Swimming and underwater rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming and underwater rules

Quick question: does anyone know if there are swimming/underwater rules in the core? I swear I remember them being in there and can’t find them. I might be thinking of another edition. I found the drowning rules but that’s it. Anything else in there?

Unless I'm mistaken swimming is covered by athletics and the drowning/holding breathe rules.

Comment

Yes. That and any situational penalties the story teller feels appropriate are basically it.

Well, there is, sort of, a mention in the Difficult Terrain rules on page 199. And the Boyant tag for armors notes that, without it, ​Mobility Penalties will apply to swimming.

Comment

I miss Second Edition’s explicit rules that being underwater imposed a general penalty to actions by characters who are not built to exist underwater. Including a penalty to using projectile weapons.

One of the few marks against Third Edition is treating the matter like the Air-Breathing Mermaid Problem. The problem (Mermaids can’t breathe air) isn’t addressed in the rules, only revealed in the special abilities that let you ignore those rules.

Likewise, fatigue penalties. There should have been a few sentences as a guideline for why and when characters suffer from it. Though I’m fine with not having a mathematical calculation as I think Second Edition had.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          I miss Second Edition’s explicit rules that being underwater imposed a general penalty to actions by characters who are not built to exist underwater. Including a penalty to using projectile weapons.
          That's what the ST is for.

There's a lot of levels of penalty an ST could decide to levy against a PC performing underwater actions, from "no penalty" to "-2 dice" to "you straight-up can't do this thing," with the level at least partially set by how much the ST cares about real-world physics versus high action movie logic. Setting it in stone makes the choice for you, and I'd prefer to leave it to the ST's judgment.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

There was a whole section of Athletics charms about being in the water in the playtest at one point. They all got cut. But at one point they existed.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
              There was a whole section of Athletics charms about being in the water in the playtest at one point. They all got cut. But at one point they existed.

I was actually part of the playtest so I may be remembering this. That would make a lot of sense.

Comment

Mobility Penalties apply to all actions underwater too. Just so you know!

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post
                  I was actually part of the playtest so I may be remembering this. That would make a lot of sense.
                  Considering how odd I’ve found the utter lack of printed swimming Charms (even DBs only have one despite Water Aspects being a thing!), the idea that there were but they got chosen for the chopping block perplexes me even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

Considering how odd I’ve found the utter lack of printed swimming Charms (even DBs only have one despite Water Aspects being a thing!), the idea that there were but they got chosen for the chopping block perplexes me even more.
                    I imagine that for the sake of streamlining charm lists the decision was made to let athletics charms and environmental effect rules suffice for swimming while "giving" storytellers the latitude to adjudicate the grey areas.

I'm not an Ex3 ST but I can see treating swimming as using all athletics charms and athletics with situational modifiers for land-natives as well as drowning rules. Throw in the odd sail charm and Robert is your father's brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                      Well, at least Dragonblooded do have numerous charms that specify how they work underwater. Okay, mostly it is that they ignore penalties, but a few have bonus effects.

Comment

Given that naval combat is a fairly developed thing in this ruleset and that we have water themed exalts, I find it surprising that neither book so far had much in the way of swimming charms. I suppose athletics excellencies and some of the resistance charms cover the bases?

Yes, swimming charms would be situational, but so are sail charms, are they not?

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Thinking about it, I suppose most of the “gotta go fast” Charms are probably also compatible.

Comment

It's certainly my assumption that Lightning Speed enhances swimming the same way it does running (and rushes making use of either sort of movement). And I'd think that Foe-Vaulting Leap could be used to outmaneuver one's opponent in three dimensions underwater.

Sail charms seem to be mostly situational to captaining your own ship, just as Survival charms are mostly situational to having a trained pet/familiar that you want to enhance. Not that Salty Dog Method isn't a neat charm, but I'd have liked the charmset to go into a little more depth for things you can do at sea even if you don't own the boat you're on.
                            Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 05-18-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                              It's certainly my assumption that Lightning Speed enhances swimming the same way it does running (and rushes making use of either sort of movement). And I'd think that Foe-Vaulting Leap could be used to outmaneuver one's opponent in three dimensions underwater.
                              Likewise, I think Monkey Leap Technique allows you to leap out of the water like a dolphin.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                              X