GM matchmaking initiative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, let's do this!

Let's do it in two-week sprints - decide on a theme for the two-week period, and write one (1) character each to that theme, detailed however much the participant wishes to (just numbers; numbers and intimacies; numbers, intimacies and short background; numbers, intimacies and a 20-chapter fanfic about the character... whatever floats your goat).

"Just one?!!", I hear you ask. Well, burnout is a concern, so I'd rather keep submissions at a reasonable level in the interest of long-term sustainability.

Themes may be decided by voting, a round robin method between active participants, or we could turn this into a contest and whoever wins gets to decide the next sprint's theme. But I'm personally opposed to that, because a/ it feels like shit to turn in your best work and be judged unworthy, b/ a round robin method ensures that everybody has ample time to think about their theme and voting directly on the theme is more relevant than voting on the person picking the theme, and c/ it unduly favors fluff writing (anybody can see the merit of background text, but decent workhorse mechanics are often not terribly inspiring to read).

So anybody who wishes to participate, please propose a theme until the end of this week. Mine is going to be boring but functional: "reasonably competent essence 2 combatant", because I think this is what most games could always use a few of.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
    Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Theme: "sorcerer who thinks demonic labor is their rightful asset by virtue of the surrender oaths"

The Lunar Castebooks fan project

Comment

Theme "Spymaster who brokers information in the service of a higher, but not widely known power (celestial god, second circle demon or an ancient ancestor ghost etc). Essence 2-3"

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
          Okay, let's do this!

Let's do it in two-week sprints - decide on a theme for the two-week period, and write one (1) character each to that theme, detailed however much the participant wishes to (just numbers; numbers and intimacies; numbers, intimacies and short background; numbers, intimacies and a 20-chapter fanfic about the character... whatever floats your goat).

"Just one?!!", I hear you ask. Well, burnout is a concern, so I'd rather keep submissions at a reasonable level in the interest of long-term sustainability.

Themes may be decided by voting, a round robin method between active participants, or we could turn this into a contest and whoever wins gets to decide the next sprint's theme. But I'm personally opposed to that, because a/ it feels like shit to turn in your best work and be judged unworthy, b/ a round robin method ensures that everybody has ample time to think about their theme and voting directly on the theme is more relevant than voting on the person picking the theme, and c/ it unduly favors fluff writing (anybody can see the merit of background text, but decent workhorse mechanics are often not terribly inspiring to read).

So anybody who wishes to participate, please propose a theme until the end of this week. Mine is going to be boring but functional: "reasonably competent essence 2 combatant", because I think this is what most games could always use a few of.

I'm all for it. Should we spin this off into a separate thread so it will get more exposure and keep the purpose of this one intact? Also, do we want to try and collect these somewhere?

Comment

I'll go for another practical inclusion with "Warlord or general". Definitely think we need a new thread though.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Well, we need to vote on the theme anyway, so the new thread may as well start with a poll. But I'd wait until the end of the week so everybody has a fair chance to put up their suggestions.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)

Comment

Are we doing the vote?

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                  Are we doing the vote?

Uuuh... we should, I'm just kinda stuck on how to do it. A new thread for every two-week period seems wasteful, so we should probably keep submissions in a single thread and use an external polling site for voting. I'm also thinking about a system of weighing votes (people who actually participate should have better odds at influencing what they're gonna write than regular forum users, because I'd rather have people write something they're enthusiastic about), but I'm also thinking this may be more trouble than it's worth and isn't it only fair that people who plan on using the results get an equal say in what those results would be?

(Also Deadfire just came out and I'm ashamed to say that it is right now eating up a bigger slice of my free time than it probably should.)

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

Uuuh... we should, I'm just kinda stuck on how to do it. A new thread for every two-week period seems wasteful, so we should probably keep submissions in a single thread and use an external polling site for voting. I'm also thinking about a system of weighing votes (people who actually participate should have better odds at influencing what they're gonna write than regular forum users, because I'd rather have people write something they're enthusiastic about), but I'm also thinking this may be more trouble than it's worth and isn't it only fair that people who plan on using the results get an equal say in what those results would be?

(Also Deadfire just came out and I'm ashamed to say that it is right now eating up a bigger slice of my free time than it probably should.)
                    Maybe we should just go ahead and start with your Essence 2 combatant idea and see how that goes, and then follow up with a vote after the first round?

Comment

I say we just do a new vote thread every couple weeks with links to a master thread where people actually post the NPCs. Keep all the statblocks in one place, y'know? Maybe get that central thread stickied?

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                      -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                        I say we just do a new vote thread every couple weeks with links to a master thread where people actually post the NPCs. Keep all the statblocks in one place, y'know? Maybe get that central thread stickied?
                        Great idea

Comment

Nup. 10char

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

It seems like you can´t. Maybe we shall use a external polling site?

Comment

Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
                              It seems like you can´t. Maybe we shall use a external polling site?

Know any good ones?

Comment

Working...
                              X