Evocations for Canonical Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evocations for Canonical Characters

So I wanted to take this time to think about the Evocations of the artifacts owned by canonical characters, I'm going to be focusing primarily on the Dragon-Blooded characters in What Fire Hath Wrought but there's no reason to limit ourselves for that.

Going to get the ball rolling.

Omphalos’ Embrace (Mnemon's Jade Reinforced Breastplate)
    I reasoned that by far the most interesting origin for this armour is that it's the very same that Ragara tried to assassinate her with and kept as a reminder that she can only really trust herself. As such I saw its Evocations rewarding patience and caution, offering additional protection against enemies whose patterns she could predict and understand and helping against popular assassination methods such as ambush and (ironically) poison.

I really don't know what to do for the Sword of Sorrows though.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Originally posted by Lioness View Post

I reasoned that by far the most interesting origin for this armour is that it's the very same that Ragara tried to assassinate her with and kept as a reminder that she can only really trust herself. As such I saw its Evocations rewarding patience and caution, offering additional protection against enemies whose patterns she could predict and understand and helping against popular assassination methods such as ambush and (ironically) poison.
    ​That sounds good, while I would personally want to add a line of powers to reinforce one's will and maintain composure. Just because it would be something that I would read from the name "Embrace".

Originally posted by Lioness
    I really don't know what to do for the Sword of Sorrows though.
    ​I know it probably wouldn't provide a guideline for any powers, but could somebody remind me if this was the name of her daiklave in past Editions?

​I'd want to look at the properties for white jade again, but I'd wonder if this might be something with effects a bit opposite to what I would see in the armour; something that wears down the resolve and strength of personality of the one she's fighting, breaking them down with their fears and regrets. I could see those as making an interesting combo for Mnemon specifically; her armour elevates her, her weapon breaks down the opposition, so that she strides above all others.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

In 1st edition it was the Weeping Sword of Sorrows and its attacks had the effects of Arrow Frog Venom.

Comment

I had similar thoughts about Triumph's Blossom, the armour of Tepet Ejava and the notion that its the same armour her mother wore when she gave birth on campaign. Evocation wise I see it both as an affirmation of her legend and something that helps create an affinity between the wearer and those they fight beside with common purpose.
        Last edited by Bastet; 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Sun's Fire is The Bull's Red Jade Daiklave. 2E's core seemed to have very little respect for the weapon, at least to me, since it devotes words to how Yurgen used it as a fire-starter and as a weapon; a bit lowbrow for a weapon held by a Wyld Hunt's Dragonblooded and used to kill Solars, then held by a Solar itself, though that's kind of 2E in a nutshell. The name itself is also interesting. Knowing that the Immaculate Order (and the Scarlet Empire) doesn't particularly worship the Sun, naming a Daiklave Sun's Fire is kind of a curious choice. The way I see it, there's two different possibilities;

The weapon itself might be mixed with Orichalcum, perhaps making it akin to a lightsaber, making it a superheated blade that glows like the heat of a forge. Maybe in this it melts through armor and cauterizes wounds even as they're touched, leaving both the wielder and his opponents constantly sunburnt and tanned due to the radiant heat.

The other option is one that might be even more interesting; Yurgen took it, and, not caring about the name, has renamed it something more fitting to his 'image', and the new name is akin to him trying to force it to learn more 'appropriate' evocations for a Solar, essentially him attempting to wrangle and wrestle the spirit into subservience. Given what we know of Evocations and how Artifacts can form bonds with lineages, it's possible he may have only the barest amount of Evocations with it, as the weapon refuses to submit to him. In this way, it's akin to picking up a freshly forged artifact, and is growing as Yurgen does.

Comment

Falling Tears Poet's Nameless Grand Goremaul, good names used for it online include "Strength of Argument" and "Doom Bell"-
            Whatever it's actually called I see this weapon as like a giant judge's gavel used to punctuate his statements. We see it being used like this in page 20 of Compass Underworld. As questionable as Scroll of Exalts was in places I rather like the idea that he barely knows how to wield it as a weapon right now.
            The power of "shut the fuck up!" has decent mileage on a Soulsteel weapon, damaging morale of battle groups seems an easy one but maybe it can silence the Whispers temporarily? Disrupt necromancy?

Comment

Falling Tears Poet's Nameless Grand Goremaul, good names used for it online include "Strength of Argument" and "Doom Bell"-
              My group called it 'Final Testimony'/'Last Words'.
              And yeah, robbing the eloquence from another persons' Social Combat actions to either make their lies grotesque;y transparent, to outright silencing them when you wap them sso that their cries in anguish for help go 'forever unheard' would totally fit.

I used to know things. Forbidden things.

Comment

Whatever it's actually called I see this weapon as like a giant judge's gavel used to punctuate his statements. We see it being used like this in page 20 of Compass Underworld. As questionable as Scroll of Exalts was in places I rather like the idea that he barely knows how to wield it as a weapon right now.
                The power of "shut the fuck up!" has decent mileage on a Soulsteel weapon, damaging morale of battle groups seems an easy one but maybe it can silence the Whispers temporarily? Disrupt necromancy?
                Something to enforce the Old Laws?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  Something to enforce the Old Laws?
                  Maybe. I'll confess I've never been especially invested in the Old Laws as a concept.

Comment

Maybe. I'll confess I've never been especially invested in the Old Laws as a concept.
                    ​I think a lot of my perspective on the Underworld in Exalted is shaped by my having read Geist: the Sin-Eaters and Book of the Dead long before I was interested in anything in Exalted.

​Like, when Third Edition describes the Underworld as now consisting of islands separated from rivers, I'm thinking that at least one of those rivers is made of scorpions.

​Still, even without them Old Laws as an independent thing, when one describes a giant hammer as having the symbolism of a gavel, I could see something that creates its own definition of law and is designed around punishment for those that violate it.

Comment

I think that when you're making something that is focused on 'laws' there's two distinct types of laws that can be played up; Laws and customs that the character imprints onto the weapon; for instance the way Talion allows you to pick what you're angry or upset about, or something that has it's own sense of what's right and wrong and then expects you to live off that; the thing with the Old Laws, for instance.

I think both can be neat ideas; so I wouldn't rule either out, but it definitely changes how you can see or use a weapon on if it is forcing it's rules on you or if it's expecting you to hold up on your own.

I don't have much time using actual canon weapons but Bastet had shown me a picture of Thorn once that we were talking about and it was an interesting conversation

Thorn

There's a picture in 1E of the Roseblack holding Thorn, while simultaneously grappling some random dude in a pile of thorns. It made me wonder if maybe Thorn has the ability to either modify the tags on her Elemental Bolts to make it Grappling, or if it has the Grappling tag itself and Evocations to boost it, similar to the Wood based Brawl charms that make a dragonblooded sprout thorns and brambles. If you want to be really out there, maybe Thorn itself has the Brawl tag, or can gain it, so it can be used through either Melee or Brawl.

Comment

I think that Nagezzar's Sower's Rod might be interesting if it had powers harnessing a rapport that he had already established with subjects, building on things like Instilled Intimacies, inspired emotions, past bargains and maybe even things that he has successfully persuaded people to do (possibly through the lens of a leverage that this gives him), and from those foundations is able to bring forth metaphorical or literal fruit that benefits him and inhibits his opponents.

​I'm wondering about the question of whether he might be expected to only employ a weapon as a last resort or against an anonymous opponent come specifically to kill him, but think it might lead to situations in which Nagezzar has a vested interest in establishing some kind of ties to anybody that he thinks might offer him violence, and in the event that an unknown assailant appears, he'll be inclined to offer them at least a provocative word before battle is joined, helped by the screening of his bodyguards.

​Speaking of, it might be the kind of thing that can help him to enhance the likes of Spinda, Echo and Autumn Spiral, when they're fighting in his defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare View Post
                          some random dude
                          Crow the Boy. That piece actually got some people upset.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-19-2018, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            Crow the Boy. That piece actually got some people upset.
                            I actually still don't know who this is because I know like nothing about 1E (I generally know very little about fluff as a whole, but 1E especially)

Comment

She was one of the Solars from the Caste Books (who mostly got used, in 2nd ed, for art and comics: all the Solars in the 2nd ed Core Book are from the 1st ed Caste Books). Specifically, an Eclipse. She was a street kid in a gang, who eventually ended up taking over a number of gangs of street kids in Nexus.

My characters:
                              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Working...
                              X