ed 3rd - Brawl Charm Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ed 3rd - Brawl Charm Guide

Following the inspiration from the Melee Charm Guide that was posted here, a friend of mine, Omicronone, decided to do a Brawl Charm Guide, which is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Hope it's useful!
    Last edited by pcontop; 05-18-2018, 08:14 AM.

Neat! Brawl is my favorite Solar Ability, and I'd say your friend's guide is pretty spot on overall. The idea of separating how good a Charm is for each of the two broad Brawl archetypes was a good one as well.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

I'm surprised at your dismissal of Rapturous Cradle, given the uses you suggest for Burning Brand of Authority.

If you drop one guy you've grappled in order to deal with a second guy, the first guy could be running away while you deal with the second. Burning Brand only works at close range, so Rapturous Cradle lets you grab the runaway.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

One thing Rapturous Cradle does is let you drop someone down a cliff, let them suffer a long range fall, then pull them back into your grapple which may be better than a Savage attack. I agree Orange is probably the right color for it though.

Comment

Also its cool someone else out there realized how good Inevitable Victory Meditation is - big thumbs up from me.

Heaven Fury Smite is a great charm no doubt, but I've found in actual play I frequently want to follow up a big withering hit with a Simple-type charm, which HFS does not let you do. A small mark against it.

The only charm whose position I strongly disagree with is Burning Fist Burial - that thing is way more niche than it might seem, and usually is a complete waste of motes. Brawl is so good at generating initiative (and damage in general) that adding raw decisive dice, even for 1m for 1d, is a pretty questionable exchange rate. Paying a 4m surcharge on top of that for the benefit of post-roll activation and a soft-cap on the number of damage dice you can add is not worth it. This may seem mindblowing considering how good post-roll activation generally is, but it's true.

It's really bad if you only want to add a couple damage dice (6m for +2 dice?? In brawl??) and doesn't scale that well in efficiency for normal case uses. 10m for +6 dice is not good. Burning Fist Burial sucks and should be moved from blue to orange.

Comment

I will disagree with Shockwave Technique being hard to reset. Charms enhancing an attack can reset off of that very attack. So if you use Shockwave in combo with a decisive Crashing Wave Throw You will be able to reset the shockwave right away most of the time.

Comment

This is pretty good, and I agree on most points! I suggest you throw a link to Madletter's Charm Cascade for reference in the OP.

http://www.madletter.net/rpg/exalted...e_v3_brawl.pdf

Comment

Why such a negative rating of sledgehammer fist punch? Sure its a niche effect but reflexive feats of destruction can be handy.

Comment

I will say in defense of Sledgehammer Fist Punch, we actually came across a scenario last night where it would have been useful. Our brawler wanted to smash through a wall, but at her strength could only bash through it "slowly" and she was pressed for time. Sledgehammer Fist Punch would have allowed her to do it much quicker. It's still not a top tier charm, but it's the kind of thing that opens up the option of neat tricks that might not be viable normally, even with sufficient strength.

Comment

SFP is actually an Athletics charm in disguise.

Comment

Falling Hammer Strike does not enable you to inflict onslaught on opponents with Legendary Size.

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      SFP is actually an Athletics charm in disguise.
                      Not even “in disguise,” it still requires an Athletics roll. I’m honestly not sure what it’s doing trying to be a Brawl Charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                        Falling Hammer Strike does not enable you to inflict onslaught on opponents with Legendary Size.

Not even “in disguise,” it still requires an Athletics roll. I’m honestly not sure what it’s doing trying to be a Brawl Charm.
                        I would posit it’s a hold over from second edition, as solar brawl was based in part from Solar Hero Style in 2nd ed and it had that charm as part of its conceit.

Comment

Could someone please list the purple charms for each type, so I can make a colourblind version?

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheque View Post
                            Could someone please list the purple charms for each type, so I can make a colourblind version?
                            Sure thing:
                            PUNCH: Fists of Iron Technique, Ferocious Jab, Thunderclap Rush Attack, Falling Hammer Strike, One With Violence, Knockout Blow, Adamantine Fists of Battle, Fivefold Fury Onslaught, Striving Aftershock Method, Inevitable Victory Meditation, Heaven Fury Smite, Ascendant Battle Visage

GRAB: Unbreakable Grasp, Devil Strangling Attitude, Crashing Wave Throw, Thunderclap Rush Attack, Oak Curling Clinch, One With Violence, Dragon Coil Technique, Shockwave Technique, Striving Aftershock Method, Superior Violent Knowledge, Inevitable Victory Meditation, Raging Wrath Repeated

Also note a few mentions that charms should go purple in special cases:
                            Iron Battle Focus: If you are fighting other Solar (or Abyssal) Brawlers for any reason whatsoever this charm is super good and you’ll thank the heavens for having it.
                            Wind and Stones Defense : It goes from decent to crazy if used in combination with Reed in the Wind [Dodge] at higher essence.
                            Dancing With Strife Technique: The reset condition is pretty rare, however, so I recommend this charm more strongly to Dawn castes.
                            Adamantine Fists of Battle: The repurchase is the second episode, by the way.
                            Titan Straightening Method: This charm is pretty good on its own, but it becomes truly amazing alongside Raging Wrath Repeated (see below).
                            Apocalypse Flare Attack: It is worth noting that the text defines the range of this charm as “a foe the Solar can perceive” which can become very extreme with the help of charms such as Unsurpassed Sight Discipline [Awareness].
                            Heart Eating Fist: But I digress, really, being able to activate Ascendant Battle Visage without commiting motes is a scary thought and something worthwhile to pursue for the supernal brawler that blundered his way into this branch of the charm tree before reaching Essence 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagara View Post
                              Wind and Stones Defense : It goes from decent to crazy if used in combination with Reed in the Wind [Dodge] at higher essence.
                              I fundamentally disagree with this assessment; I think the whole in this case is definitely not greater than the sum of its parts. I mean, yeah, you can pay 3m 2i to increase your Evasion by up to (Essence+5), but... you could already pay 3m to increase your Evasion by up to 5 and honestly, as a high Essence brawler, how often do you run into the situation where you keep attacking the same guy for 8 or so turns and not turn him into fine red mist?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                              Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...
                              X