[Bestiary] The Thousand Sanctioned Beasts — Sorcerers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bestiary] The Thousand Sanctioned Beasts — Sorcerers

I return with a new entry in my bestiary, with ready-to-order stats for the ST in a hurry! The first entry was martial artists. The second entry was elementals.

Today, I'm bringing you a crop of sorcerers! This entry includes four different types of magical fellow:
    • the immortal, for magically-enhanced bodies (here's looking at you, Ysyr)
    • the demonologist, for everybody who makes ichorous friends a key business strategy
    • the necromancer, for soul-sucking assholes everywhere
    • the exorcist, for hard-working sohei, Sijanese professionals, and everybody who helps you sleep at night and the dead sleep forever.
    Because I knew you'd want them, I also included player-facing versions of all their spells. It's fun for the whole family, especially the parts who have demon flowers embedded in their torso and won't stop smiling!

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

I like these, but Master’s Call seems way too powerful.

I’m also not sure I “get” the Immortal. I mean, if they’re supposed to be a front-line combatant, I would have expected more spells like Invulnerable Skin of Bronze or Wood Dragon’s Claw that give them a nice long term boost and let them get to killing, instead of having a bunch of spells they’ll need to spend multiple turns casting.
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 05-20-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

It definitely wouldn't hurt them to have either of those spells; I just felt vaguely obligated to provide new content. Adding something like that would be an excellent way to make them tougher (although you might need to reskin them a bit to match the aesthetic).

Generally speaking, it's less that they're a front-line fighter and more that they don't mind being in the front line, so that they can mix it up and let their shaping ritual charge up motes for them every turn until they've got a spell ready.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I'm unqualified as ever to comment on mechanics, but the spells have fantastic flavor. I'm a big fan of Star-Catcher's Word.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
          I like these, but Master’s Call seems way too powerful.
          I would never let a player have it, but as a one off to let a Mortal Sorcerer Overlord pose a serious challenge to the PCs, I definitely like it.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post

I would never let a player have it, but as a one off to let a Mortal Sorcerer Overlord pose a serious challenge to the PCs, I definitely like it.
            Its a simple action, but the effect its the same as the occult charm Spirit-Manifesting Word.

Comment

Did we have a discussion thread for the Martial Artists? I can’t find it.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                Did we have a discussion thread for the Martial Artists? I can’t find it.

No, but Rand's martial aritists can be found here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...artial-artists

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post

Yeah, except for the spells, which I explicitly rewrote separate versions for players to use if they liked, I didn't bother balancing these against hypothetical versions for mortal players to buy with XP or consider their appropriateness as player-buyable mechanics. The demonologist can materialize demons for a WP because that's a useful ability for him to have if the ST accidentally rolls him into an encounter without any visible demons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Its a simple action, but the effect its the same as the occult charm Spirit-Manifesting Word.
                    That really isn't a problem when it is on a QC that will be fighting 1 to 5 Solar Exalts. Balance is a contextual thing and what's fine for an NPC is not always fine for a PC.

Originally posted by Rand Brittain View Post

Yeah, except for the spells, which I explicitly rewrote separate versions for players to use if they liked, I didn't bother balancing these against hypothetical versions for mortal players to buy with XP or consider their appropriateness as player-buyable mechanics. The demonologist can materialize demons for a WP because that's a useful ability for him to have if the ST accidentally rolls him into an encounter without any visible demons.
                    It's good stuff. I like all of your bestiaries. The martial artists in particular do a good job of creating more dangerous mortals for Exalt light games. Also, as far as reskins go, the martial arts techniques are a great way to build some quick, easy to manage, powerful monsters to stand in as tomb guardians, powerful ghost warriors, first circle demons, and the like. I don't know if you've read some of Sandact6's bestiary, but it also does a lot of interesting stuff where it throws out some of the corebook assumptions and tries to make antagonists that are interesting to fight.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

No, but Rand's martial aritists can be found here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...artial-artists
                      Ah, excellent, thank you.

I always wondered whether some of the QCs were Sidereal or Gentimian Exalted with the serial numbers filed off. Care to provide gentle enlightenment, Rand?

Prototype00

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Ah, excellent, thank you.

I always wondered whether some of the QCs were Sidereal or Gentimian Exalted with the serial numbers filed off. Care to provide gentle enlightenment, Rand?

Prototype00

Considering that a couple of them popped up in Rand's game, using some of the iconic Sidereal tricks,I think it's a safe asumption that yes, that a "Here's a secret Sidereal for your games to tide you over until we get around to that book".

Comment

Yeah, the starry-eyed master is a Sidereal, and the yin-yang master is a Getimian.

Comment

Dear Rand Brittain, all your works are fantastic and I look forward to using them in my future games. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                            X