No announcement yet.

An idea for "Powered Armor" in Third Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warstrider's basic advantages are all consequences of being thirty feet tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Warstrider's basic advantages are all consequences of being thirty feet tall.
      Things larger than warstriders don't get devastating actions.

Things smaller than warstriders can have lower Strength ratings and fewer health levels.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

First Age Artifacts are pretty much just there to serve as a catch for stuff that would be disruptive to the setting.

Ox-body as a free first evocation works just fine, lots of artifacts offer a free first evocation. That said you'll want to gate your muscle actuators or whatever. Strength bonus and movement bonus with first charm purchased, or with a rocketed hearth stone might work. From there wrist mounted rocket launchers, shoulder miniguns, and jetpacks as evocations to your hearts content.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
          First Age Artifacts are pretty much just there to serve as a catch for stuff that would be disruptive to the setting.

Ox-body as a free first evocation works just fine, lots of artifacts offer a free first evocation. That said you'll want to gate your muscle actuators or whatever. Strength bonus and movement bonus with first charm purchased, or with a rocketed hearth stone might work. From there wrist mounted rocket launchers, shoulder miniguns, and jetpacks as evocations to your hearts content.
          Y’all probably have a point.

First Age Artifice is for... lateral? Abilities. Gunshoza armor is more of a logistical miracle in that mortals can use it without making it any more powerful for Exalted.

The strength and mobility advantages can be Evocations.

Comment

To me, power armor should be “powered” - not so much by your own magic, but by something in the armor. As such, it should have a power source - like a major Hearthstone. And in my mind, if the armor is powered by the power source, it should automatically have all of the (assuredly flashy) evocations unlocked. I’m thinking strength, speed, flight, energy weapons, maybe an energy sword, etc. - all tuned to whatever the point of the armor has been designed to be.

Host of The Deliberative Podcast
            Owner/Admin of DeepWyld.com
            Original Creator of the complete nWoD conversion of Fantasy Grounds 2

Comment

As I understand it, the current plan for gunzosha armor (and other "powered armor" artifacts) is to use the same paradigm as the combat modules on the Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation. Evocations will represent mastering specific armor components — a sense-enhancing visor, exomuscular amplifiers, or the like. This is meant to provide the flavor of powered armor while avoiding intractable game-balance issues.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Definitely, an Ironman Armor needs an Arc Reactor of some variety, but that doesn't necessitate that Tony Stark has adapted to the needs of his suit enough to properly employ its musculature. Heck, we had a long sequence where he learns the Evocations for flying with it before he ever takes it out into combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                  As I understand it, the current plan for gunzosha armor (and other "powered armor" artifacts) is to use the same paradigm as the combat modules on the Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation. Evocations will represent mastering specific armor components — a sense-enhancing visor, exomuscular amplifiers, or the like. This is meant to provide the flavor of powered armor while avoiding intractable game-balance issues.
                  That seems like a very interesting way of handling it. Will it have any passive bonuses that you get for simply attuning to it? Will you need a Hearthstone to power it?

Is there any chance that Exalt specific power armour, something like Celestial Battle Armour would exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Nilihum View Post

That seems like a very interesting way of handling it. Will it have any passive bonuses that you get for simply attuning to it?
                    Yeah, just like all artifacts.

Will you need a Hearthstone to power it?
                    The original gunzosha armor in First Edition didn't need 'em, and I don't think it'd make sense to add that in.

Is there any chance that Exalt specific power armour, something like Celestial Battle Armour would exist?
                    It's not impossible!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      Yeah, just like all artifacts.
                      I was thinking more in lines with the added strength that Warstriders grant or the various flight based passives you get when attuned to Ascendant Nova Phoenix as opposed to "+1 Evocation on attunement" or "+1 Resolve"

Comment

Originally posted by Nilihum View Post

I was thinking more in lines with the added strength that Warstriders grant or the various flight based passives you get when attuned to Ascendant Nova Phoenix as opposed to "+1 Evocation on attunement" or "+1 Resolve"
                        Not as extensive as the bonuses warstriders pack.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

After my ST explained Gunzosha armor to me, I honestly just thought that it was heavy artifact armor suit a mortal could wield. The working that go into its construction are what allow a mortal to utilize it even at the great cost they pay to use it. The evocations and stuff that Vance and Minton mentioned make perfect sense and a great way to offer the variety of customization without the potential hideous power balance issues of it. Thinking of it from my point of view how amazing would a exo armor suit that mortals can use be? Something that gives a mortal a chance to fight at exalt level skill is pretty amazing as is.

I also wanted to comment on the idea of the Celestial Battle Armor idea. I think it could be fun to design a suit for a char to run around in. I admit though I think I would struggle with how to make it fill the rather small niche between artifact 5 armor and a warstrider.

Any case thanks for a interesting thread read so far

Comment

Working...
                          X