Awakening Evocations in Artifacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening Evocations in Artifacts

So, I've read and re-read the sections pertaining to awakening Evocations in Artifacts, but I'm just not getting it. What does one have to do in order to awaken an Evocation?

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
    Follow us on Twitter!
    Follow us on Facebook!
    Follow us on the Web!

Generally, purchase them with experience like any other Charm, but often with a training component of having roleplayed developing a rapport with the Artifact through actions such as care and maintenance of it, performing rituals over it, and/or having acted in a manner of which it would approve. Some Evocations have special rules that limit when they can be unlocked to very specific circumstances, that will be listed in the Evocation in question.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So, if I understand you correctly, you can pay XP to unlock them as per normal Charms, that makes sense. But you can also unlock them for "free" through story/role-playing? Is that right?

Follow us on Twitter!
      Follow us on Facebook!
      Follow us on the Web!

Comment

Yes. Some unlock for free if you're resonant/not dissonant and have to be bought otherwise (or if you're impatient), and some have to be unlocked via story events.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Yes. Some unlock for free if you're resonant/not dissonant and have to be bought otherwise (or if you're impatient), and some have to be unlocked via story events.
          Gotcha. So, if they have the Resonant/Dissonant keyword, they can unlock for free if you meet that prereq. Interesting. How do you know if it has to be unlocked via story?

Follow us on Twitter!
          Follow us on Facebook!
          Follow us on the Web!

Comment

It says so in the description, usually.

Comment

You have to spend XP on them normally. Some Evocations have automatic unlock conditions written into them, or can only be unlocked after a prescribed story goal is accomplished.

Comment

Assume that the Evocation needs to be unlocked with XP. If it works differently, the Evocation will say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post
                  Gotcha. So, if they have the Resonant/Dissonant keyword, they can unlock for free if you meet that prereq. Interesting. How do you know if it has to be unlocked via story?
                  No, it is not necessarily tied to the Resonant or Dissonant keywords.

Sometimes the special activation rule for the very first evocation is listed under the Evocations of [Artefact] entry.

Otherwise an Evocation with special activation rules shall have a Special Activation Rules entry.
                  Last edited by Greyman; 05-14-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Free Evocation unlocks are not associated with any specific keyword or other rules text; they do not exist as a default option, nor is their availability hidden in some way. If you get to unlock an Evocation without spending XP, it'll say so in the Evocation description. Such conditions are specific exceptions rather than part of some overarching rule.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

In Setting, you form a deep bond of kinship with your Artifact over time, unlocking powers as your legend intermingles with that of your Artifact. Your actions, your personality combine with the materials and intention behind the design of the Artifact mix to unleash unique powers special to your unique bond.

As a Player, you spend xp to learn them when you meet the requirements, exactly as you would charms. Some evocations explicitly state when they can be learned for free. It will always say in the text.

Hopefully that's a clear breakdown.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                        In Setting, you form a deep bond of kinship with your Artifact over time, unlocking powers as your legend intermingles with that of your Artifact. Your actions, your personality combine with the materials and intention behind the design of the Artifact mix to unleash unique powers special to your unique bond.

As a Player, you spend xp to learn them when you meet the requirements, exactly as you would charms. Some evocations explicitly state when they can be learned for free. It will always say in the text.

Hopefully that's a clear breakdown.
                        Yes, than, you! That cleared it up greatly. I appreciate all of the responses, and thank you all for being patient with a newer exalt!

Follow us on Twitter!
                        Follow us on Facebook!
                        Follow us on the Web!

Comment

Working...
                        X