X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mewtarthio
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    I feel as though just about any genre would need to be more of a Shard then the RPG setting and system.
    *gasp* Gunstar Autochthonia: The Video Game! Whose heart do I need to sacrifice to make that happen?!

Leave a comment:

• BjornTheFellhanded
    replied
    I think one of the best suited types of games for Exalted would be the old Heroes of Might and Magic series. I'm not sure how economically viable that genre is at the moment, though.

And the Burn Legend shard was already pretty much a Japanese brawler tournament game in PnP form.

Leave a comment:

• Valles
    replied
    Ever since watching a review of Frostpunk, I've been haunted by the mental image of a similar survival/city-building game focused on the founding and rise of Xexas.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I was thinking about the idea of JRPGs that include things other than fighting mechanics, and remembered the upcoming release of Octopath Traveller.

​Quite apart from having certain possible interactions with characters and the setting that might denote the capabilities of the Exalted beyond fighting, that might also have a suggestion of how one can reveal a sizable world and varied characters in the form of multiple separate character paths with their own starting points that gradually intersect.

As a concept for an Exalted video game, that might be the kind of thing that could effectively capture what distinguishes the property.

Leave a comment:

• Tikor
    replied
    Having spent a few hundred hours in CK:2, I'll be perfectly happy with CK: Exalted Edition.

But for an unlikely suggestion: I'd love to see a re-up of the partnership with Taleworlds and make whatever a righteously awesome name for 'Mount and Blade: Exalted' would be. Fist and Steed? Mandate of Heaven? Return of the Lawgivers?

For those who aren't familiar, Mount and Blade is a sandbox that has both an 'overview' and 'combat' type mode. You start as some random chump who forms a mercenary company, from which paths readily diverge. You can be a merchant, or a bandit hunter, local hero of the people, a businessman, etc. The context is set among six warring kingdoms, ruled by six squabbling kings to whom you can sell your sword. Serve loyally, and you may become a lordling in your own right. You may rebel against your king, starting your own faction, and go on to persuade lords of your own to join your banner (who are hungry for land and jealous of other bannermen).

I've played a few times as unstoppable warrior, silver-tongued leader of men, and just someone rich enough to tell anyone to stay out of my business. Any of whom I think would have a fair shot against the other a war (the warrior has few fellow soldiers, the leader of men is constantly worried about money, and the rich man can buy mercenaries, sprouting high-level army in a few days, or several should the first one fall). I think the 'overview' mode would be able to convey the scale of Creation, while the 'combat' mode could portray the individual awesome of combat-focused Exalted.

Leave a comment:

• ParanoiaCombo
    replied
    Since the likely ones are already discussed (Games which Paradox does well anyways: Exalted flavored), I'd like to suggest something outside of the norm. Partner with Arcsys and do an Exalted 3v3 Team-Based fighting game.Why? Because Arcsys has done the impossible in their games already, translated what makes anime fight scenes into the mechanics of a polished game while retaining a level of fine-grained mechanical detail. They made the only Dragon Ball Z fighting game that isn't a dumpster fire.

Just think about all the possible mechanical permutations you can stack onto a fighting game, then consider how Exalted 3E dug heavily into the mechanical minutae of charms and powers. The main problem with an Exalted fighter is, frankly, not a lot of overlap in the communities. For one thing, you can't get plot armor in a fighter.

Anyways, since that isn't gonna happen just give me CK2: Exalted edition like we all want anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Abakus
    replied
    Originally posted by Drazhya View Post

Though then there are some big questions to answer. For example: how would players get new Exalted? If it was entirely random, I imagine it could be frustrating. If it was totally predictable, it wouldn't feel like Exalted.
    I think the game would also have to diverge quite a lot from both Crusader Kings and Total War in the importance given to territories, armies and individuals. A lone Solar could commandeer a kingdom, and an adequately specialized one could squash a small army ('small' meaning 'not large enough to have it's own Exalted'). In Crusader Kings, individuals are still fairly abstract; where they are and what they're doing at any given time is only occasionally elaborated on. In Total War, generals and agents are defined by their importance to armies and cities. In Exalted, the... well, EXALTED would ideally take center stage.

But yes, the video game I think of when I think 'Exalted' is 'Grand Strategy of Great Men'.
    I think “how do you get Exalted” would be based on what splats are playable. Dragon-blooded can be hired or persuaded. A Solar would probably be a special event where you have to go and recruit them or rescue them. I imagine some kind of Wyld Hunt meter or probability that measures how likely the Realm is to sic the Immaculates on you, and getting more Exalted would risk that.

As with any armchair game development, I have a ton of ideas and neither the time nor the expertise to cobble together a beta!

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I understand that, in adapting the 108 Stars stories, at least one of the Suikoden games functions off of an unusual number of player characters, even by the standards of a JRPG. So something like that might be a functional way of depicting the setting in terms of a large number of Exalted.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I feel as though an effective Exalted game that could be realistically designed would need to rebuild some things for the medium. Probably strip the setting down to tone and basic concepts, and rebuild from there. Maybe consolidate the concept of the Solar Exalted as a whole down to a single individual, if it's functioning off of the narrative of returning to a world in peril.

​That's just for an action/adventure game, but I feel as though just about any genre would need to be more of a Shard then the RPG setting and system.

Originally posted by drakor
    if they did a Dynasty Warriors eque game with exalted themes it would be incredible

​I'm genuinely curious about what the appeal of Dynasty Warriors is.

Leave a comment:

• Drazhya
    replied
    I'm imagining a cross between Crusader Kings, Total War and... something else. You have the strategic/tactical layer split of Total War. The strategic layer more resembles Crusader Kings, in that it has more vague territories, less detail in troop movement, detailed characters and relations and such. The tactical layer is smaller than Total War, focused on the wild moves of the Exalted. The Exalted themselves would be somewhat like Total War's agents, in that they move on the strategic layer independently, have their own skill trees, steadily level up and rarely die of nonviolent means.
    Though I suppose a tactical layer would be difficult to reconcile with Paradox's preferred day-by-day turns. But if Exalted are fighting, it should be something to see.

Though then there are some big questions to answer. For example: how would players get new Exalted? If it was entirely random, I imagine it could be frustrating. If it was totally predictable, it wouldn't feel like Exalted.
    I think the game would also have to diverge quite a lot from both Crusader Kings and Total War in the importance given to territories, armies and individuals. A lone Solar could commandeer a kingdom, and an adequately specialized one could squash a small army ('small' meaning 'not large enough to have it's own Exalted'). In Crusader Kings, individuals are still fairly abstract; where they are and what they're doing at any given time is only occasionally elaborated on. In Total War, generals and agents are defined by their importance to armies and cities. In Exalted, the... well, EXALTED would ideally take center stage.

But yes, the video game I think of when I think 'Exalted' is 'Grand Strategy of Great Men'.

Leave a comment:

• Abakus
    replied
    I feel like the ballsiest thing possible would be an MMO, playing Dragon Blooded and fighting Solars as raid bosses. I have no reason to think Paradox wants to dip into that space, though.

It’s way more likely they’d do it as a grand strategy game, a la CK2 or Stellaris. If that were the case, I hope they would put some series effort into a combat system that displayed how awesome someone like a Solar would be. Something like Total War, where you see 1 guy ripping up an army.

After they split with Obsidian, I’d be surprised if they did a RPG. I’d love a RPG, I’d just be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    I feel like either a spectacle fighter (pretty much anything Platinum touches, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.) or a Warriors-style game would be necessary to fully convey the individual puissance of the Exalted. A 4X game or Grand Strategy game would fit the setting, but would disguise the WOW factor and the contribution of individual heroism, and a standard CRPG probably wouldn't get quite flashy enough. (Well, unless you went totally JRPG with the sorcery / special attack graphics.)

Or you could remove that from consideration entirely by doing Gateway or a Guild merchant simulator or something else that wouldn't need to be over-the-top.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    If I wanted a Solar action game, a Warriors type would be good... Or something done with collaboration with Platinum. Those guys can do a crazy combat engine.

Leave a comment:

• Steamfunk
    replied
    I would really push for some type of Fourex or grand strategy game. Most other genres would be conceptually awesome but suffer from the fact that most of Exalted's canon characters are pretty boring and bad.

Leave a comment:

• drakor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hark View Post
    I would definitely say a Crusader Kings type of game would probably get the best results. In the past strongly suggested a Total War style game where you could take control of a character and run around Dynasty Warriors style. In a perfect world I would probably want all of it. Crusader Kings style game with Total War Battles and option for Dynasty Warriors control of Exalts.
    Man if they did a Dynasty Warriors eque game with exalted themes it would be incredible. The entire charmset just makes it pure mass combat gold.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X