Sorcery Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcery Workshop

If this exists in another thread, I apologize for spamming. But since I haven't found one, I'm creating it here.

I want to know how you, fellow Exalted player, go about creating new spells. From the mundane to the monumental, what is your process when developing a new spell?

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
    Follow us on Twitter!
    Follow us on Facebook!
    Follow us on the Web!

This is one of the things the book lacks guidance for.

It is currently not even possible, rules as written.

The Devs have said they will approach the subject on the Sorcery focused book.

That being said, the previous editions have a wealth of ideas, and many people convert from them.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
      It is currently not even possible, rules as written.
      I don't necessarily think that's true. Given the examples in the core book, we should use those as starting points, rather than an exhaustive list of spells.

Follow us on Twitter!
      Follow us on Facebook!
      Follow us on the Web!

Comment

I agree with Lukkychukky here. Though not explicit, it gives plenty of different types of spells at each circle and from that you can derive a working, though not perfect, design space for how spells can be built. Combined with stuff from the Q&A thread (I can post examples from the nishkyra database when I get home). And it gives you something that generally tells you the level of scope from each circle, the kinds of scale it’s effects can encompass, and the cost of each. Is it definitive? No, and each table will need to come to consensus on it on their own. But to say just because it’s not explicitly stated “These are the rules” does not mean it’s not impossible.

Comment

I understand what both of you are saying.

Its just that RAW, there is no way to create new spells. There are two RAW ways of learning new spells, from mentors or from "scrolls".

You can homebrew your way of inventing new spells, but it is not RAW.

And RAW is what I was talking about.

Comment

Its just that RAW, there is no way to create new spells. There are two RAW ways of learning new spells, from mentors or from "scrolls".

Totally get you, my point is that Exalted with its specific carve outs such as the golden rule make RAW less sticky for me then say Pathfinder. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

For sure, thats why I suggested an easy way to go about it is to convert other editions' spells.

Now for rules on how to invent them, there are none.

One idea is to make it like a Sorcerous Working, maybe Ambition 3 of the same circle as the spell.

Comment

For sure, thats why I suggested an easy way to go about it is to convert other editions' spells.

Now for rules on how to invent them, there are none.

One idea is to make it like a Sorcerous Working, maybe Ambition 3 of the same circle as the spell.
                But my point is you can establish new spells in setting w/o working, though if you want the character to create X spell a working is a good avenue. Just because it’s not published I don’t feel is a significant barrier to development, but ymmv as I love doing Homebrew.

Comment

The one spell I created was based on Wood Dragon’s Claw, but instead of creating an artifact claw hand, it created an artifact pellet crossbow from wind and sand and contract.

More conceptually, Sorcery should be, above all else, weird. One way to do that is to take a Thing, like butterflies, fire, clouds, skin, a kraken, and so on, and give it some of the properties of a completely different Thing, like obsidian, a bird, a carriage, bronze, magma, and so on. This “Thing which can act like some totally different Thing” concept seems to be fertile ground for all kinds of spells and makes a good jumping off point for brainstorming your own spell and Working ideas.

Comment

I’m pretty sure that, in the Ask the Devs thread, Vance said “Just let them pay xp and learn the new researched spell.” So, presumably the training time for a spell is long enough to devise your own.

Comment

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-devs/page138

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      Creating a spell doesn't require any rolls or XP expenditures other than those you spend to learn the spell - it's something your character does in the narrative that doesn't really benefit from being modeled mechanically.
                      BrilliantRain has the right of it, though I wouldn't presume the training time is enough to create a new spell. He just said it is a narrative thing that probably won't get modeled mechanically.

But in reality, I don't know, haven't given it much thought.

Comment

That's like saying there's no RAW way to climb ladders. It's technically true that there's no specific widget for it in the ruleset, but it still falls under the umbrella of an existing rule (in this case, the Orichalcum Rule).
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-07-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          That's like saying there's no RAW way to climb ladders. It's technically true that there's no specific widget for it in the ruleset, but it still falls under the umbrella of an existing rule (in this case, the Orichalcum Rule).
                          It would be if the book didn't specify the way to acquire new spells, but it does. So it is a bit more nuanced than that. Though I agree it is not a big problem, and it should be easy to figure out with the ST/Table.

Pg. 178

"and learning spells requires a mentor or a text copy of the spell in question and many hours of intense study."

Comment

Sorcery has to be strategic.

The closest thing to a fireball spell is flight of the Brilliant raptor. Only its not a fireball spell. Its basically an artillery spell in a bronze age setting, where most ranges are in at least a few hundred meters. The Flight of the Brilliant Raptor's range is basically 1,800 yards. I.e. 1.6 kilometers. Basically, the most basic fireballs spell in the arsenal hilariously outranges any possible weaponry in the bronze age weaponry. You need gods or charms to shoot that far.

Sorcery isn't just something you do. For almost sorcery spell, there's almost someting that makes it stand out. Something that prevents it from being generic and makes each spell unique and fluffy. The fireball spell doesn't just fling fireballs. It makes you into artillery capable of firing out a bird on fire that explodes and kills your target and everyone around him. That spell you use to change your appearance? Its not just appearance. Mannerisms, tics, anima, all are changed as well.

Comment

Accelerator, those are all good points! Exalted puts much more emphasis on spells being unique and extremely powerful. Most other TTRPG spells, if ported into Exalted, would be covered by most likely the least of any of the Charm trees. So, how would you go about designing a new spell with those things in mind?

Follow us on Twitter!
                              Follow us on Facebook!
                              Follow us on the Web!

Comment

Working...
                              X