Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game-specific terms and what they mean...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by generous. The core book seems to expect a one-die stunt on any roll made as the default. If you can, why wouldn't you, right?
    He said big stunts, which tend to be taken as level 2 or 3 stunts.

The Core says level 2 stunts should be awarded to stunts tham seem like the highlight of the scene. So they have to be very evocative.

3 point stunts should be given to things that are the seem to be the highlight of the whole session of play. Its the thing you talk about how cool that was with your friends when not playing, sometimes for years after.

So to assume level 2 or 3 stunts for every roll in a round of combat is planning to win a game at very low odds.

Comment

To be clear, I didn't mean the ST should be handing out a 2- or 3-die stunt every round or even every scene. Wasn't sure if Beans meant just 2-3 die stunts, or all stunts in general. I agree, 3-die stunts should be rare. I would never argue otherwise.

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
      Follow us on Twitter!
      Follow us on Facebook!
      Follow us on the Web!
      Like what we do? Support us on Patreon!

Comment

To be clear, I didn't mean the ST should be handing out a 2- or 3-die stunt every round or even every scene. Wasn't sure if Beans meant just 2-3 die stunts, or all stunts in general. I agree, 3-die stunts should be rare. I would never argue otherwise.
        Oh yeah, I'm just pointing out he said big stunts, and that tends to mean stunts other than level 1. So that is where saying the ST is being generous comes from. If you're awarding stunts 2 or 3 to multiple rolls on a roll, you're probably being way too generous as an ST.

Comment

Beyond whether an ST is willing to grant big stunts that rapidly, it's also a question of burnout---at least, I think so. Like, level 1 stunts are the norm because you basically just have to say more than "I hit the guy". Given how big stunts are supposed to be that dang big, thinking up and pulling out a new one round after round after round seems pretty daunting.
          Ironically, it probably is made a little easier by the ST giving you a flavorful environment to draw on... i.e. not a white room.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Thing is, even if they pump out great, flavorful descriptions, they would just fall into Stunt 1, because not everything can be the highlight of the scene.

Unless they constantly out do themselves, the awesomeness of a later action is graded against an earlier action on the scene.

What I'm saying is, a stunt's level is not based solely on the quality of the stunt itself, but also on the comparison to other moments within the timeframe.

A great descriptor could be a level 2 stunt, in a scene peopple are not too inspired, or even level 3, in a particularly drab session, if the ST is feeling like giving incentive to pick things up.

But, even if a description is great it could be a level 1 stunt, if it given in the middle of a bunch of other great descriptions. When everything is going good the bar keeps on getting higher.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by generous. The core book seems to expect a one-die stunt on any roll made as the default. If you can, why wouldn't you, right?
              2e technically only required you to utilize the environment for a 2-die stunt, so they kinda became the default. 3e shifted it to make a the equivalent much harder to achieve.

Comment

Got another one: Benthic. WTF does this even mean! I've seen it in quite a few places, but there's never enough context to glean its meaning.

Follow us on Twitter!
                Follow us on Facebook!
                Follow us on the Web!

Comment

Got another one: Benthic. WTF does this even mean! I've seen it in quite a few places, but there's never enough context to glean its meaning.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthic_zone

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Got another one: Benthic. WTF does this even mean!
                    It's not a game term at all, at least not in the sense of being a word with a specific meaning in Exalted rules. Rather, it's a slightly-obscure term meaning "of, relating to, or occurring at the bottom of a body of water" (usually an ocean). A "benthic predator", for example, would be one that primarily hunted creatures in the deep sea, near the bottom.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthic_zone

When used here, like benthic beastmen, it is probably referring to weird crustacean type sea people/monsters.
                      Last edited by TGUEIROS; 05-16-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

The Benthic Knifetooth is actually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frilled_shark.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Just a small thing that might help at your table since you're running your first game soon. The whole 1-, 2-, or 3- die stunt nomenclature is a relic from previous editions, and even though the term is technically 1,2, or 3 point stunt is still think its a little confusing since all stunts just give you 2 dice plus successes and willpower. We like to use adjectives to cut down on confusion. In our case we use Standard, Exceptional, and Legendary. Might not seem like a big deal but anything that reduces new player confusion is good.

Comment

That's a good way to do it! In my own small session I ran for two friends (who ended up deciding that they weren't big fans of Exalted as a system, but that's okay), I tried calling the stunts Minor, Major, and Defining---both because the Intimacy terminology was sitting there already, and because I figured that a top-level stunt should be kind of session-defining, in that you'll always end up going "remember that session? No, the one where Samantha did that crazy thing with the noodle cart and the hellboar!" to reference it.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post

Just a small thing that might help at your table since you're running your first game soon. The whole 1-, 2-, or 3- die stunt nomenclature is a relic from previous editions, and even though the term is technically 1,2, or 3 point stunt is still think its a little confusing since all stunts just give you 2 dice plus successes and willpower. We like to use adjectives to cut down on confusion. In our case we use Standard, Exceptional, and Legendary. Might not seem like a big deal but anything that reduces new player confusion is good.
                              That's a great idea! Yeah, I'm used to the 2E terms for that kind of stuff, and it was hard to keep track of that during the QS. Will defz be stealin' this for use at my table!

Follow us on Twitter!
                              Follow us on Facebook!
                              Follow us on the Web!

Comment

That's a great idea! Yeah, I'm used to the 2E terms for that kind of stuff, and it was hard to keep track of that during the QS. Will defz be stealin' this for use at my table!
                                Glad to help! Really enjoying the podcast so far btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X