Speculating on the content of "Lunars: Fangs at the Gate"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on what a 5-dot artifact moonsilver bow could be like?
    What about... something dedicated to pursuit of quarry or attacking from the shadows, in which sticking the target with arrows causes them to become embedded and mark the target as prey in a manner that inhabits them and empowers the archer.

In particular, an effect of the embedded arrows virtually dragging the Hunter along, creating a mounting obsession with catching up.

The pinnacle effect could have the bow's wielder merge with it to create some kind of abstract, berserk beast, that relentlessly tears through everything that may lie in between it and the marked target.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      What about... something dedicated to pursuit of quarry or attacking from the shadows, in which sticking the target with arrows causes them to become embedded and mark the target as prey in a manner that inhabits them and empowers the archer.

In particular, an effect of the embedded arrows virtually dragging the Hunter along, creating a mounting obsession with catching up.

Funnily enough, back when I was toying with the idea of making my own Lunar homebrew (this was before the release schedule changed, when we were slated to get Exigents first), I wanted to make these exact things native Charms.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
      Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on what a 5-dot artifact moonsilver bow could be like?

Shoot snakes at them!...okay, that might be a bit silly, but arrows that are alive and pursue their target even after the attack seem like an intreasting idea to me. Or that embed themselves, and explode out again later.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• I’m working on a bow so terrifying that people run away when you take aim at them.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

Funnily enough, back when I was toying with the idea of making my own Lunar homebrew (this was before the release schedule changed, when we were slated to get Exigents first), I wanted to make these exact things native Charms.
            In the hands of an actual Lunar, it might wind up being something that would enhance a number of their own Charms...

​Which actually seems a bit lesser than a 5-dot Artifact, at least as I envision them.

​If it was a thing that I was actually writing up while having a new Lunar Charm set to hand, I'd probably be looking for ways to express the concept that distinguish themselves from what a Lunar can do.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I’m working on a bow so terrifying that people run away when you take aim at them.
              Interesting. Assuming you're doing it with moosilver, how are you presenting it? I would think that making it soulsteel would be much more direct (direct does not equate to better mind you) approach for a terrifying bow. Are you going with a 'terror that stalks the night' type of vibe with it?

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                Interesting. Assuming you're doing it with moosilver, how are you presenting it? I would think that making it soulsteel would be much more direct (direct does not equate to better mind you) approach for a terrifying bow. Are you going with a 'terror that stalks the night' type of vibe with it?
                It is not a stealthy bow. Your target has to see you aiming at them for you to get a reflexive Threaten action against them.

Other Evocations build upon this power, granting greater ability to inflict and exploit fear, as well as more ways to inflict it.

Perhaps not enough about it is particularly moonsilver, yet. Even the slated Evocation to detect and track opponents intimidated by you could be appropriate to soulsteel.

But there is a lot of potential for this bow to represent protection of allies and territory, exploiting the fear it creates to drive aggressors away from both. There’s also the potential for mercy, in that opponents who flee are opponents who live.

Comment

But there is a lot of potential for this bow to represent protection of allies and territory, exploiting the fear it creates to drive aggressors away from both. There’s also the potential for mercy, in that opponents who flee are opponents who live.
                  Sounds like a solid subset to tie to the Lunar charm set, given the mention of Lunars having domain/territory charms.

"Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination."

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves"

Comment

• I have two different Lunar Concepts I want to play that are arguably on the opposite sides of the spectrum of Lunarness, so I am hoping both will be playable.

One is basically a pastiche of Dio Brando from JoJo's, across all his different incarnations. A charismatic velociraptor guy who grew up in luxury, who uses his powers to turn other people into velociraptors as well, or does things like throw flies that turn into mini velociraptors. I don't imagine this being against people's will or being brutal or uncaring; I'd be pulling more of his personality from Diego Brando then Dio, who was generally more affable and just kind of a dickbag instead of a literal monster.

The other I'm imagining as some combination of Medusa and an Arrancar from Bleach. A Lunar whose Warform is so terrifying that it's literally sealed away inside her sword, and she only lets it out in deadly situations because she has a lot of trouble controlling it. In her normal times, she's a former child soldier of the South who runs an orphanage, taking care of kids that she rescues from the same armies she was a part of.

I really hope both of these things are valid, because I'm excited to play them.

Comment

• I’m actually getting interested in Howl’s titular Moving Castle, Yaga Baba’s chicken-legged cabin, and the Striders of Anthem.

Lunars who don’t sail still have a keen interest in having some kind of truck or mobile home for carrying all of their most precious followers and possessions around with them, allowing them to retreat from Wyld Hunts and remain harder to locate.

As a Lunar, I could direct my mobile home to travel to a specific rendezvous point as I fly off as a bird in another direction to go on an adventure completely unburdened by my extra stuff.

It might even be a mobile manse that needs to periodically return to its demesne to recharge. Perhaps there are muiltple prepared demesnses it can move between, like train stations.

Yes, I have given thought to an actual moonsilver train.

Comment

• I could see the moonsilver bow highlighting individuals with moonlight or marking them with tattoos and each attack increasing what the tattoos can do to the person. Or maybe the moonlight first causing them to illuminate then attract predators or lunar themed creatures to start hunting them lol. Kind of like Jake from Adventure Time calling snakes to Finn when he played the violin. A moonsilver train would be badass!

I kind of hope the book does focus more on the new lunars because the previous ones really are raid bosses. A player meets a baby eater or a man-goat rapist is probably going to have a very limited story there. I mean those kind of stories might not even make it to some player groups and definitely could prevent certain players from even picking up the game. I just hope there is a lot more infrastructure that players can work with in place. A lunar city, with a moonsilver train , that allows players to explore the setting sounds way better than bringing more info about NPCs you probably don't want to meet anyway/might be hard for a ST to roleplay in a way that isn't just roll initiative.

I would also kind of like a lunar base in the wyld where lunars work with fair folk and local tribes. An actual place that stands as a testament to Lunar in game mechanics to resist being forced to play in creation.

Comment

• Robert Vance seems to have plans for a “Thousand Swords Style” practiced by Sublime Danger of the Thousand Daiklave Wings.

No promise that we’ll get it in this book, or that it will actually let you fight with a bunch of floating swords like RWBY’s Penny Polendina, BlazBlue’s Murakumo Units, or League of Legends’ redesign of Irelia the Blade Dancer.

But here’s hoping!

Comment

Robert Vance seems to have plans for a “Thousand Swords Style” practiced by Sublime Danger of the Thousand Daiklave Wings.

No promise that we’ll get it in this book, or that it will actually let you fight with a bunch of floating swords like RWBY’s Penny Polendina, BlazBlue’s Murakumo Units, or League of Legends’ redesign of Irelia the Blade Dancer.

But here’s hoping!
                            It's not currently scheduled to appear in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              It's not currently scheduled to appear in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate.
                              Shucks

At least we’ll get Swaying Grass Style for one flavor of dance-fighting.

And this means one more Style that might instead use axes or hammers.

Comment

• Will we see a bunch of new Celestial Spells in Lunars?

And if so, will they be quite Lunar-y? With the DB book, the spells were all quite elemental, appropriately, but I'm not sure what Celestial Spells would particularly Lunar-esque.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                                X