Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Deliberative - A New Weekly Exalted Podcast!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great episode as always.

Freelance writer for Exalted Third Edition.

Comment

Not done yet. But.

RULES LIGHT EXALTED?!?
      DO WANT! RATHER NOW THAN LATER!

Seriously, I have a big crowd of folks who have eyed Exalted and been scared away by the heftiness of the rules. Please, let's make this a reality.

Comment

Episode 15 is live! In this one, we discuss whether or not you should teach new players about the ancient history of the Exalted universe, and how you might and might not want to use such history in your games. We also attempt to answer a listener’s question about the differences in Exalt power levels.

Story Seed of the Week: A Wild Accord.

Host of The Deliberative Podcast
        Owner/Admin of DeepWyld.com
        Original Creator of the complete nWoD conversion of Fantasy Grounds 2

Comment

Re: the Dragon-Blooded as gods thing, that is not the mainline Immaculate belief which holds that they're the most spiritually enlightened of humans and thus the ones most well suited to serving as intercessors with gods. The Cult background is in fact illegal and heretical in the Realm and Lookshy both

In Prasad however their divergent variant of the faith has them placed firmly as elemental gods and receiving worship. I am all kinds of excited to be hearing more about Prasad in the Heirs to the Shogunate.

Comment

Originally posted by PneumaPilot View Post
            Episode 15 is live! In this one, we discuss whether or not you should teach new players about the ancient history of the Exalted universe, and how you might and might not want to use such history in your games. We also attempt to answer a listener’s question about the differences in Exalt power levels.

Story Seed of the Week: A Wild Accord.
            Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I try to keep things in new Chronicles to threes. Three factions nearby. Three notable NPCs (within or outside of those factions). Three parts of the local geography (be they regions or districts of town). And so on.

That way there's no strict us-vs-them tribalism before the story can discover it. There's also no reason to drop the Encyclopaedia Exaeltica on them just yet.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I try to keep things in new Chronicles to threes. Three factions nearby. Three notable NPCs (within or outside of those factions). Three parts of the local geography (be they regions or districts of town). And so on.

That way there's no strict us-vs-them tribalism before the story can discover it. There's also no reason to drop the Encyclopaedia Exaeltica on them just yet.
              Oooooh, I like this idea A LOT! I am going to utilize this in my next session, since we basically had to start over. Stupid powerful Lunars... LOL!

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
              Follow us on Twitter!
              Follow us on Facebook!
              Follow us on the Web!
              Like what we do? Support us on Patreon!

Comment

Yeah, generally gods are understood to be things that probably aren't doing their jobs if you can see them.

Dragonblooded are what mortals should go fetch if they see any other magical things.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post

Oooooh, I like this idea A LOT! I am going to utilize this in my next session, since we basically had to start over. Stupid powerful Lunars... LOL!
                  I've been trying to re-figure my own guidelines. After a long gaming career of building enormous messes that land like confusion-bombs.

Comment

Thinking on it, it would probably be worth writing up a short summary of “This is what your character knows about the setting” for each character at the beginning of the game. It wouldn’t need to be long, just a paragraph or set of bullet points about the local area. It’s probably more useful to new players than trying to cram the entire cosmology down their throats all at once and, if they’re experienced players, that can help them play more accurately so they don’t have their dude from podunk nowhere rattle off the history of the Primordial War without thinking about it.

Comment

• I feel like the lore background needs to be taken into account somewhere too.

Alternately, if a player knows the setting, get them to take a bit of lore so they have an excuse to know some of the stuff in-character.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        I feel like the lore background needs to be taken into account somewhere too.

Alternately, if a player knows the setting, get them to take a bit of lore so they have an excuse to know some of the stuff in-character.
                        Certainly. You should take into account the entirety of a character’s background when you write something like what I was suggesting. Lore rating would factor in heavily, but so could lots of other things.

Comment

• Oh, yes. This is also an area where past life memories can be useful. If you want to give someone a brief glimpse of the deep past, to help with context and create a feel of epic scope to the game, give them a brief dream of something their past life experienced.

You can also have the memories bleed over if a character wants to learn something that would fit their past life well and they don’t really have any other means of knowing it. They should still spend the xp obviously, but it can be kinda fun (or creepy) to just wake up one morning and realize you know kung fu. Or suddenly remember a thousand years of training when you first grasp a sword.

Comment

• Lukkychukky re: power levels, there are some brief guidelines in the Antagonists section when it comes to dicepools and competency, but one thing that will greatly help in judging a combat's difficulty will be some basic dice math. With a target number of 7 and double 10's, a dicepool has an average success rate of about 50%, with a slight swinginess upward. Depending on how into probabilities and statistics you are into we can pull in charts and stuff, but even without that you can know roughly how easily someone can hit or be hit based off that number. As pools get higher, most of the dice tricks add about another 5 or 10 percent on top of that.

If you feel like playing with it, https://anydice.com/program/1046 plots the basic probability of 10d10 in Exalted. If you select "At Least" you'll see percentage chance of success for a given value.
                            So you'd see that 75% of the time, 10d10 will get you 4 or more successes.

So you can kinda SWAG some stuff based on that.

PneumaPilot Not to be the loathsome forum canon police, but in all editions Creation has always firmly not been the body of Gaia. Her and Cytherea did some sort of primordial crazyness and created it, and she has some strong ties to it given that the Elemental Dragons are her children, but it isn't a similar situation to Malfeas or Autocthonia.

Really digging the show guys, and I should have a question recorded for you soon! And it won't be forum nitpickyness, or moderately advanced math based!
                            Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 08-10-2018, 02:21 AM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Actually, while I'm not into statistics really, maybe I should delve a bit further into some of those charts. They're just kind of hard to understand, If I were to be honest. Thank you for the suggestions!

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
                              Follow us on Twitter!
                              Follow us on Facebook!
                              Follow us on the Web!
                              Like what we do? Support us on Patreon!

Comment

• It might be an interesting 'cast to talk through Antagonist creation and see if you can find a minimal-math way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X