Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculating on the content of "Lunars: Fangs at the Gate"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Will we see a bunch of new Celestial Spells in Lunars?

    And if so, will they be quite Lunar-y? With the DB book, the spells were all quite elemental, appropriately, but I'm not sure what Celestial Spells would particularly Lunar-esque.
    Definitely “Baleful Polymorph” and “Make My Monster Grow!”


    Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

    My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
      It's not currently scheduled to appear in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate.
      Is Sublime Danger on the possible QCs list, because if so that’d be a way to partly show it off.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

        Is Sublime Danger on the possible QCs list, because if so that’d be a way to partly show it off.
        Sublime Danger isn't currently slated to appear in Lunars.

        EDIT: Though an appearance in a Kickstarter stretch goal isn't out of the question.
        Last edited by Eric Minton; 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM.


        Developer for Exalted.

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

          Definitely “Baleful Polymorph” and “Make My Monster Grow!”
          Ah yes, turning people into frogs definitely seems like a Lunar-esque Celestial spell.


          "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

            Definitely “Baleful Polymorph” and “Make My Monster Grow!”
            Maybe we can name the latter "Stretch Goal"...

            Comment


            • Is "Fangs at the Gate" the official or possibly so subtitle for the book, or just something the OP came up with?
              Last edited by Morty; 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM.

              Comment


              • Morty it is the confirmed subtitle.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Morty View Post
                  Is "Fangs at the Gate" the official or possibly so subtitle for the book, or just something the OP came op with?
                  Lunars: Fangs at the Gate is the official name of the book.

                  We've also released the names of two other upcoming books, Across the Eight Directions and Exigents: Out of the Ashes.


                  Developer for Exalted

                  Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                  Robert Vance's Patreon

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Saipjas View Post
                    Morty it is the confirmed subtitle.
                    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

                    Lunars: Fangs at the Gate is the official name of the book.

                    We've also released the names of two other upcoming books, Across the Eight Directions and Exigents: Out of the Ashes.
                    Good to know, thanks. I like the title. Seems to capture 3E Lunars quite well.

                    Comment


                    • Speaking of things that capture the new book well, the opening fiction for the first Lunar book still works extremely well.


                      Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                      My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                      Comment


                      • I've been wondering how a spell for deleterious transformations might work in Exalted.

                        I don't really know much about the mechanics of Dungeons and Dragons in any form, so I can't comment on how they might resolve the subject, but I feel as though for Exalted it would dance uncomfortably on the razor's edge between "I win button" and "basically useless.

                        That might be resolved a bit by it requiring a Ritual cost, but that also seems as though it would mean that something is being lost in the translation even if the ritual doesn't need to be very long; that in a lot of fiction featuring such transformations, they have a tendency to be quick, punchy things.

                        Mind, it also brings up a bit of an awkward question surrounding the existence of those Solar Charms with the effect of modifying the effects of curses and forced transformations and things: namely, the Charms imply the existence of such powers, so is it valid to apply them against characters (including players) who lack defences against them? Or is it really only fair to use them against players who wouldn't take the full force of them?


                        I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                        Comment


                        • I mean there's not much in between. You either transform them into a harmless shape or strip them of permenant traits. Since i was rereading sidereals 1e. The most definitive shaping effect I've seen is pattern spider touch.

                          The attack first requires you to hit the target. Then roll to shape them though. Shaping defenses automatically trump them as did lunar tattoos.

                          Making a sorcerer shape a spell then having to touch them is a lot more fair than a single roll in 3e.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                            You either transform them into a harmless shape or strip them of permenant traits.
                            I'm talking more about the process of resolution more than the end result.

                            The end result being a whole other can of worms; one can devise the most fair and reasonable system for turning somebody into a duck imaginable, but the end result is still somebody being turned into a duck, and it leaves the question of where the narrative goes from there.

                            Although... considering that Lunars, in and of themselves, represent an entire class of Exalted that can turn into ducks voluntarily, the system has kind of been designed around such things being playable.

                            New idea: a Solar turned into a duck retains a reasonable amount of their consciousness and personality, and are capable of using Charms within reason; things like Brawl, Athletics and Awareness are in, Melee and Archery not so much, social Abilities are a bit dependent. Physically, the Solar is still probably weaker, and might have functionally lower health levels and soak (a few Resistance Charms might need to be adjudicated circumstantially). A major disadvantage is social (and more than just the resolution of the influence system); the Solar's capacity to communicate is probably severely impaired (unless they should have had Charms sufficient to cross virtually all barriers), and there's a matter of how seriously people can take them.

                            Thus, such a transformation remains deleterious, but not to the extent of taking the character out of the game entirely.

                            Originally posted by Epimetheus
                            Since i was rereading sidereals 1e.
                            This is a weird sentence.


                            I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                              I'm talking more about the process of resolution more than the end result.

                              The end result being a whole other can of worms; one can devise the most fair and reasonable system for turning somebody into a duck imaginable, but the end result is still somebody being turned into a duck, and it leaves the question of where the narrative goes from there.

                              Although... considering that Lunars, in and of themselves, represent an entire class of Exalted that can turn into ducks voluntarily, the system has kind of been designed around such things being playable.

                              New idea: a Solar turned into a duck retains a reasonable amount of their consciousness and personality, and are capable of using Charms within reason; things like Brawl, Athletics and Awareness are in, Melee and Archery not so much, social Abilities are a bit dependent. Physically, the Solar is still probably weaker, and might have functionally lower health levels and soak (a few Resistance Charms might need to be adjudicated circumstantially). A major disadvantage is social (and more than just the resolution of the influence system); the Solar's capacity to communicate is probably severely impaired (unless they should have had Charms sufficient to cross virtually all barriers), and there's a matter of how seriously people can take them.

                              Thus, such a transformation remains deleterious, but not to the extent of taking the character out of the game entirely.
                              Making the effects less binary does help. It could also help to make it gradual. Slowly losing their mind rather than instantly losing it.


                              This is a weird sentence.
                              I was supposed to use a comma instead of a period. Unless you're asking why I was reading it. In which case, because it was a better setting for sidereals. 2e just ripped 1e wholesale, word for word in a lot of cases, then added a bunch of text to diminish the sidereal's role in creation. I started with 2e but upon reading 1e afterwards, whoever wrote sidereals 2e didn't like them. It shows in the writing.

                              Comment


                              • "She turned me into a newt!"

                                *staring*

                                "*defensively* I got better."

                                A Celestial Circle Spell for turning other people into animals against their will doesn't have to be permanent. And transforming / shackling the target's mind is worth a spell all to itself, and so would not be included in Baleful Polymorph's effects.


                                Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                                My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X