No announcement yet.

Synergys of The Black Veiled Courtesan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergys of The Black Veiled Courtesan?

With the release of White Veil, new synergies exist for Martial Arts characters. For Solaroids, what are the new synergies in Black Claw, Dreaming Pearl Courtesan, White Veil, and social charms?

Craft rewrite.
    Twitter Handle: at maudova

I thoguht we all agreed not to use the term "Solaroid" anymore

Comment

I wasn’t aware this was an agreed upon thing. Do you have a thought about the subject of synergies?

Craft rewrite.
      Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

Synergy wise (I'm basing this off a Solar Exalted, as I haven't had time to digest the DB charmset), the most obvious is Birdsong Over Blades + Flexing the Emerald Claw, for a poison Decisive effect that is penalized extremely harshly (Manipulation 5 = -5 dice on your resistance roll against poison) that doesn't reset you to base initiative, but also doesn't do any other damage.

Its low Essence, cheap and cheerful, more for the -2 to all rolls debilitation than the 2i/turn damage, methinks though.

However, The Solar Charmset is quite weak in terms of generating poison effects, Snake style has one deep in the style, but that one requires dealing damage unfortunately.

Blithe Unruffled Plumage is pretty sweet and provides the soak that Black Claw lacked (yay, no more dipping into Gazellecarp!), presumably the Soak/Hardness stacks with the Silken Armor artifact? (since it says adds/gains? Hmmm, something to ask the Devs)

Blinded by laughter is pretty nasty all by itself. I wonder how well it works along with Heart Ripping Claw for the ultimate in Social Combat -> Combat Combat alpha strike?

I think perhaps what pulls it together is all the Guile effects in White Veil and the fact that you can use it to No-sell attacks with Doe Eyes Defence from Black Claw. Maybe this is the true synergy of the two styles?

Still searching for more synergies, perhaps what I should be looking for is charms in other sets that impose gnarly conditions but have crap damage to use with Birdsong over Blades...?

Edit: Hmm, Open Plam Carress at Mastery probably pips Blinded by Laughter for the Ambush game. Disappointing.

Comment

If you were desperate, I suppose you could go scrounging around in the Venemous mutation for bennies, but the rules on it are somewhat restrictive. And it’s potency is the same as that of Flexing the Emerald Claw.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
            I thoguht we all agreed not to use the term "Solaroid" anymore
            No one came up with anything better.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              No one came up with anything better.
              Why do they need to? Can't people just say, "Solars and Abyssals?"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                People want to say or write one word rather than three whenever possible, and also the category includes Infernals, who should likewise be accessing Mastery level effects and casting Solar Sorcery.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  Because that did include I fernals too

I thoyght Solar or Royal Tier Exalts was good

Comment

People want to say or write one word rather than three whenever possible…
                    Given the posts I've seen on this board, I'm inclined to disagree.

and also the category includes Infernals, who should likewise be accessing Mastery level effects and casting Solar Sorcery.
                    So aside from having Mastery*, which Sidereals can also access, what is it that Solars, Abyssals, and Green Sun Princes have in common? Not sorcery (as Abyssals don't have access to the Adamant Circle), not Evocations (as Abyssals are only Resonant with soulsteel), and not Charm design (with Abyssals and Green Sun Princes branching off into Deathlord/shintai directions respectively). It sure isn't in how they're Chosen. Sure, you could say they're all monstrously powerful, but the same is true of Exalted in general.

Simply put, "Solaroid" is not a good term because the thing it's trying to convey - that you can just lump them all together under the same umbrella - is not a good idea.

Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-29-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Crippling Pressure Point Strike can really, really screw over foes if you don't reset your initiative (or drop by gambit difficulty + 1). Either blind or knock prone or paralyze one of their arms.

Trouble is it's halfway up Snake Style.

Edit: I'm looking in the other Martial Arts for debilitating effects because those are the only things that are combo-ok (a ha) with White Veil.
                      Last edited by prototype00; 04-29-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

The thing is Crippling Pressure Point Strike is specifically a gambit creating Charm, and Birdsong Over Blades calls for successfully landing a Decisive Attack and those two things are not compatible.

It has been clarified by the Devs that if a Charm calls for a Decisive Attack, that is a regular Decisive Attack, not Gambits, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                          The thing is Crippling Pressure Point Strike is specifically a gambit creating Charm, and Birdsong Over Blades calls for successfully landing a Decisive Attack and those two things are not compatible.

It has been clarified by the Devs that if a Charm calls for a Decisive Attack, that is a regular Decisive Attack, not Gambits, unless specifically stated otherwise.
                          Oh? I'd read differently previously. Where was this? (Not gainsaying you, just would like to see the quote)

prototype00

Comment

Page 50 of the Ask the Devs thread:

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            Gambits don't benefit from anything that boosts decisive damage—the Initiative roll isn't the same thing as a damage roll. In addition, Charms that let you make decisive attacks part of their activation, like Trance of Unhesitating Speed or Solar Counterattack, mean damaging attacks, not gambits, unless specified otherwise.
                            Thanks to Lanaya for the compilation document at http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ng-compilation

Comment

White Veil Style is giving me the idea of what is definitely to be my next character when I have the chance.

I want a Combat Stealth + Disguise Larceny Monster. With everyone he incapacitates he disappears and comes back as another person. Even more terrifying with Killing Shroud Technique. You can come back as the person you just killed, to keep killing their friends. And nobody will be none the wiser! Just too cool. It is not too synergistic with KST, KST is just needed to substitute specific people. But with Mind Shroud Meditation and Flashing Ruse Prana, you can come back as different generic people to spread the murder on. You can a kill a whole crowd, one by one, without anyone realizing.

Like a terrifying breeze that murders anyone it touches. Imagine walking into a place where this has taken place. Scary shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X