An idea for "Powered Armor" in Third Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for "Powered Armor" in Third Edition

As a point of comparison, this is what Eric has to say about Gunshoza armor:

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    The current plan is that it'll be artifact armor with normal traits and Evocations. It's special because mortals can wear it and access its Evocations at great cost, but it serves as normal artifact armor for Exalted wearers.

(This is, of course, subject to change; I'm only just starting to write the Heirs to the Shogunate outline.)
    Okay. So what does First Age Artifice, human-scale armor look like when it's made for the Exalted?

It's powered armor, so it has its own Strength rating, though once you're strong enough yourself, you can actually begin to contribute something. It would also offer a Mobility bonus to movement actions.

But it's armor, primarily, so it protects you from harm -- not as much as a warstrider, but still far more so than artifact armor usually does.

Whenever you suffer levels of decisive damage, only half of those (rounded down) are applied directly to you. The rest (rounded up) are inflicted upon the armor, which has its own health levels. Depending on which has more health levels, it's possible to have the armor so badly damaged that your enemy effective strips it off of you, though it's also possible to die and leave a damaged-but-functional suit of priceless armor for your killer.

Repairing the health levels of damage would work as so for a warstrider, but less expensive and demanding in some ways because of the vastly reduced scale.

Yes, in effect, I'm suggesting a form of powered armor which is a miniature warstrider.

I'm thinking such armors could exist along the entire scale from 3 to N/A, depending on how batshit crazy you make the Evocations.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

First Age Artefact armour, specifically designed for the Exalted, would probably be called "Celestial Battle Armour." Becuase of the fact that there's no context for FAA weapons or armour (Warstriders notwithstanding) all we can do is wildly speculate. Heavy Artefact armour has 11 Soak and 10 Hardness, while Warstriders typically have 15 Soak and 10 Hardness. Do we really need more number fiddling?

As for the rest of what you wrote, I also thought about the "ministrider" angle, which is the only context we have for FAA designed for combat, even thinking that it all might be powered by a standard hearthstone, but I never was too keen on the "independent health level" bit.

Again, without any context, there's not much we can do but spitball, but I'll say this as a final thought. A three dot FAA would only need a Terrestrial working to create, which a DB can achieve almost trivially. In order to keep with the "rare, priceless, ad barely understood angle" I'd posit that Gunzosha armour would need to be 5-dots, which necessitates a Celestial Work, several Terrestrial Workings, and the actual ability to craft a 5 dot artefact, which is no easy task as a DB, as the DB Craft calculation thread can attest to.

Until then, your guess is as good as anyone elses.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's going to be artifact heavy armor with a different flavoring of evocations.

I'd expect the same of any other bit of powered armor.

It's not better. It's different.

Comment

I like the idea of armor that has its own health levels and takes half your injuries for you.

A miniature warstrider seems like a perfectly acceptable idea for First Age Artifice armor.

Comment

It'd certainly justify spending XP on a suit of armour for yourself, and the fact that its needs periodic repairs, but I just don't feel it to be too interesting. Not that I can come up with anything better.

Comment

I dunno if I'm remembering this correctly, but to my mind the Devs have said that FAA stuff is not to be simply mechanically better than non-FAA stuff, but that would allow access to free powers and some baseline Evocations.

So a FAA Heavy armor would be mechanically the same as an Artifact Armor, but could let you say, fly at will and come with some free unlocked mobility Evocations.

Or maybe it could make you immune the elements and sustain your bodily functions indefinitely without sleep.

Or any other shit that if reproduced in mass would distort the setting.

But not straight up better like what you mentioned. Could be that I'm mistaken though.

Comment

Originally posted by VioletDreamer View Post
              I'm pretty sure it's going to be artifact heavy armor with a different flavoring of evocations.

I'd expect the same of any other bit of powered armor.

It's not better. It's different.
              If different doesn’t mean better for First Age Artifice armor, then there’s no point in making it.

Gunshoza armor is better in that mortals can use it.

Celestial Battle Armor intended for Exalted should offer something that regular artifact armor doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                If different doesn’t mean better for First Age Artifice armor, then there’s no point in making it.

Gunshoza armor is better in that mortals can use it.

Celestial Battle Armor intended for Exalted should offer something that regular artifact armor doesn’t.
                This has been discussed by Devs, don't remember if the current or previous ones, but that was not their approach. FAA is not to be a vertical widget on the power scale, but an horizontal broadening of what can be achieved with an Artifact.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

This has been discussed by Devs, don't remember if the current or previous ones, but that was not their approach. FAA is not to be a vertical widget on the power scale, but an horizontal broadening of what can be achieved with an Artifact.
                  Do you feel my idea is inappropriate?

Probably, they’re talking about things like the power of individual Evocations. Like giving a five-dot sword something stronger than Volcano Cutter’s pinnacle.

Comment

Do you feel my idea is inappropriate?

Probably, they’re talking about things like the power of individual Evocations. Like giving a five-dot sword something stronger than Volcano Cutter’s pinnacle.
                    Not inherently, no. After all there are many other effects that grant health levels.

Though I would make the additional health levels a function of a specific suit of FAA Armor. Not a function of all FAA Armor.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                      I would make the additional health levels a function of a specific suit of FAA Armor. Not a function of all FAA Armor.
                      Of course it’s not universal to all FFA armor. It clearly isn’t the plan for Gunshoza armor, and the idea really won’t work for armor that isn’t full-body covering.

Like, the idea might still work with light armor, because that gets you something like Terry McGinnis’ armor in Batman Beyond.

But there are other possibilities for FFA armor or clothing besides acting like a miniature mecha.

Comment

Of course it’s not universal to all FFA armor. It clearly isn’t the plan for Gunshoza armor, and the idea really won’t work for armor that isn’t full-body covering.

Like, the idea might still work with light armor, because that gets you something like Terry McGinnis’ armor in Batman Beyond.

But there are other possibilities for FFA armor or clothing besides acting like a miniature mecha.
                        I'm just making clear that I don't believe that Celestial Battle Armor is a baseline denomination, but one of many interpretations of Powerarmor for Exalted users.

Comment

It's powered armor, so it has its own Strength rating, though once you're strong enough yourself, you can actually begin to contribute something. It would also offer a Mobility bonus to movement actions.

But it's armor, primarily, so it protects you from harm -- not as much as a warstrider, but still far more so than artifact armor usually does.

Whenever you suffer levels of decisive damage, only half of those (rounded down) are applied directly to you. The rest (rounded up) are inflicted upon the armor, which has its own health levels. Depending on which has more health levels, it's possible to have the armor so badly damaged that your enemy effective strips it off of you, though it's also possible to die and leave a damaged-but-functional suit of priceless armor for your killer.

I'm thinking such armors could exist along the entire scale from 3 to N/A, depending on how batshit crazy you make the Evocations.

Free Strength dots plus free dice on movement actions plus the equivalent of free Ox-Body purchases is a hell of a lot more upfront power than most 3 or 4-dots give you, though.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                          Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

isnt this edition trying to get away from this kind of thing. Couldnt these effects be done more through evocatons?

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                              Free Strength dots plus free dice on movement actions plus the equivalent of free Ox-Body purchases is a hell of a lot more upfront power than most 3 or 4-dots give you, though.
                              @Nihilum rightly points out that Three-Dots is too low, as Dragon-Blooded shouldn't be able to construct armor like this. The lowest rating should be Four-Dots, which requires Celestial workings.

It's possible that Celestial Battle Armor should only be Five-Dot and NA, as per warstriders, with the balance being that the armor can be used anywhere, doesn't suffer the same stealth penalties, and perhaps might be able to go longer without maintenance.

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                              isnt this edition trying to get away from this kind of thing. Couldnt these effects be done more through evocatons?
                              Do Warstriders need Evocations for any of their basic advantages?

Comment

Working...
                              X