No announcement yet.

Sorcery Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question. How would one write a spell that grants mutations and merits, both to willing and unwilling subject? I'm fairly sure that there were potions that granted immortality, and spells that granted resilience in mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Question. How would one write a spell that grants mutations and merits, both to willing and unwilling subject? I'm fairly sure that there were potions that granted immortality, and spells that granted resilience in mythology.

Potions would be a working :P

A spell--I'd make a unique spelll for types of mutations. A spell that gives people the aspect of a beast is different then one that turns them into a warp spasm--although thinking on it, how many buff other spells are there in exalted?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Potions would be a working :P

A spell--I'd make a unique spelll for types of mutations. A spell that gives people the aspect of a beast is different then one that turns them into a warp spasm--although thinking on it, how many buff other spells are there in exalted?
        Do self buffs count?

Comment

Do self buffs count?

No, that's what the other in buff other was for. I might be wrong, but its intreasting to me that there's no spells that enhance someone besides the sorcerer as a primary function ( a few spells help others with control effects).

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

No, that's what the other in buff other was for. I might be wrong, but its intreasting to me that there's no spells that enhance someone besides the sorcerer as a primary function ( a few spells help others with control effects).
            Hmm... I suppose it's because sorcery is meant for yourself. I mean, its in the corebook. The spells are meant to benefit the player.

There is no reason why sorcery can't buff others.

Comment

Idea. How about a sorcery that blesses buildings?

When the spell is cast on the workshop, it counts as 1 assistant and the workshop level rises. When cast on a hospital, patients get bonus dice to resisting disease and recovery.

Comment

CREATING THE STONE LABRYINTH
                Cost: 10m, 1wp

The sorcerer raises a hand, and shouts the Word of the Lost. At this, a labryinth is conjured around the sorcerer. The maze can be made of anything. In the jungle, hedges grow into shape. In the ocean, water rises up into walls. On land, earth reshapes itself into a maze. In the air, the space itself warps. The difficulty of navigating the maze, is (Sorcerer's essence + Intelligence + Occult), and anyone trapped inside must roll (intelligence + survival) to get through the maze. If the person wins, he is able to navigate the maze without getting lost, and is able to either find the sorcerer, find other people, or exit the maze.

At an interval defined the sorcerer, whether via ticks, actions, hours, or days, a new part of the maze is added. The maze starts off enclosing a 100 yard by 100 yard square, and each interval increases by the size by a hundred yards. This continues on, until each side of the maze is 1000 yards in size. As each interval passes, the maze is reshaped, forcing whoever is trapped inside to reroll. If they fail, they are once again, lost.

This maze is useless against anyone who can fly. Or jump good.

Comment

RESURRECTING THE FALLEN CITY - CELESTIAL
                  Cost: Ritual
                  Duration: 1 day

The sorcerer takes flag stones of a ruined city, and beats the tune of reborn civilisations and of new beginnings. The stones and material of the city dances with the tune, repairing themselves. Broken and shattered rubble brings itself back together into walls and streets. Cracked pavement mends itself. Ashes reform into books. Sand melts and remolds into glass. At the end of the ritual, the entire city is restored, or up to 40 x 40 miles in area, whichever is smaller. The spell cannot repair shattered geomancy, destroyed artifacts, or broken artifice. The only things it can repair, are up to thaumaturgical products. Thus, only cities can be made, but the first age is lost forever.

CONJURING SUSTENANCE FROM NOTHINGNESS
                  Cost: 15m
                  Duration: 1 day

The sorcerer first designates a group of people who he wants to feed, which can be of any magnitude. However, the base costs of the spell starts at 15 motes, and for every increase in magnitude, 3 motes are added.

The sorcerer then makes the mudra of the god of feasting and speaks the word in Ancient Realm for 'food'. In his hand is conjured a blue silk bag, thrown onto the ground in front of him. The bag opens... and out floats plates, bowls, cups, forks, spoons, chopsticks, knives, platters, trenchers, and jugs, all containing the best mortal food there is. The cutlery and food all contain food that a particular member of the group loves the most, and floats to him/ her. The food is always filling, well-received, and is never rots away.

Anyone who receives food from the bag, and eats it, does not suffer hunger penalties for the next (sorcerer's essence + occult) days, and receives 2 dice to resisting hardship

TREE OF BOUNTY - terrestrial circle sorcery
                  Cost: 10sm

The sorcerer picks a fruit, any fruit. Then throws it up into the air, while murmuring the words which the Emerald Mother spoke when the first trees emerged from Creation. The fruit scatters into ashes, which land on the ground. From there, a tree grows. It does not matter the condition. A tree meant for the east, could survive in the firey mountains of the South or in water-logged soil of the West. It will grow. It then grows to a stately tree, several dozen meters in height, with hundreds of branches, all bearing fruit. When the fruit is plucked, another is created within minutes, growing to maturity before the bearer's eyes.

The fruits are always healthy, sweet, and large, and the tree itself is immune to disease and parasites. After (sorcerer's occult score) years, the tree's regenerative ability fades. It is still immune to disease, and the fruits are still the best possible, but it no longer regrows its fruits in seconds.

Comment

For Creating the Stone Labyrinth, compare Malediction of the Distorted Compass -- Celestial, I think, for a similar effect. I like the image of a sorcerously growing and shifting maze, but it seems more like a working than a spell. Also, you haven't said how high the walls are.
                    For Conjuring Sustenance From Nothingness, compare Food From the Aerial Table -- again, a similar effect, though I don't remember what Circle this is. Not a huge nitpick, I just think the conceptual territory is already covered.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                      For Creating the Stone Labyrinth, compare Malediction of the Distorted Compass -- Celestial, I think, for a similar effect. I like the image of a sorcerously growing and shifting maze, but it seems more like a working than a spell. Also, you haven't said how high the walls are.
                      For Conjuring Sustenance From Nothingness, compare Food From the Aerial Table -- again, a similar effect, though I don't remember what Circle this is. Not a huge nitpick, I just think the conceptual territory is already covered.
                      Good god. I just realized something. These were meant to be celestial sorcery spells!

I just saw this, and thought I had to emulate it.

Butterflies to Chrysalides Bombardment
                      Cost: 35m

Target: Area (250 yard radius, centred on target point within 1 mile of sorcerer)

A Silurian innovation, this spell uses the motonic principles of Death of Obsidian Butterflies, but expands them up to the Sapphire Circle. As the sorcerer shapes the spell, a collection of butterflies, some in obsidian, others cast in a faintly fluorescent greenish-yellow glass begin to spiral the caster, their flight spelling out the Word of Complexity, which represents sudden change in faraway places from small alterations.

When the character releases the spell, they roll their Perception + Occult, adding their Essence in automatic successes. On the completion of the spell, the butterflies arc up into the air, coming down a tick later on the target location as a great swirling cyclone of enormous glass butterflies, each butterfly anywhere from a foot to a yard across. Everything within 250 yards of that target is subject to the attack. The attack descends from above, so any cover must be at least an inch of stone overhead to protect; the butterflies are quite capable of cutting through the roofs – and upper floors – of most Second Age structures to shatter on the inhabitants within.

Characters defend against Butterflies to Chrysalides Bombardment as if it was a hand-to-hand attack, and each attack is independent, so magic which protects only one person will not protect others subjected to the same attack. Treat the butterflies as rolling a number of attack successes equal to what the sorcerer’s player rolled, -1 for each two dice of penalties that circumstances impose. In cases of thick fog or a heavy low cloud level, characters may have to reflexively roll (Perception + Awareness), Difficulty 1, to avoid it being a surprise attack. The attack inflicts 12L, plus any extra successes on the attack roll as per usual.

However, this spell does not merely litter the ground with broken glass (though it does so, much like Death of Obsidian Butterflies). The butterflies, in their brief flight, release small lumps of igneous rock, around the size of a man’s fingernail, which litter the ground within the affected area. Compared to the brightness of the glass, they are dull and mundane. However, moving or Dashing across the affected area, for the next lunar month, risks life and limb. Each tick where the character moves or Dashes requires a (Perception + Awareness) roll, at a difficulty of half the sorcerer’s Essence, and the roll may only be made if the character is aware of the danger. Failure means that a character’s shadow has fallen on one of the chrysalides. From it, grows a spear-like bush made of fused butterflies made of black and green glass, directly pointed at the obstruction to the light, which then blossoms in a newly formed canopy at head height. This is modelled as a hand-to-hand attack against everything within 3 yards, which counts as having rolled the same number of successes as the original attack, and which inflicts +6L damage. The spear-bush created are living creatures, but will wither and die, turning brittle, if not fed on blood. The Imperial Legions have strict policies for what is to be done if it is found that a legion has wandered in such a formation, often including the use of Earth Aspects to turn over the soil, safely defusing the unhatched chrysalides. Sapphire Circle Countermagic safely defuses all the chrysalides in the area; Emerald Circle Countermagic can disarm all the ones in an area equal to that produced by a casting of Death of Obsidian Butterflies, allowing a formation to be moved through a so-covered area. Once the lunar month has passed, the unhatched chrysalides turn inert, but any spear-bushes that have grown remain.

Comment

Hey guys. An idea. Voodoo doll. Grab a link, stuff it into a doll, and then you can extract information from them.

Comment

CREATING THE STONE LABRYINTH
                          Cost: 10m, 1wp

The sorcerer raises a hand, and shouts the Word of the Lost. At this, a labryinth is conjured around the sorcerer. The maze can be made of anything. In the jungle, hedges grow into shape. In the ocean, water rises up into walls. On land, earth reshapes itself into a maze. In the air, the space itself warps. The difficulty of navigating the maze, is (Sorcerer's essence + Intelligence + Occult), and anyone trapped inside must roll (intelligence + survival) to get through the maze. If the person wins, he is able to navigate the maze without getting lost, and is able to either find the sorcerer, find other people, or exit the maze.

At an interval defined the sorcerer, whether via ticks, actions, hours, or days, a new part of the maze is added. The maze starts off enclosing a 100 yard by 100 yard square, and each interval increases by the size by a hundred yards. This continues on, until each side of the maze is 1000 yards in size. As each interval passes, the maze is reshaped, forcing whoever is trapped inside to reroll. If they fail, they are once again, lost.

This maze is useless against anyone who can fly. Or jump good.

I like the concept, but not a fan of the execution. It is rediculously powerful, especially for sorcerers who can safely keep casting spells from the center of the maze. Unless the target have insane int+survival, it is highly unlikely they will ever be able to navigate the maze. The caster can CHOOSE the interval and the interval can be ticks? So even if they manage to make the roll, they instantly get lost again. Why is the maze a square? And why is it measured in yards? Since it is not a ritual it seems to be made to be used in combat scencarios, so range bands would be more appropriate. How is it useless against those who can fly and jump? It warps space itself!

RESURRECTING THE FALLEN CITY - CELESTIAL
                          I don't have a balance issue with this one, just seem like something already covered by either workings or crafting charms. I would make change the time to a week and make it a day for those who have it as control spell or something.

CONJURING SUSTENANCE FROM NOTHINGNESS
                          So it is not as however many they like, but for up to BG 5? Magnitude is not same as size. And what is with the duration? It is not a ritual. And it should have some WP cost. If it never rots and it is super food they keep people fed for days.... yeah, no. I would have it go bad after a day and have the keeping people fed long part be for control spells.

TREE OF BOUNTY
                          Sounds like a good working. But as written as a spell, a sorcerer can create infinite food in seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrot Crusader View Post
                            Sounds like a good working. But as written as a spell, a sorcerer can create infinite food in seconds.
                            .... like food of the aerial table?

Comment

.... like food of the aerial table?

Alright, for simplicitys sake, lets assume the sorcerer always gather 10 motes per action and that each action is 3 seconds.
                              The tree sounds massive. Sounds like one could easily feed 100 people from a harvest.
                              Lets assume fruits grow back in 10 minutes. (you stated both it takes minutes and seconds, lets assume minutes)

Food of aerial table: Feed 10 people per 3 seconds invested by the sorcerer. Food tastes bland.
                              Tree of bounty: A single tree take 3 seconds from the sorcerer. Every 10 minutes it feed about 100 people (fruits from a branch could probably feed at least one person, you said hundreds of branches but lets go with 100). So every day, assuming it being harvested continually (an elemental bound to harvest sounds fitting) it can feed 100x6x24=14400 people per day at least. for 3-5 years. The fruits are always healthy and with several trees, you can get plenty of variation and you can also make dishes.

They are on completely different levels. I assume it not having a WP cost is an oversight, otherwise, the sorcerer could make 20 of these in a minute. This spell is much stronger than the solar circle spell "Benediction of Archgenesis".

Comment

Hey guys. An idea. Voodoo doll. Grab a link, stuff it into a doll, and then you can extract information from them.

Sounds like a great concept. Rather think cursing fit better than torture. Here is a rough idea for a terrerstrial, possibly celestial spell:

Effigy of the unfortunate fool
                                Cost: Ritual, 2wp

The sorcerer craft a doll of the target while continually cursing their name and existance, pouring their vitriol into their creation. (if the craftsmanship of the doll matters, roll craft. But for the purpose of the spell, it does not matter.). This ritual takes about an hour and requires the sorcerer to know the name, appearance (a description is not enougth but a well made painting is) as well as something that links to the target (hair, bodily fluids, something important to the person...) witch is integrated into the doll.

Once per day until the seasons turn, the sorcerer may insert a needle into the doll. At that very moment, some minor misfortune befall the victim. In most circumstances, this means stubbing their toe, stepping in a deep puddle, falling out of bed or some such harmless but annoying incident. However, if timed right, it can have distastrous consequences. The king speaking to his subject suddenly get shit on by a bird, the warrior about to deliver the killing blow step on uneven ground and slips and so on. The exact consequences is up to the storyteller, but as a rule of thumb, If the target is in the middle of performing an action, that action take a -(occult) penalty. In combat, dropping their weapon or falling prone or some such is more fitting.

The sorcerer may only have (essence) dolls. If more are made, one lose their magic (sorcerer picks).

Sorcerers who know this as their controll spell do not need a link to their target and can have (essencex3) dolls.

Comment

Working...
                                X