• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solar View Post
    coming back I see we have DBs
    I could have sworn...

Originally posted by Solar
    are about to get Lunars!
    I think they're still a ways off yet, so best to keep everything level.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I've pottered around a bit, but if I knew, I forgot it

After nearly 18 months of running Exalted, I realised I needed a big break or I'd just hate it. That plus a bunch of shitty real life things meant I was being pretty argumentative and difficult online, so a break was even more in order! But I'm writing a new campaign now and I'll be glad to get more stuff from new books to put in it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thesaurasaurus View Post

Uhhhh... you mean that the elevator pitch for Beast has a good take on what you want Lunars to be, right? Because what we actually got reads, to me, like a tract on how cool it is to be an abusive social predator (contra Vampire: the Requiem, which emphasizes how awful it is to be an abusive social predator).
        I don't suppose I'm seeing the same things the same way, and that's fine. For what it's worth, I get where you're coming from - Demon persistently rubs me the wrong way, but people seem to dig it.

It's not an exact parallel, for good or for bad - its two entirely different settings after all.. Anything in any book in either setting is building material for the stories we'd want to create with our friends and players - add some, use some, discard some.

What I like are things like... emphasis on creating a group, claiming and making use of territory, cooperating with other splats, and forming a mythology equal and opposite (or counter-balancing, perhaps) to more straightforward heroic legends. It's been a while, but I seem to recall a favorable impression of manipulating both the Beast and its environments together as a sort of whole.

Hope that clarifies.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post

I don't suppose I'm seeing the same things the same way, and that's fine. For what it's worth, I get where you're coming from - Demon persistently rubs me the wrong way, but people seem to dig it.

It's not an exact parallel, for good or for bad - its two entirely different settings after all.. Anything in any book in either setting is building material for the stories we'd want to create with our friends and players - add some, use some, discard some.

What I like are things like... emphasis on creating a group, claiming and making use of territory, cooperating with other splats, and forming a mythology equal and opposite (or counter-balancing, perhaps) to more straightforward heroic legends. It's been a while, but I seem to recall a favorable impression of manipulating both the Beast and its environments together as a sort of whole.

Hope that clarifies.
          Okay, yeah, that makes more sense. Most of the passages from Beast that stood out to me were...not that.

Comment

• The thing to do with Beast is to pull an Infernals 2e, ignore the crap and just have fun being a dragon who is also batman.

Comment

Okay, yeah, that makes more sense. Most of the passages from Beast that stood out to me were...not that.
              [Amicable Otherworldly Comparison Clarification Methodology]

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

(contra Vampire: the Requiem, which emphasizes how awful it is to be an abusive social predator)
                Except it doesn’t, at least not much. Maybe First Edition did but Second is SO much lighter on the angst than a lot of people seem to think it is.

Comment

• So, I'd like to talk a bit about Ox-Bodies.

Both the Lunar barbarian in the Core, and Eska, have the following health levels:
                  −0/−1x2/−2x4/−4x7/Incap.

So that's 2 extra -2 levels, and 6 extra -4s.

In 2nd ed, one option (the best one) for Lunar Ox-Bodies was 4x-2s. That was probably a bit too good.

I suspect that (at Stamina 3-4) Lunars therefore get a -2 and 3x -4.
                  Perhaps at Stamina 5 this becomes 4x -2.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    So, I'd like to talk a bit about Ox-Bodies.

Both the Lunar barbarian in the Core, and Eska, have the following health levels:
                    −0/−1x2/−2x4/−4x7/Incap.

So that's 2 extra -2 levels, and 6 extra -4s.

In 2nd ed, one option (the best one) for Lunar Ox-Bodies was 4x-2s. That was probably a bit too good.

I suspect that (at Stamina 3-4) Lunars therefore get a -2 and 3x -4.
                    Perhaps at Stamina 5 this becomes 4x -2.
                    Re: Ox-Bodies

Solars can purchase up to (Resistance) copies of the charm
                    DB can purchase up to (Resistance) copies as well
                    Presumably Lunars will be able to purchase (Stamina) copies since their attribute based

At sta 1-2
                    Solars get one -1 and one -2
                    DB get two -2

At Sta 3-4
                    solars get one -1 and two -2
                    DB get one -1 and one -2

At Sta 5
                    Solars get One -0, one -1, and one -2
                    DB get One -1 and two -2

So you suggest that lunars get:

Sta 1-2?
                    Sta 3-4: one -2 and three -4
                    Sta 5: four -2

The problem with this idea is that this indicates that lunars are always operating in the -2 or -4 penalty range when they've taken some damage. I strongly suspect that they'll get at least some access to -1 HL bonuses at some point. Your idea for Stamina 5, is objectively significantly worse than the solar version.

First, I suspect that the Lunar Ox-Body will be based on Resistance in some way. I dunno if they'll go so far as to make resistance be what the HLs are based on, but if they don't include it somewhere, resistance basically becomes a useless ability for lunars.

Second, the pattern of the other Ox-Bodies so far has been one where each level only upgrades one or two slots per level OR adds an additional slot. Upgrading three slots in one go seems like it would be a big jump.

My take would be:
                    Lunars Ox-Body Technique (up to [Stamina] copies)
                    Resistance 1-2 - one -2, two -4
                    Resistance 3-4: two -2, two -4
                    Resistance 5: one -1, two -2, one -4

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• As I said, the example Lunar in Adversaries of the Righteous has two extra -2s, and 6 extra -4s.
                      So I'm pretty sure she's got 2 ox-bodies each giving -2, -4, -4, -4.
                      (She has Resistance 3, incidentally.)

It's a good point about the level of changes though.
                      So maybe something like:
                      1-2: -2, -4, -4
                      3-4: -2, -4, -4, -4
                      5: -2, -2, -4, -4

As to Resistance... I can see where you're coming from, but:
                      Solars are Ability-based. Except actually their excellencies are Attribute+Ability. There's a few Ability charms that give you bonuses based on your Stamina, Perception or Strength (I don't think there's any that give a bonus based on Dex. And I think for a very good reason!).

Lunars are just Attribute-based. There's no Ability in there. So, sure, they might get a bonus based on Resistance, but I wouldn't be surprised if all Resistance does for Lunars is raise their dice pool on Resistance rolls, just like every other ability.
                      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• If Lunar ox-body does flip the stamina/resistance relation, they'll probably get an option for 0 resistance.

Comment

• No, Solars have attribute + ability dice caps but are, themselves ability based. Look to the Dragon Bloods. they're purely ability based and yet they also base things off of attributes in their charms including Ox-Body.

I feel that Lunars should be no different.

Edit:
                          Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          If Lunar ox-body does flip the stamina/resistance relation, they'll probably get an option for 0 resistance.
                          True! I hadn't considered that!
                          Last edited by armyofwhispers; 09-14-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• So maybe something like:

Resistance 0 - one -2, two -4
                            Resistance 1-2: two -2, two -4
                            Resistance 3-4: two -2, three -4
                            Resistance 5: one -1, two -2, two -4

I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if lunars get no access to -1 HL even if they get bonkers numbers of -4. That penalty is not a joke in combat. -4 is a brutal disadvantage.

Comment

• That's probably why they have a whole tree dedicated to going berserk. Things become pretty bonkers if that -4 penalty turns into a +4 bonus and you have a fuckton of health levels sitting on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monghani View Post
                                That's probably why they have a whole tree dedicated to going berserk. Things become pretty bonkers if that -4 penalty turns into a +4 bonus and you have a fuckton of health levels sitting on it.
                                I really hope this isn't the case, tbh. Making the assumption that all lunars who use something as fundamental as Ox-Body are berserk ragers is not great charm design.

Comment

Working...
                                X