X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminiumtrioxid
    started a topic GM matchmaking initiative

GM matchmaking initiative

In my decade-spanning experience as a GM, the most invaluable resource I've ever had access to was always someone who listens to my ramblings. Feedback is nice, but nonessential (I'll end up doing whatever I wanted to do anyway) - however, the simple act of laying out my thoughts and ideas in a format that was meant to be digested by another has always helped me see more clearly.

I think it is a travesty that more people do not have access to the same.

Moreover, a lot of people are starting threads asking for GMing advice, be it general or specific; while I think forums are not necessarily a bad place to have these discussions, the best way to pick up these skills is by osmosis. Asking a specific question, receiving a specific answer, and building up a picture of how things are meant to be done over time on your own, by inference, as opposed to asking for general guidelines and best practices in search of a silver bullet that is applicable to every situation. It's difficult to have give really nuanced advice to questions like that on a public forum where thread drift is an issue, and the original poster may or may not even be interested in those specifics (or, conversely, would like clarification on some points, but doesn't want to appear demanding or give off an impression of singling out someone from 10-20 responses). More personal conversations might be a better way to go about helping GMs looking for advice.

(Not to mention the cases where someone knows that their players are also reading the forums, and does not want to give away spoilers by accident.)

So, for these cases, I would like to start this GM matchmaking thread - where people willing to give advice to other GMs (or just listen to them formulate their ideas and maybe provide feedback) can post that they are available for a given timeframe, and others seeking advice could then PM them with specific issues, which they can then discuss in a more direct way than an open forum thread would allow for.

So, I'll start: you can hit me up with any questions, story and NPC seeds you'd like to show someone and hear their opinion, specific homebrew you'd like to see evaluated, et cetera. Let's say I'm available until the end of May (because exam period will kick into high gear after).

• Clophiroth
    replied
    Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

Know any good ones?

I´ve seen this one used on other forums

https://www.strawpoll.me/

Leave a comment:

• Simon Darkstep
    replied
    I've had atrocious attendance at the forum here lately, but I'd love to participate as I'm able.

As my participation fee, let me add something that I don't think has been posted here yet.

Another way to build your scenario is through your NPCs. There are lots of ways to create an interesting character, but the way I've been doing it lately is by giving each a signature and a reversal.

The signature is something catchy about that character, and it's exactly what that character should be doing or talking about as soon as possible after their introduction. It's the hook by which your players will remember them, especially in those delicate beginnings.

The reversal is a revelation or twist, that shows new light on the character. It happens later on in the story, but I like to have at least one of them in the bag and ready to go, as soon as I think one up.

The "show, don't tell" rule definitely applies when introducing a signature or a reversal, so having description and action ready to go beforehand is important!

For example, from our current (non-Exalted) game: Ulrik is a mercenary Captain. He's competent, demanding, courageous, and all of the things you'd expect.

His signature is that he recites a memorial to each and every one of his fallen comrades, from memory.

The party first met him from afar, having a discussion over radio comms in an urban battle. A few hours after the battle, the party made their way over to Ulrik's camp - encircled by several tanks - to make sure their claim to the battle salvage was respected. Before they entered the circle, they saw that a bunch of troops were gathered around a bonfire in the center, and Ulrik was talking about each and every fallen trooper - when and how they met, some battles they'd been through, the talents they'd discovered over their career, funny stories, surviving relatives, and how they fell.

Ulrik's troops will follow him through Hell (and have). The party stopped on their heels to listen and wait for the memorial to end, before interrupting. Later on, they hired Ulrik and his compliment on to their own endeavors. The party makes time for him after battle for his tradition, and have even joined in.

I came up with Ulrik's reversal at the same time as his signature. Some time in the game's future, Ulrik will hesitate before entering battle. Maybe it will be after a long campaign of many battles, or maybe he will be promoted over too-great number of people. Either way, he won't advance when it's time to. The party will have to stall the battle to get Ulrik moving - and they will discover that he can't bring himself to advance because he can't remember the names of everyone he's lost, or that are under his command. It will act like a special-purpose Limit Break, and the PCs will have to deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• aluminiumtrioxid
    replied
    Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
    It seems like you can´t. Maybe we shall use a external polling site?

Know any good ones?

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    It seems like you can´t. Maybe we shall use a external polling site?

Leave a comment:

• Measure of Hope
    replied
    Nup. 10char

Leave a comment:

• aluminiumtrioxid
    replied
    ...So, uhh, does anybody know how to post a poll around here?

Leave a comment:

• light-hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
    I say we just do a new vote thread every couple weeks with links to a master thread where people actually post the NPCs. Keep all the statblocks in one place, y'know? Maybe get that central thread stickied?
    Great idea

Leave a comment:

• Wise Old Guru
    replied
    I say we just do a new vote thread every couple weeks with links to a master thread where people actually post the NPCs. Keep all the statblocks in one place, y'know? Maybe get that central thread stickied?

Leave a comment:

• Therian
    replied

Uuuh... we should, I'm just kinda stuck on how to do it. A new thread for every two-week period seems wasteful, so we should probably keep submissions in a single thread and use an external polling site for voting. I'm also thinking about a system of weighing votes (people who actually participate should have better odds at influencing what they're gonna write than regular forum users, because I'd rather have people write something they're enthusiastic about), but I'm also thinking this may be more trouble than it's worth and isn't it only fair that people who plan on using the results get an equal say in what those results would be?

(Also Deadfire just came out and I'm ashamed to say that it is right now eating up a bigger slice of my free time than it probably should.)
    Maybe we should just go ahead and start with your Essence 2 combatant idea and see how that goes, and then follow up with a vote after the first round?

Leave a comment:

• aluminiumtrioxid
    replied
    Originally posted by light-hero View Post
    Are we doing the vote?

Uuuh... we should, I'm just kinda stuck on how to do it. A new thread for every two-week period seems wasteful, so we should probably keep submissions in a single thread and use an external polling site for voting. I'm also thinking about a system of weighing votes (people who actually participate should have better odds at influencing what they're gonna write than regular forum users, because I'd rather have people write something they're enthusiastic about), but I'm also thinking this may be more trouble than it's worth and isn't it only fair that people who plan on using the results get an equal say in what those results would be?

(Also Deadfire just came out and I'm ashamed to say that it is right now eating up a bigger slice of my free time than it probably should.)

Leave a comment:

• light-hero
    replied
    Are we doing the vote?

Leave a comment:

• aluminiumtrioxid
    replied
    Well, we need to vote on the theme anyway, so the new thread may as well start with a poll. But I'd wait until the end of the week so everybody has a fair chance to put up their suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Measure of Hope
    replied
    I'll go for another practical inclusion with "Warlord or general". Definitely think we need a new thread though.

Leave a comment:

• Therian
    replied
    Okay, let's do this!

Let's do it in two-week sprints - decide on a theme for the two-week period, and write one (1) character each to that theme, detailed however much the participant wishes to (just numbers; numbers and intimacies; numbers, intimacies and short background; numbers, intimacies and a 20-chapter fanfic about the character... whatever floats your goat).

"Just one?!!", I hear you ask. Well, burnout is a concern, so I'd rather keep submissions at a reasonable level in the interest of long-term sustainability.

Themes may be decided by voting, a round robin method between active participants, or we could turn this into a contest and whoever wins gets to decide the next sprint's theme. But I'm personally opposed to that, because a/ it feels like shit to turn in your best work and be judged unworthy, b/ a round robin method ensures that everybody has ample time to think about their theme and voting directly on the theme is more relevant than voting on the person picking the theme, and c/ it unduly favors fluff writing (anybody can see the merit of background text, but decent workhorse mechanics are often not terribly inspiring to read).

So anybody who wishes to participate, please propose a theme until the end of this week. Mine is going to be boring but functional: "reasonably competent essence 2 combatant", because I think this is what most games could always use a few of.

I'm all for it. Should we spin this off into a separate thread so it will get more exposure and keep the purpose of this one intact? Also, do we want to try and collect these somewhere?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X