Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorcery Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    An idea for a spell for modern times:

    What about a spell for travelling through cyberspace and such?

    And a hound of the five winds that can travel through the internet and kill people through phones and laptops

    Comment


    • #32
      Ok, um, I got some things I wrote down when I was thinking of 'resources'.

      GAINING THE RICHES BELOW - SOLAR CIRCLE SPELL
      Motes: 60m
      Duration: Permanent:

      The sorcerer goes to the geomantic center of the area he wishes to cast this spell in, and carves out the sigil of the Kukla on a rock from that area. And then he repeats the process at each of the area's 4 cardinal directions, chanting the hymns of rebirth, of disaster bringing forth riches. After that, he goes to the center, and performs the sign of destructive change while standing in front of the center sigil. It is at this point in time that the sorcerer decides what kind of underground resources he wishes for. Then the sorcerer flees for his life, for at this moment, the very earth around him quakes.

      Earthquakes and tremors rock the area defined by the four sigils at the edges, with small after shocks affecting the nearby area, enough to knock down straw and mud houses, and enough to crack brick ones. Within the area, any building that is not made of the magical materials is shake apart, while manses lose power and shut down as the dragon lines are reordered. All tunnels and previous excavations into the earth are collapsed and reordered, and everything in the general area at the ground level is completely destroyed and remade.

      After a month of the catalysm, the shaking stops. And the miracle appears. What the miracle manifests as, depends on what the sorcerer wanted. If the sorcerer desired a diamond mine, he would be able to literally pick up diamonds just by digging into the ground, less than a foot from the surface. If he wishes for gold, he can walk towards the river, and find hundreds of thousands of nuggest of pure gold, released by the eruptions and overtuning of the earth. Any minerla, metal, or any resource which can be taken from the ground itself, can be created with this spell. With the exception of the five magical materials. Those can only be brought closer and more accessible to the surface, not created wholesale by this spell.

      A/N: A question. Should this be celestial or Solar? I think being able to own the richest mines in creation should be a good thing, but in bronze age societies, food is always more important.

      Comment


      • #33
        Why put a mote cost on it? It looks a lot more like a Ritual spell, to me; or, do you intend for it to be cast in combat time?

        Also, what happens when someone distorts it?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Why put a mote cost on it? It looks a lot more like a Ritual spell, to me; or, do you intend for it to be cast in combat time?

          Also, what happens when someone distorts it?
          Well, why not?

          I'm not sure. I got several ideas. 1. Everything is lava. 2. the earthquakes go out of control, destroying the entire area and everything around it. 3. The earth essence collapses, basically creating a giant sinkhole in the ground.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            Well, why not?
            • The area it covers is never specified beyond a quadrilateral whose points are defined by where the sigils are placed.
            • How long it takes to carve the sigil of the Kukla is not specified, either.
            • You have to move from one point on the map, to another, to another, to another, to another, and then back to the first point, to cast this spell. Even if no one contests your movement and you can mark your Kukla-rocks instantaneously, the fight has a really good chance of being over before you get to cast it.
            • It's a good idea to describe the environmental hazard characters caught in the tremors will face. (Which, as a reminder, the sorcerer will have to endure while fleeing the area of the spell.)
            • Aside from subjecting a larger area to a month of constant earthquake, what's the point of performing this spell in a larger area, if casting it in a one-meter square gets me the same diamond mine?


            Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            2. the earthquakes go out of control, destroying the entire area and everything around it.
            Given that it's an earthquake that is powerful enough to damage brick buildings and lasts for an entire month, that's not much of a distortion.

            Comment


            • #36
              Oh man. Hmm... you have a point. narratively, this is supposed to basically have the same role as benediction of archgenesis, i.e. terraforming.

              I suppose that for the area, its the same. 50 square miles.

              Maybe reduce the earthquakes?

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                Ok, um, I got some things I wrote down when I was thinking of 'resources'.

                GAINING THE RICHES BELOW - SOLAR CIRCLE SPELL
                Motes: 60m
                Duration: Permanent:

                The sorcerer goes to the geomantic center of the area he wishes to cast this spell in, and carves out the sigil of the Kukla on a rock from that area. And then he repeats the process at each of the area's 4 cardinal directions, chanting the hymns of rebirth, of disaster bringing forth riches. After that, he goes to the center, and performs the sign of destructive change while standing in front of the center sigil. It is at this point in time that the sorcerer decides what kind of underground resources he wishes for. Then the sorcerer flees for his life, for at this moment, the very earth around him quakes.

                Earthquakes and tremors rock the area defined by the four sigils at the edges, with small after shocks affecting the nearby area, enough to knock down straw and mud houses, and enough to crack brick ones. Within the area, any building that is not made of the magical materials is shake apart, while manses lose power and shut down as the dragon lines are reordered. All tunnels and previous excavations into the earth are collapsed and reordered, and everything in the general area at the ground level is completely destroyed and remade.

                After a month of the catalysm, the shaking stops. And the miracle appears. What the miracle manifests as, depends on what the sorcerer wanted. If the sorcerer desired a diamond mine, he would be able to literally pick up diamonds just by digging into the ground, less than a foot from the surface. If he wishes for gold, he can walk towards the river, and find hundreds of thousands of nuggest of pure gold, released by the eruptions and overtuning of the earth. Any minerla, metal, or any resource which can be taken from the ground itself, can be created with this spell. With the exception of the five magical materials. Those can only be brought closer and more accessible to the surface, not created wholesale by this spell.

                A/N: A question. Should this be celestial or Solar? I think being able to own the richest mines in creation should be a good thing, but in bronze age societies, food is always more important.

                I love the idea of the spell effect on this. It got some creative thought on my end going. I wanted to share some thoughts I had on it with you as well! Really nice idea ! I hope some of the idea I gave below can be helpful as well.

                Gaining the Riches Below - Solar Circle Sorcery
                Cost: 60m 3wp Ritual - Requires: Geomancy 5
                Duration Permanent

                The sorcerer designates a central point for this spell and places or selects a large stone (10ft x 10ft min.) as the spell anchor. Once selected or placed the sorcerer begins to carve the names of the materials desired into the rock in old realm well as carving essence channels across the rocks surface over the course of at least a full day. The sorcerer must also carve the expected dimensions the spell will cover up to a 10 mile radius on the highest portion of the stone and embed small pieces of the desired metals and minerals he desires to find within the carved map area on the stone. With preparations complete the sorcerer travels to the edge of the area he has designated to be effected and begins to perform shaping actions as he walks the entire perimeter of the area he has chosen. The shaped essence is sent rushing towards the stone and causes the mineral names carved into the essence channels to begin to glow softly as each one activates under the influx of gathering essence as the geomancy in the area begins to alter in order to manifest the sorcerer's desires.

                Mechanical Effect: The sorcerer can designate up to (Permanent Willpower) metals/minerals that will begin to proliferate in the area he has demarcated. Large deposits of the desired metals/minerals will begin to form due to the geomantic changes wrought by the spell. As long as the anchor stone is not destroyed the area will renew an equivalent amount of material equal to (Resources 5) of each metal/mineral every year. If the anchor stone is destroyed the area marked will deplete as normal. due to the geomantic changes that this spell brings this effect can not be redone within 1,000 miles of an active spell and all plant life will grow at half its normal rate in the area while the spell is active.

                Control Spell: the sorcerer can complete this spell within a 100 miles of another active one. Of note however if they do, the area designated past the first will have the plant life in the marked area wither and die for as long as the spell is in effect due to the geomancy being further disrupted.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Oh yeah, I forgot. You can make it regenerative....

                  Isn't stuff like a ten mile area kinda huge? Won't the sorcerer die of exhaustion?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X