Speculating on the content of "Lunars: Fangs at the Gate"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monghani View Post
    A supplement discussing more Lunar Dominions is completely possible.
    Yes, I quite agree. I said as such in close to those exact words.

My argument is that it should be avoided, not that it isn't possible.

I find invoking the history of Lunar presence in the setting to be a false equivalence, considering my basis of reasoning such as "Dominions get built up and then rapidly disposed of" (going to be a lot of scars in the setting from that) and the core book's portrayal of that Dominion in the form of three kinds of asymmetric warfare led by a Lunar's daughter.

I think there's a lot of room for Lunars to do things without contradicting the idea that some of their capabilities would not be the best course in the environment where they'd either end up as large, immobile targets or attractive objects of seizure for their enemies.

(Kind of wish that we could keep a bit of a line between the speculation thread and the spoiler thread. :s)

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Oh, my bad. Vance and Minton talk about the subject on discord from time to time so it dips out of needing speculation real quick. We'll be getting looks at Lunars with lots of viewpoints on how they operate and what they should do. The stretch goals for each splat are (so far) set to have an Heirs-like book with more content. Don't think there's much of a point to arguing against that.

Comment

Oh yeah, the Martial Arts a No Moon stole from a Raksha in Fangs At the Gate is Laughing Monster Style.
        So, is this just a thing a Lunar did in the fluff, or is it the book’s actual fourth printed Style? I thought it was supposed to be an animal Style.

Ah. I suppose that Laughing Monster might be the teased “sort of new” Style, rather than Seven Drunken Gods.

So, Swaying Grass, Laughing Monster, Centipede, and a mystery animal Style.

Does Laughing Monster use “the staff” as a weapon? For the pun.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Falcon Style was the other animal style. That was revealed in the Animal MA thread last month or so.

So we have Swaying Grass, Centipede, Laughing Monster, and Falcon Styles in Fangs At The Gate.

The reason it's "sort of new" is because it, and 3 other styles, were Raksha Shaping Styles that were basically MAs for Shaping Combat.
          Last edited by Monghani; 09-04-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Yes, I’m familiar with the Shaping Stances and Shaping Combat.

The Falcon “reveal” was shady.

Comment

Falcon Style was the other animal style. That was revealed in the Animal MA thread last month or so.

So we have Swaying Grass, Centipede, Laughing Monster, and Falcon Styles in Fangs At The Gate.

The reason it's "sort of new" is because it, and 3 other styles, were Raksha Shaping Styles that were basically MAs for Shaping Combat.

NVM

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• It was corroborated by Vance that same day.

Comment

• I hope that Falcon Style allows for unarmed punches.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.
                    In 2nd edition I played a Changing Moon with Graces who hunted the Fae on their own terms by turning their own narratives back on them. I appreciated that 3rd edition for the most part wasn't going to be down for charm share and that being "the wyld exalted" wasn't really the Lunar thing. So this is really encouraging if I want to play that character again.

Assorted homebrew goes here.
                    Please help the Ex3 wiki grow. Even if it's just posting existing homebrew there so there's less chance of losing it.

Comment

• "It's a high-flying lucha libre style that gets even better if you can grow wings." Is what was said.

Comment

"It's a high-flying lucha libre style that gets even better if you can grow wings." Is what was said.
                        But does that include the memetic “FALCONE PAWNCH!”?

Comment

• What I'm envisioning when I hear that description of Falcon Style...

Comment

• I think that Beast has a very good take on what I want Lunars to be. I hope there's a good bit of thematic overlap and inspiration. The necessary and unavoidable monster that stands outside ordinary civilization and embodies the alternatives is a powerful theme for me.

I'm picking up a little bit of a vibe of a pagan viewpoint (northern, rather than Mediterranean) of life being a series of tests and challenges and plateaus. I'm interested to see how that plays out as a contrast to Immaculate orthodoxy and the bureaucratic hierarchy of heaven.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                              I think that Beast has a very good take on what I want Lunars to be. I hope there's a good bit of thematic overlap and inspiration. The necessary and unavoidable monster that stands outside ordinary civilization and embodies the alternatives is a powerful theme for me.

I'm picking up a little bit of a vibe of a pagan viewpoint (northern, rather than Mediterranean) of life being a series of tests and challenges and plateaus. I'm interested to see how that plays out as a contrast to Immaculate orthodoxy and the bureaucratic hierarchy of heaven.
                              Uhhhh... you mean that the elevator pitch for Beast has a good take on what you want Lunars to be, right? Because what we actually got reads, to me, like a tract on how cool it is to be an abusive social predator (contra Vampire: the Requiem, which emphasizes how awful it is to be an abusive social predator).

Comment

• After a long break from Exalted, coming back I see we have DBs and are about to get Lunars! Cool. Have to say these Lunar charms are the best Lunar Charms I've ever seen, 3e looks to have broken the curse!

Comment

Working...
                                X