Sorcery Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post
    Accelerator, those are all good points! Exalted puts much more emphasis on spells being unique and extremely powerful. Most other TTRPG spells, if ported into Exalted, would be covered by most likely the least of any of the Charm trees. So, how would you go about designing a new spell with those things in mind?

1. Scale. Terrestiral circle sorcery is supposed to affectabout 1 to 5 people

2. Fluff. There's a spell for translation. But its not just a translation spell. It also creates a mask that you wear, that makes your voice reverberate in a supernatural way. This way, the mask not only looks kickass, but also adds an extra effect. And another thing, like the translation spell for texts. Not just one that makes the word makes sense. But its conjures a mouth and eye to scan the text, and then the mouth speaks the text in your native language. Basically, the same effect. But the implementation is far different.

3. Strategic level. Let's have several examples. And keep in mind, this is the bronze age. The one where having good steel weapons are counted as something incredible. Or at least, expensive.

A. Horse that travels over Earth and Water.

A tireless horse that travels over both the lakes, seas, and solid ground. This is a big thing, despite appearances. Normal horses tire. They are expensive to both maintain, take care of, and feed. Half the time with a horse, you're walking, cause a horse that is forced to gallop all day dies. A horse can break a leg or lose a shoe. This one doesn't.

A horse like this in real life in the medieval ages would be worth its weight in gold. It basically means you can probably travel thrice the distance, with lesser cost. Its not just a single benefit. Its several, all clustered together. Sorcery spells can benefit you in several ways at once.

B. Ramparts of obedient Earth.

Something that can let you create 3 story high walls of earth, with no need for bricks, kilns, workmen, or mortar. Just some saplings. remember, this is Creation. There's only muscle power. Stuff like this would take weeks to build, entire quarries, and at least dozens of men. But you do it in, like, an hour. Sorcery spells can do grand workings, in ways charms cannot.

C. Infallible Messenger.

This spell, in all effects, basically makes it so that you have instant sms messaging and email across the entirety of creation. Think about it. In a medieval age setting like Creation, getting information and messages out is slow, hard work. It takes weeks, its unreliable, the message might get lost, or get intercepted. This spell, in effect, lets you bypass all that. The same thing is done with the wooden face. It lets you basically carry out teleconferences. I don't think I need to stress the level of use this has in a place like Creation.

4. Sorcery is, in effect, miracles. Not miracles of inhuman skill, but instead miracles. Like the way moses parted the seas or created manna. External, miracles, like the way that you see in the bible. You want to be able to have super sword skills? Nope. Not going to happen. You want to conjure flaming swords that fly up and impale your enemies? You're right on.

5. I think sorcery should have some... subsets. Think of Conan the Barbarian. Those kind of sorcerers. Those kind of sorcerers that would die in any melee focused battle. But they excel in preparation. Look at the buffs. Look at the stuff like Sorcerer's irresistble puppetry and disguise of the new face. The sorcerer is the dude that walks up to the melee focused exalted, gets cut in half... only to reveal it was some poor sap that got controlled by Puppetry and got face changed by Disguise of the New Face. Look at the buffs. Mists of Eventide. Impenetratable Frost Barrier. Burning eyes of the offender. All are buffs that take time to cast and use. A sorcerer should not be able to truly excel in a stand up fight. But he should, when given the chance to prepare, become a nightmarishly dangerous enemy.

Comment

So anyway...

How about an anti tech spell, made by a lunar?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        How about an anti tech spell, made by a lunar?
        What would that even mean? Everything we have made, everything we have, is technology; sails are tech, the wheel is tech, clubs are tech.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-10-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          What would that even mean? Would spears stop working in its vicinity?
          Apologies.

Simply put, celestial spell made by a lunar really fitting in the barbarian mindset. He makes this spell, to damage the tools of the realms armies.

It's basically a heart of darkness. A field that, once deployed, will start eroding away at any form of technology.

A wooden staff? Falls apart in a day or so, rotting away.

A sword of steel, forged in the realms most advanced forges? Rusts away to dust in several minutes.

Artefacts, magical materials, and weapons held by exalted do not fail.

How about it?
          Last edited by Accelerator; 05-10-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Simply put, celestial sword made by a lunar really fitting in the barbarian mindset.
            Which "barbarian mindset?" Every tribal culture in the setting uses tools; even the Dune People fashion breathing tubes to facilitate their day-sleep.

In what way does rejecting tool use fit said mindset?

He makes this spell, to damage the tools of the realms armies.

It's basically a heart of darkness. A field…
            Is it a field, or is it a sword?

…that, once deployed, will start eroding away at any form of technology.
            So if I've used tools to divert a river for irrigation purposes, what happens when the Lunar's sword/field hits the river?

Will cows exposed to this heart of darkness start crumbling?

A wooden staff? Falls apart in a day or so, rotting away.

A sword of jadesteel, forged in the realms most advanced forges? Rusts away to dust in several minutes.
            Why does the sturdier thing made of a magical material crumble away faster than the flimsier thing?

Artefacts, magical materials, and weapons held by exalted do not fail.
            Then why did the magical material fail?
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Which "barbarian mindset?" Every tribal culture in the setting uses tools; even the Dune People fashion breathing tubes to facilitate their day-sleep.

In what way does rejecting tool use fit said mindset?

Is it a field, or is it a sword?

So if I've used tools to divert a river for irrigation purposes, what happens when the Lunar's sword/field hits the river?

Will cows exposed to this heart of darkness start crumbling?

Why does the sturdier thing made of a magical material crumble away faster than the flimsier thing?

Then why did the magical material fail?
              Apologies. Corections have been made.

What i mean was.... the realm legions have higher levels of equipment. And barabarian tribes, having much less infrastructure and exalts, don't. So this spell is used as a way of leveling the playing field.

Also, the spell doesn't damage natural weapons. So beastmen tribes can use claws, superior strength, and fangs to kill the soldiers. Meanwhile, the Realm legions have realized that their steel swords and pikes have fallen apart in their hands, and are trying to CQC giant monsters.

Comment

I think that the rationale Accelerator was going for is that more tecnhologically advanced things deteriorate faster.

Thats why a sword crumbles away faster that a staff.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                  I think that the rationale Accelerator was going for is that more tecnhologically advanced things deteriorate faster.

Thats why a sword crumbles away faster that a staff.
                  yes, that's what i meant.

Its not just what it is. Its also how it was made.

Two swords. One made by a master smith from a podunk village. Another made in the heart of the Realm, using thaumaturgically treated tools.

The one made by the Realm dies faster.

Its a way to upend the entire scale of battle, and basically rewrite the rules of the game. Now the side with lower tech wins. Or at least, gets less disadvantaged.

Comment

I really don’t think that Exalted has the necessary degree of technological disparity to make an anti-tech field make much sense. A field that causes metal to rust or degrade very quickly would be much simpler to define and describe and accomplish most of the same goals without ending up in complex philosophical arguments about the nature and definition of technology.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                      I really don’t think that Exalted has the necessary degree of technological disparity to make an anti-tech field make much sense. A field that causes metal to rust or degrade very quickly would be much simpler to define and describe and accomplish most of the same goals without ending up in complex philosophical arguments about the nature and definition of technology.
                      Ah, damn it. Maybe this would work better in a exalted modern setting?

Comment

Ok, I wrote down some stuff:

The Blight of Autochthon - Celestial Circle spell

There are 2 versions of this spell, both invented by the same Lunar. The Lunar, unhappy with the difference in equipment quality and infrastructure levels between the Realm, the civilized countries, and the barbarian hordes that he lead against the Realm. This spell is meant to level the field.

It comes in two forms.

All is Dust:

Cost: 20m Duration: 1 day

All things break down. Metal rusts. Wood rots. Clothes become moth eaten. Flowers wilt. Stones are ground down to powder by time. And so do all things made by human hands. Focusing the energies of rot and making the sign of Blight, which signifies the sickness of Autochthon, the sorcerer creates a field, of one mile in radius centered around him or several hundred yards away from him. Within the field, all things made via artificial processes are slowly eroded by the energies within this field. Every minute, every single man made object or structure gains unsoakable, unblockable damage as they decay. The spell has no effect on natural things, such as rock formations or a sharp branch picked up by a hunter.

The levels of damage absorbed by each object is dependent on the object's complexity and advancement. An axe, carved from a flint stone and a branch with a hole bored into it and secured by twine, would receive one level of damage. On the other hand, a suit of plated mail or a stainless steel sword forged in the artisan-crucibles of the Realm would receive 5 per minute

Alternatively, the size of the spell can be altered, along with the rate of destruction. Doubling the area of effect would halve the rate the damage occurs, and vice versa.

Return to medieval style
                        Cost: 60m Duration: 12 hours

The sorcerer makes the sign of the blessing of Autochthon, made to represent his love of tools and technology and carved upon the tools of the jadeborn. And then he inverts it.

In a scream of horror sounding unsettingly like the ones released by blightborn, the functioning of technology within an area of 2 miles wide ceases to function. Firedust refuses to ignite. Knives do not cut. Gears do not turn. Everything made by man, every tool, every crutch weakening them, is rendered useless. Alternatively, the caster could decide the level of technological sophistication allowed within the area. For example, he could allow the usage of knives but not guns. Or he could allow the usage of combustion engines. But not electronics.

At the end of duration, there is no damage done to the items and structures affected.

The only thing usable are claws and natural weapons. And those, the Lunar and his subordinates know how to use quite well.

Comment

Objects don't have health levels in 3e.

Comment

Objects don't have health levels in 3e.
                            You know what? Nevermind all this. I made a spell idea.

Comment

For the game I am in my ST told me he is open to me developing a spell I want to make myself. Me and him are still working out the details but essentially require some minimums.

Terrestrial Spell - Occult 3 / Essence 2 + / +1 ability related to field spell is in / 2 weeks per circle minimum.
                              Celestial Spell - Occult 5 / Essence 3 + / +1 ability related to field spell is in / 2 weeks per circle minimum.
                              Solar Spell - Occult 5 / Occult/Lore Specialty that is appropriate / Essence 5 + / +1 ability related to field spell is in / 2 weeks per circle minimum.

Another aspect we have been tooling around with is spell creation using crafting project style rules but using Occult or Lore instead. Still up in the air right now. He is fortunately pretty open to me making a spell as long as it fits the power level and fits sorcery theme of unique effects and abilities.

Comment

drakor, I really like that write-up! Very neat to see some of the minimum prereq’s Laid out so cleanly like that.

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
                                Follow us on Twitter!
                                Follow us on Facebook!
                                Follow us on the Web!

Comment

Working...
                                X