Paradox CEO asks for Exalted developers to pitch them a computer game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradox CEO asks for Exalted developers to pitch them a computer game

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262666195 31minutes in.

As a big fan of Paradox games and of course Exalted I was very thrilled to hear their CEO say he thinks Exalted 3e was really good and outright say in a stream to ask for a dev to come pitch them something. Even if it isn't something viable right now for the game line this kind of interest has to be cool to hear. My Exalted video game dreams are more realistic than I thought!

• TGUEIROS
    replied
    Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
    Now that Paradox has brought Harebrained...

A tactical RPG set in the early days of the Second Age. The Contagion recently happened, and you are a Dragon-Blooded officer, with your Sworn Kinship, fighting either for the Realm, for Lookshy, or for your own kingdom. Tactical combat, Fire Emblem style, with some elements of Shadowrun (different kind of attacks, spells in battle, different ranges...), in which each hero can be personalized with cool charms/spells and artifacts, each one changing his or her style (blue jade armor gives extra movement, and even can ignore any terrain as it is able to fly at higher levels, for example. And more unique/legendary armors or weapons can have even bigger effects), warstriders, Fae, Lunars and other enemies, each one requiring varied tactics and strategies...
    I hadn't thought of this! I would definitely buy Exalted FFT.

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    Now that Paradox has brought Harebrained...

A tactical RPG set in the early days of the Second Age. The Contagion recently happened, and you are a Dragon-Blooded officer, with your Sworn Kinship, fighting either for the Realm, for Lookshy, or for your own kingdom. Tactical combat, Fire Emblem style, with some elements of Shadowrun (different kind of attacks, spells in battle, different ranges...), in which each hero can be personalized with cool charms/spells and artifacts, each one changing his or her style (blue jade armor gives extra movement, and even can ignore any terrain as it is able to fly at higher levels, for example. And more unique/legendary armors or weapons can have even bigger effects), warstriders, Fae, Lunars and other enemies, each one requiring varied tactics and strategies...

Leave a comment:

• Tikor
    replied
    Originally posted by Broken25 View Post
    Exalted the computer game already exists.

It's called dominions.
    Thanks for bringing this game up! It sounds pretty great!

Leave a comment:

• Broken25
    replied
    Exalted the computer game already exists.

It's called dominions.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    Not every game Paradox has published was a grand strategy game - there have also been smaller scale tactics-and-management games, like the recent Battletech, RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, and even action games like Magicka.

Personally, I think Exalted is at its most interesting when it's focused on individual characters and their grand, epic stories, as opposed to society-wide logistics. I would hope for a narrative-focused game over something like Stellaris or Europa.
    I agree: my preference would be an RPG: you make a Solar, pick up various companions (a Lunar or two, a Sidereal, an Exigent, etc) as you go, and do a quest that involves travelling around different exotic locales until you find a way to defeat the big bad. That, I think, would work best.

But it's not Paradox's expertise.

I certainly think CK and EU are not focused enough on the power of the characters, but something like Age of Wonders might be okay.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    Not every game Paradox has published was a grand strategy game - there have also been smaller scale tactics-and-management games, like the recent Battletech, RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, and even action games like Magicka.
    The keyword with at least Battletech there is "published." Harebrained Schemes developed it, and as I recall started the process independently and offered it to Paradox only partway through. I do imagine we could see more variety in an Exalted game if Paradox wasn't the only name on the box, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied

Personally, I think Exalted is at its most interesting when it's focused on individual characters and their grand, epic stories, as opposed to society-wide logistics. I would hope for a narrative-focused game over something like Stellaris or Europa.

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    I think Forex + Tactical RPG could also be a good fit. Disgaea has shown us that you can do all kinds of craziness with what a tactical RPG can do, combat wise. Also it can be 2d so that simpler assets can be used for procedural generation to sidestep the "new canon" issue, and also allow for Solar Level map changes.

"you completed a massive Solar Working, there is now an inland sea in the the middle of the South"

Leave a comment:

• Tikor
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    How strict is that game to following historical borders?
    I have to agree with Epee102 that county border are fixed. Another way of saying 'In this river basin there will be a town, a castle, and a church.' Any such county can, when starting at an early enough year and investing enough gold, rise to prominence above her peers by having more and better troops, fortifications, economy, etc.

But, using my creaky memory, I recall that the duchy, nation, and empire borders are highly fluid - for example the Aquitaine duchy could be controlled by England or France at any given time, and may or may not include certain counties, and may or may not be part of the Holy Roman Empire. Claims have a kind of shadow influence to try and keep consistency, giving lords a cassus belli to reunite, say, Germany. And duchies never expand beyond their historical norm, only contract. Nations and Empries can expand beyond their historical norms.

I'd imagine in CK: Exalted Edition, that the Blessed Isle and Dynastic politics would be most easily portrayed, with the various provinces and dominions entering at the level of countries, and the Isle as a whole operating as an Empire, and we'd get plenty of penciled-in duchies and counties to wonderfully expand the lore of the Blessed Isle.

However, if the Threshold were incorporated, it would make sense to have a Western, Northern, Eastern, and Southern Empire, with nations like An-Teng, The Haslanti League, Wavecrest, Halta, etc. with their sub-ducies like the Shorelands, the Middle-Lands, and the Mountainlands(?) subdivisions in An-Teng.

If locales beyond Creation are included, I expect the Empire of Rakshastan, a separate Empire for each imprisoned Yozi world-body, an Empire for Yu-Shan, mirror Empires in the Underworld, etc. etc.

All of that meaning that, say, the Empire of the Blessed Isle aka the Realm could conquer portions of the Threshold to make their own, but that the nation of An-Teng could be conquered by/swear fealty to the Realm while remaining it's own distinct geographical entity, that, through parochial concerns happens to have lost a county or two on the Shorelands to the Lintha while maintaining dominion over an annex that was once the Cinder Isles, and another that used to be part of the Lap, all three of which could lead to wars within and without the Empire of the Realm.

Leave a comment:

• Epee102
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    I'm not too familar with CK, but something I am curious about.

How strict is that game to following historical borders? Something I am worried on with a Creation one is that it would "Fix" the map a bit too much. I kind of wonder if it were possible for it to "anchor" to some real places, but how it fills in the gaps being a lto broader/able to generate random new spots that have similar size and power aas canonical lcoations, but still feel integrated.

At least that's to me a big thing with an Exalted game. Settings for video games at times feel more 'codified" than RPGs. And I kind of am skittish about the idea of the map being filled in again or WW dictating the books need ot match video game decisions in exectuivve decision.

CK2 is one I'm iffy on for this reason: It's very strict to at least county borders. I could see it if you limited th map to say...the blessed isle. But it's borders are fairly fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    I'm not too familar with CK, but something I am curious about.

How strict is that game to following historical borders? Something I am worried on with a Creation one is that it would "Fix" the map a bit too much. I kind of wonder if it were possible for it to "anchor" to some real places, but how it fills in the gaps being a lto broader/able to generate random new spots that have similar size and power aas canonical lcoations, but still feel integrated.

At least that's to me a big thing with an Exalted game. Settings for video games at times feel more 'codified" than RPGs. And I kind of am skittish about the idea of the map being filled in again or WW dictating the books need ot match video game decisions in exectuivve decision.

Leave a comment:

• drakor
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    I feel as though an effective Exalted game that could be realistically designed would need to rebuild some things for the medium. Probably strip the setting down to tone and basic concepts, and rebuild from there. Maybe consolidate the concept of the Solar Exalted as a whole down to a single individual, if it's functioning off of the narrative of returning to a world in peril.

​That's just for an action/adventure game, but I feel as though just about any genre would need to be more of a Shard then the RPG setting and system.

​I'm genuinely curious about what the appeal of Dynasty Warriors is.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

I can answer this for me personally. I love that time period of history for China. All of the famous and renowned Generals just always fascinated me. As for the game it is a fun smash em up game that doesn't require tons of though and is challenging enough to hold interest. Great stress reliever.

Leave a comment:

• Krata Lightblade
    replied
    I see CK With DBs, I see Character Action With Solars.

Why not Character Action or RPG With DBs?

Does anyone NOT think a final boss being a mad Anathema monster trying to take over the world would be awesome...?

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    I’d really love an all Alchemical rpg set entirely in Autochthonia, including full ability to modify characters via swapping out Charms, etc. it would convert to the video game rpg format very well.

But I realize that’s way lower on priority to Creation based games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X