No announcement yet.

Paradox CEO asks for Exalted developers to pitch them a computer game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I highly doubt they'd do it, but Gateway: The Video Game could be fun.

Comment

Make a Mario clone and talk about how incredible Monkey Leap Technique is!

Comment

It'd be hard, right? Considering the versatility of Exalted, all the different types and their power levels. Though I guess taking the CK route where what you do isn't necessarily graphically represented is a good idea.

I think they wouldn't need a pitch for 'CK or Total War, but Exalted' since that's a given.

Yeah their website expands on it.

What they like in games:

And they follow it up with, 'Finally, please don’t send us your game ideas. We’re sure they’re good, maybe even amazing, but we have enough ideas ourselves to last each of us a lifetime.

However if you’ve turned your great, amazing, wonderful idea into a demo, an Alpha/Beta build or maybe even a finished game, don’t hesitate to get in touch if you think your wonderful creation is a good fit for us. Just use the below form.'

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Okay, serious question:

​Was the attempt to adapt the Storyteller system and general range of vampire options to create Bloodlines not something that resulted in a game that, even after managing to come out following repeated delays, was a buggy, broken mess?
          The game was pretty much in beta phase at release, but it has received a lot of fan patches over the years

Comment

*Looks at her literally thousands of hours on Paradox games*

A CK-Style Dinasty game (or a more local focused one, like playing in the Scavenger Lands or the Threshold, with the Realm as the big scary thing from beyond the sea which can send expeditions, finance your enemies and so) would be awesome.

Comment

Yeah, the fan patches make a big difference.

Although the end of the game is still much weaker than the first half.

Anyway, presumably the point of Exalted, from Paradox's POV, is this:
              They own the rights to a unique fantasy setting. One with a lot of Wuxia, pulp and classic influences, so it's a bit different from DnD.

If they want to make a fantasy game, they don't need to make a setting from scratch (like they did with Tyranny, Age of Wonders, etc), and they don't need the buy the rights to one. Obviously making a setting from scratch isn't that problematic, but having a pre-made one provides a ton of lore. For example, if you play Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bioware was able to put in tons of Star Wars lore.

So, the most sensible approach with Exalted would be to either:
              A) Use it as a fantasy setting for a fantasy expansion to Crusader Kings (the cheap approach). There's various fan-made fantasy mods (like Game of Thrones) which are downloaded and played a fair bit, so there'd be some market.
              B) Make a new strategy game with rpg elements. Make a Solar, expand from a base in the Threshold (maybe choose between 4 bases, in different directions), battle various enemy forces. More like Stellaris, Crusader Kings or Age of Wonders than Hearts of Iron.
              C) Make a classic rpg adventure game. Like Dragon Age, something like that. It's probably the one Paradox has least experience with, but Tyranny showed they have the appetite to try it. Though someone mentioned they're no longer working with the CRPG team?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Okay, serious question:

​Was the attempt to adapt the Storyteller system and general range of vampire options to create Bloodlines not something that resulted in a game that, even after managing to come out following repeated delays, was a buggy, broken mess?

...Not particularly?

In CRPG discussions, I'm usually the first person to throw shade at Bloodlines - the combat/stealth/etc. systems are janky as hell and not particularly fun to play, social disciplines inexplicably can't be used in social situations unless you're a Ventrue, the game's third act is a linear sequence of "go to place, punch bad guys, repeat", that fucking sewer level, the portrayal of Malkavian characters (both the story-relevant NPC and the PC's own mental illness) is problematic as fuck, et cetera - but at the same time, they somehow managed to accurately adapt the TTRPG's spirit to a video game. Occasionally. Sometimes.

(Also, compared to the other problems I just listed, the bugs were fairly minor, in my experience at least.)

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

I would be curious to know if Rich had a pitch a game genre to them right this moment, what genre would he suggest? RPG or strategy seem the two most logical options.

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    Yeah, the fan patches make a big difference.

Although the end of the game is still much weaker than the first half.

Anyway, presumably the point of Exalted, from Paradox's POV, is this:
                    They own the rights to a unique fantasy setting. One with a lot of Wuxia, pulp and classic influences, so it's a bit different from DnD.

If they want to make a fantasy game, they don't need to make a setting from scratch (like they did with Tyranny, Age of Wonders, etc), and they don't need the buy the rights to one. Obviously making a setting from scratch isn't that problematic, but having a pre-made one provides a ton of lore. For example, if you play Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bioware was able to put in tons of Star Wars lore.

So, the most sensible approach with Exalted would be to either:
                    A) Use it as a fantasy setting for a fantasy expansion to Crusader Kings (the cheap approach). There's various fan-made fantasy mods (like Game of Thrones) which are downloaded and played a fair bit, so there'd be some market.
                    B) Make a new strategy game with rpg elements. Make a Solar, expand from a base in the Threshold (maybe choose between 4 bases, in different directions), battle various enemy forces. More like Stellaris, Crusader Kings or Age of Wonders than Hearts of Iron.
                    C) Make a classic rpg adventure game. Like Dragon Age, something like that. It's probably the one Paradox has least experience with, but Tyranny showed they have the appetite to try it. Though someone mentioned they're no longer working with the CRPG team?
                    My hope is that they do one of the quote unquote easier ones first to introduce the world to Paradox fans who may be unfamiliar with Exalted and Creation, and if that's a success the expand into other ideas. Because a Tyranny-like game where say, you have a party of Wyld Hunt shikari beating down Anathema and rogue gods would be pretty excellent

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                      I would definitely say a Crusader Kings type of game would probably get the best results. In the past strongly suggested a Total War style game where you could take control of a character and run around Dynasty Warriors style. In a perfect world I would probably want all of it. Crusader Kings style game with Total War Battles and option for Dynasty Warriors control of Exalts.
                      Man if they did a Dynasty Warriors eque game with exalted themes it would be incredible. The entire charmset just makes it pure mass combat gold.

Comment

I would really push for some type of Fourex or grand strategy game. Most other genres would be conceptually awesome but suffer from the fact that most of Exalted's canon characters are pretty boring and bad.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

If I wanted a Solar action game, a Warriors type would be good... Or something done with collaboration with Platinum. Those guys can do a crazy combat engine.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I feel like either a spectacle fighter (pretty much anything Platinum touches, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.) or a Warriors-style game would be necessary to fully convey the individual puissance of the Exalted. A 4X game or Grand Strategy game would fit the setting, but would disguise the WOW factor and the contribution of individual heroism, and a standard CRPG probably wouldn't get quite flashy enough. (Well, unless you went totally JRPG with the sorcery / special attack graphics.)

Or you could remove that from consideration entirely by doing Gateway or a Guild merchant simulator or something else that wouldn't need to be over-the-top.

Comment

I feel like the ballsiest thing possible would be an MMO, playing Dragon Blooded and fighting Solars as raid bosses. I have no reason to think Paradox wants to dip into that space, though.

It’s way more likely they’d do it as a grand strategy game, a la CK2 or Stellaris. If that were the case, I hope they would put some series effort into a combat system that displayed how awesome someone like a Solar would be. Something like Total War, where you see 1 guy ripping up an army.

After they split with Obsidian, I’d be surprised if they did a RPG. I’d love a RPG, I’d just be surprised.

Comment

I'm imagining a cross between Crusader Kings, Total War and... something else. You have the strategic/tactical layer split of Total War. The strategic layer more resembles Crusader Kings, in that it has more vague territories, less detail in troop movement, detailed characters and relations and such. The tactical layer is smaller than Total War, focused on the wild moves of the Exalted. The Exalted themselves would be somewhat like Total War's agents, in that they move on the strategic layer independently, have their own skill trees, steadily level up and rarely die of nonviolent means.
                                Though I suppose a tactical layer would be difficult to reconcile with Paradox's preferred day-by-day turns. But if Exalted are fighting, it should be something to see.

Though then there are some big questions to answer. For example: how would players get new Exalted? If it was entirely random, I imagine it could be frustrating. If it was totally predictable, it wouldn't feel like Exalted.
                                I think the game would also have to diverge quite a lot from both Crusader Kings and Total War in the importance given to territories, armies and individuals. A lone Solar could commandeer a kingdom, and an adequately specialized one could squash a small army ('small' meaning 'not large enough to have it's own Exalted'). In Crusader Kings, individuals are still fairly abstract; where they are and what they're doing at any given time is only occasionally elaborated on. In Total War, generals and agents are defined by their importance to armies and cities. In Exalted, the... well, EXALTED would ideally take center stage.

But yes, the video game I think of when I think 'Exalted' is 'Grand Strategy of Great Men'.

Comment

Working...
                                X