A Helpful Guide To Solar Melee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Not Really. You use Peony Blossom if the enemy is right in front of you, and BSB if he's on the side of a nearby mountain.
    We're getting into a bit of an overly niche scenario here, since how often do you hit anima 3 with no-one around to fight that isn't really far away? I won't deny it can or has happened, but if its a niche buy I think my placement of it is appropriate.

As for HSP working on clashes, I don't really agree with the interpretation that it doesn't. There's a few other effects like that too (DED comes to mind), I think clashes might need a proper published ruling explaining what sort of effects are legal to work on them or not. As-is, I can't think of a mechanical reason why HSP or DED would not work on a clash, and if the reason they apparently don't is balance concerns, that seems like something to be properly addressed with errata.

Comment

I honestly don't know why Divine Executioner Stance isn't an Integrity Charm. It's about swearing an oath based on the power of your convictions.

I never did like Corona of Radiance. I also thought it bad to gate offensive Charms behind a defensive Charm which itself is found behind an attack Charm.

You should be able to clash ranged attacks with Iron Raptor Technique, and clashing ranged attacks with IRT and SWA could be buffed to project you from the consequences of failing a clash.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I am really doubtful that you can use Iron Whirlwind Attack, a Simple Charm, on a Reflexive attack created by Peony Blossom Technique (or any other Reflexive attack creator for that matter), and I am absolutely certain that you will not reset to base from Solar Counterattack after your opponent's attack does damage.

Edit: never mind the first point, I'm dumb, IWA explicitly lets you do so. But resetting to base is still part of resolving an attack, and Solar Counterattack says that the attack occurs between the opponent's attack and damage rolls while providing no text altering when the reset happens.
        Last edited by ElOhTeeBee; 05-14-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Edge of Morning Sunlight says that it's Uniform, so it can be used with a Withering or Decisive attack and, if the attack does one level of damage, you roll (essence) damage dice and apply it directly against the opponent's health track, ignoring hardness. That sounds like it's doing direct Decisive Damage even on a Withering attack. Which, ok, it's Creatures of Darkness only, but the upgrade from Sharp Light of Judgement potentially lets you do 1 or 2 HLs of damage with every Withering attack you make against people you really, really hate for 3m.

Possibly still a bit niche, but it sounds kinda cool.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by ElOhTeeBee View Post
            I am really doubtful that you can use Iron Whirlwind Attack, a Simple Charm, on a Reflexive attack created by Peony Blossom Technique (or any other Reflexive attack creator for that matter), and I am absolutely certain that you will not reset to base from Solar Counterattack after your opponent's attack does damage.

Edit: never mind the first point, I'm dumb, IWA explicitly lets you do so. But resetting to base is still part of resolving an attack, and Solar Counterattack says that the attack occurs between the opponent's attack and damage rolls while providing no text altering when the reset happens.
            Solar Counterattack working that way was I believe clarified by Vance, but I can't find the post in question. So maybe I'm wrong. The question of "what the hell happens if you launch solar counterattack against a withering attack" was something no-one had any idea about until the thread, I know that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post

Solar Counterattack working that way was I believe clarified by Vance, but I can't find the post in question. So maybe I'm wrong. The question of "what the hell happens if you launch solar counterattack against a withering attack" was something no-one had any idea about until the thread, I know that at least.
              Yeah, forum search sucks. :/

I really feel like "Solar Counterattack against withering comes with the risk of getting crashed if your counterattack doesn't straight-up kill your opponent" is healthier for the game than "Solar Counterattack, in addition to destroying action economy for 3m, also serves as a get-out-of-Crash-free card".

Comment

Forum search sucks, but you can ctrl-f to your heart's content here, http://www.nishkriya.com/Threads/Details/10319.

I couldn't find anything about resetting after they did damage. I found that even if you kill your attacker, they still get to roll damage- http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...32#post1069632

I also found a reiteration of the damage timing for the attacker, that if you mistook the attacker in the sentence for the counter-attacker you would come to this interpretation. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...00#post1071400

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

The text of Solar Counterattack is fairly unambiguous: "The Exalt may use this Charm in response to any attack she attempts to parry, creating a Melee counterattack that occurs after the opponent’s attack result, but before damage has been rolled. This attack functions as a regular decisive attack."

You create and resolve a regular decisive attack after seeing your opponent's attack result, but before they roll damage. How anybody could interpret this as "you roll attack and damage, but inexplicably don't reset until after they've damaged you, potentially yanking you out of crash without the Charm text explicitly saying so" is beyond me.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                  Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

So, I asked.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...20#post1218920

Comment

I hate to be a PITA, but could someone make a version of this that doesn't use purple and blue? I'm really colourblind (like, I thought purple existing as a colour was a joke people were playing on me for years), and I can't see the difference

I'm happy to do it myself if someone can list the charms that are purple for me. I'll change it to a 5* ranking system so anyone who has another colour-differentiation problems isn't impacted by the change I made.

Comment

Ahhh I didn't consider colourblindness, sorry. The charms that are purple are: Excellent Strike, Fire and Stones Strike, One Weapon Two Blows, Peony Blossom Technique, Dipping Swallow Defence, Solar Counterattack, Iron Whirlwind Attack, Heavenly Guardian Defence, Invincible Fury of the Dawn, Perfect Strike Discipline, Divine Executioner Stance

Comment

Will you look over Evocations and rate them against Solar Melee Charms?

For example, the Evocations of All-Conquering Colossus that can be used with Melee attacks and parries.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

No worries, after 30+ years of playing computer games I'm kinda used to colour vision biting me in the arse ;-)

Here's the colour tweaked version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                            X