A Helpful Guide To Solar Melee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Helpful Guide To Solar Melee

Talking to a friend who was making a Dawn, and having been there myself, I think the size of the charmset is pretty daunting. You get a new charm every 5/8 of a session (probably, unless you are spending your XP on stuff that isn't charms for some reason) so a charmset with over 40 tools to buy is a scary thought. How do you know what you're picking up is actually worth it? For a newer player, or someone who hasn't messed around with solar melee before, it's not overly intuitive which charms you really, really want to have, and which are ultimately not that useful. So this is a guide I wrote up talking about each charm, how important/useful they are to purchase, why I've decided that, and so on. Maybe it can help someone here too, so here it is:

Solar Melee: So, You've Decided You Want To Win Forever

Critique or pointing out mistakes that should be fixed are much appreciated!

Genuinely enjoyable and enlightening to read, and I'd like to see more for the other Abilities.

However, I would prefer if you would give any explanation as to why you deem Glorious Solar Saber a bad choice. I don't feel your recommended house-errata buffs are enough on their own, in this regard.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Great guide with some real solid advice, but I think that Over-and-Under Method is better than you give it credit for. It's a great panic button that allows you to respond to any attack with two of your own, first withering and then decisive, that does not return the Solar to base initiative, allowing it to be used in crash. It's 2m more but that's more than made up for by the fact that it's 1wp less. It's a straight upgrade to what comes before it so I don't see why it shouldn't be at least green, or maybe even blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
        Great guide with some real solid advice, but I think that Over-and-Under Method is better than you give it credit for. It's a great panic button that allows you to respond to any attack with two of your own, first withering and then decisive, that does not return the Solar to base initiative, allowing it to be used in crash. It's 2m more but that's more than made up for by the fact that it's 1wp less. It's a straight upgrade to what comes before it so I don't see why it shouldn't be at least green, or maybe even blue.
        Can Over and Under really be used in crash? The first attack you roll is a decisive clash, which can't be launched in crash. However, I was rough on it because it requires a second attack roll, but one thing I completely forgot was that this is after they just lost a clash, meaning a -3 defence penalty. So this is a lot better than I first gave it credit for.

As for other abilities, I haven't personally used Brawl anywhere near as much, so it will be more prone to mistakes, but I could try my hand at one.

GSS does need more of an explanation, though, so I'll add onto it.

Comment

You cannot launch decisive attacks in a crash, even if they don't use your init. The init crash rules clearly say:
          A character in Initiative Crash cannot launch decisive attacks.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
          Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
          Some Lintha QCs
          A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

Really fun to read, and considering my players should exalt next week (yes, the players are exalting, what?) and they're quite obsessed with becoming machines of pure melee death, very useful! Reminds me of color-coded builds and whatnot from D&D btw. Nicely done.

Comment

echoing this reminds me of the DND4E styles. It did kind of throw me off since you swapped Purple and Gold but it's still really neat.

Comment

Interesting to see the charms broken down. The purple and blue are just a little close for my eyes, but that could be all kinds of just me. Making the charm names in a bigger font size might help a little with that, or maybe a more... magenta-y purple, but it's not exactly a huge issue.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
                  Really fun to read, and considering my players should exalt next week (yes, the players are exalting, what?) and they're quite obsessed with becoming machines of pure melee death, very useful! Reminds me of color-coded builds and whatnot from D&D btw. Nicely done.
                  its shamelessly stolen from old dnd guides that used the same colour system. if it aint broke, dont fix it, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post

Can Over and Under really be used in crash? The first attack you roll is a decisive clash, which can't be launched in crash. However, I was rough on it because it requires a second attack roll, but one thing I completely forgot was that this is after they just lost a clash, meaning a -3 defence penalty. So this is a lot better than I first gave it credit for.

As for other abilities, I haven't personally used Brawl anywhere near as much, so it will be more prone to mistakes, but I could try my hand at one.

GSS does need more of an explanation, though, so I'll add onto it.
                    The way I read it is that you use Flashing Edge of Dawn first (withering) and then add the result to Fervent Blow. I might be wrong.

Comment

its shamelessly stolen from old dnd guides that used the same colour system. if it aint broke, dont fix it, as they say.
                      I knew I had seen it before! I like

Comment

This may have been a bit of a rhetorical question, but I feel a need to answer.
                        Blazing Solar Bolt [5m 2i 1wp, simple]
                        Essence+thresh isn’t the worst damage in the world, but why spend your anima on this?
                        You would spend anima on this when you want to hit someone who is very far away.

Comment

It's competing with Peony Blossom Strike was more my point, I think I'm overly harsh on Blazing Solar Bolt but it's part of a set of charms that aren't particularly useful.

Comment

I haven't had time to read much of this yet, but it looks like an interesting and informative read. I have never played a Solar Melee character, so all I have is my impressions to go on for the Charmset, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare. Thank you for sharing this.

One thing, though: According to Vance, Hail-Shattering Practice doesn't work in a clash. It has to enhance a Melee-based Parry attempt.

Comment

It's competing with Peony Blossom Strike
                              Not Really. You use Peony Blossom if the enemy is right in front of you, and BSB if he's on the side of a nearby mountain.

Comment

Working...
                              X