaping actions of around the same power as a Solar.
      I re-read the Globe of Wondrous Stability from the 3E core book and it feels... underwhelming. I know I can just make them do whatever I darned well feel like, but I was hoping there would be something more to draw from. I'll keep looking, but if anyone has a book they can point me to, that'd be just swell!

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

Originally posted by Octopoid View Post

I re-read the Globe of Wondrous Stability from the 3E core book and it feels... underwhelming.
        I don't think that Third Edition would categorise them as being something that might be called a reality engine, if that even is a thing anymore. That being said, I don't think its Second Edition write-up made it much stronger; when I suggested points on the spectrum, I did mean for the first one to be on the lowest level of what such devices could do, and based that on the Globe.

​That being said, I do agree that it feels a bit weak for a level 5 Artifact, especially in this milieu where on several other counts that actually feels like it really lives up to the way that it was described, even for some things that aren't weapons.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I don't think that Third Edition would categorise them as being something that might be called a reality engine, if that even is a thing anymore. That being said, I don't think its Second Edition write-up made it much stronger; when I suggested points on the spectrum, I did mean for the first one to be on the lowest level of what such devices could do, and based that on the Globe.

​That being said, I do agree that it feels a bit weak for a level 5 Artifact, especially in this milieu where on several other counts that actually feels like it really lives up to the way that it was described, even for some things that aren't weapons.
          Does it have a second edition writeup? I didn't know that! If so, which book can I find it in? Is it Wonders? I bet it's Wonders.

Comment

Wonders of the Lost Age, pg 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequal View Post
              Wonders of the Lost Age, pg 70.
              Thank you!

Comment

I like to include them in 5 dot manses I design along with Rings of Being, as part of the Integrated Utility Artifact power.
                It's my way of saying fuck you to gods, demons, ghosts, and especially fae who'd like to break into my house(s).

Comment

There is also a sidebar on Reality Engines on page 26 of Wonders.

Comment

Wondrous Globes of Precious Stability and Reality Engines are different artifacts. Globes (Wonders p70) just stabilise things in a limited area, Reality Engines (Wonders p26) are your actual "re-write the landscape" artifacts. They're *supposed* to be used to supplement Wyld Shaping to create more stable land at the edge of Creation or patch up Wyld zones, but we all know how some Twilights feel about "supposed to be". They can also be used to soften patches of Creation into Wyld zones if you know what you're doing, or if you really, really don't.

The book doesn't say how long they take to accomplish such feats, but the implication is that it is longer than Wyld Shaping.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

That is exactly what I needed! That sidebar does what I need it to do. Thank you all for your feedback!

Comment

Working...
                      X